2004 Ford Mustang Base Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Ford Mustang - Consumer Reviews

2004 Mustang Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Mustang model:

Sort Reviews by

Reliable car
By bull_gator

2004 Ford Mustang GT Premium 2dr Coupe (4.6L 8cyl 5M)

Only a few problems have shown up in 107K miles. I have replaced the fuel pump, alternator, battery, tires, and suspension. Of those, only the fuel pump was unexpected. The rest are things you expect to replace.

Favorite Features

Price and placement of the car in the automotive world. It is peppy and fun to drive but not a car that cannot be handled by a newer driver. Leather seats are comfortable and wear well. You know what to expect out of these cars.

Suggested Improvements

Interior is typical mustang - as much plastic as they can get away with. Heated seats would be nice as would power seats for the passenger.

Favorite Car I've Owned
By automaniac9

2004 Ford Mustang GT Premium 2dr Coupe (4.6L 8cyl 5M)

Bought this car with 104,000 miles on it, and wow, good car for the money. It might seem like thats high mileage, but I bought it with an extended warrenty. I bought it with many performance upgrades, and I have to say it helps this car with its performance and personality. I drove a stock 01 GT, and it felt a bit boring. The interior leaves something to be desired, but it's simple and has no extra fluff you don't need. All in all, it is a good all rounder that now a days is a good used alternantive to a brand new one.

Favorite Features

The power is great for a powertrain combo that essentially is from 1999. The live rear axle is ancient by engineering points, but it keeps the car fun to drive and is more durable than an independant set up. The Mach 460 sound system is a great system that provides good bass and treble. The gas mileage isn't too bad either; I get about 21 mpg between 65/35 highway/city driving, and with 3.90 rear gearing.

Suggested Improvements

This car is cramped inside for people in the back. You can't fit people in the back unless they're under 5'7", and even then, it's not what I'd call comfortable. The front seats are comfortable but they are set a little too high, which makes it feel like you're riding on the car instead of in it. The Tremec 3650 5-speed could be a little easier to shift; sometimes it doesn't go into gear the way you'd want it to.

Super Pony Car !
By beate

2004 Ford Mustang Premium 2dr Convertible (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

This is my first Mustang, first convertible and first V6 ! I really wanted a convertible, and it really is great ! You actually feel good sitting in and driving the car, and it is spunky enough for a sports car. Really enjoyable, the interior is really pretty, all leather. My 8 year old girl iis overjoyed, and myself being 50 I really have a great time driving it, with or without the top down. Used to have a 5 liter Capri back in the 80s, and although that had a lot more power this newer Mustang is much more comfortable to drive. Gas mileage for this V6 is pretty good ! Beate, Frederick, MD

Best shape its ever been in...
By WASaproudowner

2004 Ford Mustang GT Deluxe 2dr Coupe (4.6L 8cyl 5M)

I HAD a 2004 GT until last week when my girlfriend totaled it. she was t- boned it went air-borne did 5 flips and landed upside down. that car saved her life however and even though its a total loss its the best shape i've ever seen it in

Favorite Features

Loved the way it sounded. it had a lot of power. was able to withstand 7 flips and save my girl's life

Suggested Improvements

not a thing

1st Mustang for the family
By Fenderboss

2004 Ford Mustang GT Premium 2dr Coupe (4.6L 8cyl 5M)

Moving to a Mustang has been an interesting experience. This is the first Mustang our family has owned and we find that there is a lot of coveting of the cars from everyone. I use it as a daily driver, and my commute is a joy covering 20 miles on some twisty country back roads. There is very little we don't enjoy about the car. That said, there are probably better interiors out there as well as fuel economy, but these shortcomings are more than compensated for when it comes to the overall experience of driving a proper American muscle car.

Favorite Features

Throaty V8, 5 speed, leather seats, visibility, and driving characteristics. There are very few things I enjoy more than rolling down the windows and opening up the throttle on a curvy back road. The exhaust note is fantastic and the response of the car is sublime.

