Used 2004 Ford Mustang Coupe Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Ford Mustang - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Mustang model:

Most Helpful|
Good Car for me
By kari74

2004 Ford Mustang Coupe Deluxe 2dr Coupe (3.8L 6cyl 5M)

I have always liked the Ford Mustang. My first and second cars were both Mustangs. Although I am somewhat unhappy with the 2004 (I could not afford the GT), I have more good to say about it than bad. I enjoy driving it daily to and from work. Acceleration is quick with the manual transmission and gas mileage is still pretty good for a V-6. The seats aren't the best, but I'm not uncomfortable in them.

Favorite Features

Steering wheel cruise control buttons are handy. Two tone "retro" styling of the dash.

Suggested Improvements

Use less plastic for the interior, it cheapens the car. Give the seats a little more style because they seem very blah.

hot red
By aa1977

2004 Ford Mustang Coupe 2dr Coupe (3.8L 6cyl 5M)

I love this car, too bad there isn't more hp, but its great! It's cute; mine is red, people love it, they always want to race with me. I have a 5 speed, and I must say, it's not bad on gas at all. I was thinking of buying another but I like the 2005 Infiniti G35, which will be my nice buy because its faster! Highly recommended.

Favorite Features

It's cute, 2 door coupe.. 5 speed.

Suggested Improvements

more horsepower.

don't listen to any discuraging adults
By darren

2004 Ford Mustang Coupe 2dr Coupe (3.8L 6cyl 5M)

I am a 20 year old man. I bought a mustang last year just after my 19 birthday. I always wanted a mustang all my life.And when the day came that my parents let me make my own decisions i was the extremely happy. No matter what people say about mustangs and believe me i have heard them all The car is absolutely top notch. Insurance is not too bad and I the fuel economy is actually pretty good especially if you have a standard Use the same amount of gas as a v6 engine just as a hyundai tiburon V6 which i actually traded in for the stang. To sum it up: Car is great, fun to drive, good on gas, good car for a 18-25 year old due to insurance. Have fun you only get fora couple ofyears due to marige

Favorite Features

suprisingly decent on gas, no matter what websites or people say about it. just give the car a chance to proove itself. Remember if you dont harrass the car it will give you decent gas mileage

Suggested Improvements

stereo needs work but just go buy one from future shop or best buy they suited me really well with one not too expensive either

1st Mustang for the family
By Fenderboss

2004 Ford Mustang Coupe GT Premium 2dr Coupe (4.6L 8cyl 5M)

Moving to a Mustang has been an interesting experience. This is the first Mustang our family has owned and we find that there is a lot of coveting of the cars from everyone. I use it as a daily driver, and my commute is a joy covering 20 miles on some twisty country back roads. There is very little we don't enjoy about the car. That said, there are probably better interiors out there as well as fuel economy, but these shortcomings are more than compensated for when it comes to the overall experience of driving a proper American muscle car.

Favorite Features

Throaty V8, 5 speed, leather seats, visibility, and driving characteristics. There are very few things I enjoy more than rolling down the windows and opening up the throttle on a curvy back road. The exhaust note is fantastic and the response of the car is sublime.

Suggested Improvements

The interior could definitely use more attention in terms of build quality. I have yet to reach out to a Mustang owner who hasn't broken or had to replace at least once interior door handle due cheap plastic parts. A bit larger fuel tank would be nice to improve the overall range of the car.

Favorite Car I've Owned
By automaniac9

2004 Ford Mustang Coupe GT Premium 2dr Coupe (4.6L 8cyl 5M)

Bought this car with 104,000 miles on it, and wow, good car for the money. It might seem like thats high mileage, but I bought it with an extended warrenty. I bought it with many performance upgrades, and I have to say it helps this car with its performance and personality. I drove a stock 01 GT, and it felt a bit boring. The interior leaves something to be desired, but it's simple and has no extra fluff you don't need. All in all, it is a good all rounder that now a days is a good used alternantive to a brand new one.

Favorite Features

The power is great for a powertrain combo that essentially is from 1999. The live rear axle is ancient by engineering points, but it keeps the car fun to drive and is more durable than an independant set up. The Mach 460 sound system is a great system that provides good bass and treble. The gas mileage isn't too bad either; I get about 21 mpg between 65/35 highway/city driving, and with 3.90 rear gearing.

Suggested Improvements

This car is cramped inside for people in the back. You can't fit people in the back unless they're under 5'7", and even then, it's not what I'd call comfortable. The front seats are comfortable but they are set a little too high, which makes it feel like you're riding on the car instead of in it. The Tremec 3650 5-speed could be a little easier to shift; sometimes it doesn't go into gear the way you'd want it to.