Suggested Improvements

The interior could definitely use more attention in terms of build quality. I have yet to reach out to a Mustang owner who hasn't broken or had to replace at least once interior door handle due cheap plastic parts. A bit larger fuel tank would be nice to improve the overall range of the car.

My First Car
By Mustang04

2004 Ford Mustang 2dr Coupe (3.8L 6cyl 5M)

My parents bought this car for me for my first car. I am definitely a car person and was thrilled to get a Mustang. This car is so reliable. Every time I need to go somewhere I know that it will get me there safely. I also get excellent gas mileage. I usually get between 23 and 26 highway driving.If you take good care of your Mustang and treat it right you will not have any problems.

Favorite Features

I like the body style, the black interior,the Mustang sound (because its a manual), the view out of the mirrors and windows, and the sound system, and the removable large cup holder for large drinks.

Suggested Improvements

My only complaint would be not a lot of room in the backseat but what do you expect? It's a muscle car. Overall this is an excellent car and I would recommend it to anyone.

It's a Mustang
By Topless04

2004 Ford Mustang Premium 2dr Convertible (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

Rides like a buckboard, reasonable handling, mileage, and the Mach stereo is a beast! If you don't like a Mustang convertible, let's look at your choices. An older Cavalier, a Sebring or LeBaron that will likely have numerous issues, a costly BMW or a Porsche that is likely beyond costly for similar year and miles. It's the only choice out there under $12,000 with low miles.

Favorite Features

Top down, Mach stereo up.

Suggested Improvements

There are none. Ford did a pretty good job. Yes, the car has issues, but for the price it can't be beat. Door panels are below average. Just for looks back seat, it's a Mustang, not a Lincoln. Deeper rear end gears - like 3.55 would solve many issues, but this car isn't about speed, it's about fun!

The Ultimate Toy for those over 49
By Topless04Stang

2004 Ford Mustang Premium 2dr Convertible (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

My black Mustang rides like a buckboard, the leather seats are flat, the interior door panels and console are cheap. It's a Mustang for crying out loud. It's an icon, a legend. The Mach 6 CD am-fm stereo is simply amazing. Your choices for a convertible are rather limited. A Chysler Sebring, a Pontiac that they quit making, a BMW with a price tag over two times any similar Mustang. The Mustang is the only logical choice. Smooth and easy top operation. The trunk holds what it needs too. Golf clubs, baseball bags, tennis rackets, groceries, 2 medium suitcases. No its not big, its a sports car, not a luxo boat. The people that complain about this car are ill, please see a doctor.

Favorite Features

Top down, Mach stereo UP, cruising through town to run some errands or tooling down the interstate. 22 mpg around town so far, isn't bad to me.

Suggested Improvements

I can't think a thing. I think Ford did a wonderful job. We all make trade offs, set priorities. Overall they put their best foot forward for the price in 04. If you have kids, are too big, are worried about mpg or need a smoother ride, buy a car that fits your needs. Don't speak ill of a Mustang!

My Mustang gets 22.23 MPG over two years
By Shirley

2004 Ford Mustang 2dr Coupe (3.8L 6cyl 5M)

My Mustang gets 22.23 MPG over two years. This is a fact. I've kept careful and accurate records. Regular gas. I don't remember which coupe I have. It's the anniversary issue. Red. I love it.

Favorite Features

Good gas mileage. Beautiful red finish. Bucket seats are very comfortable.

love it
By MY FIRST CAR

2004 Ford Mustang 2dr Coupe (3.8L 6cyl 5M)

My parents got me this car for my first one, and let me say they shouldn't have it has way more horsepower then i need but i don't care i like it. It runs great is very smooth and sounds great. I love the white color it is just a great car. I want to keep it and give it to my son or daughter

Favorite Features

the radio is so loud and easy to reach when your driving. and well just about everything else.

Suggested Improvements

the back is the only problem. But my brother is the only one that ever sits back there