Used 2004 Ford Mustang SVT Cobra Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Ford Mustang - Consumer Reviews

2004 Ford Mustang SVT Cobra

View reviews for a specific Mustang model:

Nothing I'd rather drive
By Mike

2004 Ford Mustang SVT Cobra SVT Cobra 2dr Coupe (4.6L 8cyl S/C 6M)

Ford got it right 7 years ago with the 03-04 Terminator Cobra. I've owned several pony cars before finally finding the right Cobra last year. All I can say is wow. Great looks, I love the heat extractors and the SVT wheels. Great sound, from the low growl of the exhaust to the turbine scream of the Eaton supercharger. Great drive, the car puts it's power down nicley, handles much better than a 3600 lb nose heavy car should. After a new supercharger pulley and an exhaust, these will truly terminate almost anything else on the road. I'm making 460hp to the wheels. 2010 Camaro? Ha!

Favorite Features

Addictive supercharger, smooth shifting 6 speed transmission, sublime handling IRS.

Suggested Improvements

Give SVT it's autonomy back! It used to be something truly special and different. Enthusiasts hand building cars for enthusiasts. Now, as the previous reviewer noted, it's just a marketing tool.

An amazing SVT Team!
By rick

2004 Ford Mustang SVT Cobra SVT Cobra 2dr Convertible (4.6L 8cyl S/C 6M)

I loved driving this car! I purchased new and just sold due to unemployment. I previously owned an 02 Lightning. I am sold on everything that the Coletti SVT group put their stamp on. This came to an end with the release of the 2005 GT. I find it sad that folks are still buying live axle mustangs/shelby's when they had the Independent Rear Suspension for the SVT Cobra's! This 2004 Cobra Convertible was the best most advanced and most powerful Mustang "Production" car to come out of Dearborn, which shut down after the 2004 model year. SVT was special! Now, it's a badge.

Favorite Features

blinding acceleration! Power anytime, amyplace at your disposal! 4 wheel independent suspention made handling tight and easily controlled with power. Nothing better then that 400plus hp V8 under your right foot with that beautiful rumble of the exhaust.

Suggested Improvements

Original concept was to treat SVT Customers well. That, ford just could never get. Ford was miserable to work with from service to sales to regional and corporate and my backyard. Bully's discribes them best. This after I paid cash for this new SVT Cobra. Loved the car, never support ford again.

Muscle Car Returns
By Steve

2004 Ford Mustang SVT Cobra SVT Cobra 2dr Coupe (4.6L 8cyl S/C 6M)

I grew up during the muscle car era when they ruled main streets all over America. With the mid- 70s oil crisis muscle cars slowly faded away. Finally, John Coletti, another baby boomer finally resurrected the power and feel of a muscle car. With a 2004 Mustang GT, I had to shift down to 3rd gear to get decent torque and yet feel more power in 6th gear on the highway for passing in the SVT Cobra, making highway driving a dream! The SN95 is the ultimate aerodynamic body style ever made for the Mustang and from the front, nothing beats the 03-04 SVT Cobra fascia. Compared to all other performance cars this is the ONLY one you could get new for under $40,000.

Favorite Features

I love both the interior and exterior design above any other model of Mustang.

Suggested Improvements

Too late for the factory, but nice to have on the stock vehicle would have been a short throw shifter, factory ported supercharger, stiffer IRS bushings, and more free flowing intake and exhaust.

Got to love the HP
By 2004sccobra

2004 Ford Mustang SVT Cobra SVT Cobra 2dr Coupe (4.6L 8cyl S/C 6M)

I have enjoyed this vehicle. I usually drive it on nice days (trying to keep the miles low and in good shape) I have had a few problems with maintenace issues but other than that it has been a blast to drive. The Ford dealer where I take it has been very understanding. I blew up the tranny on the track and they still did the warranty work. Other than what they call "tip in clunk" I would not change a thing.

Favorite Features

Mystic chome paint! All of the accents inside to match the paint. The HP! I have a KN intake, Diablo Predator programer, under drive pulley and tenioner pulley and it puts down 450HP and a 11.6 QM. All this HP for an extra $500.

Suggested Improvements

With the IRS I found that you get a lot of clunking from it. Dealership says its normal and call it "tip in clunk" in my opinion another way to wait till it is out of warranty then charge you to fix the problem.

03 Cobra Coupe
By BRIAN

2004 Ford Mustang SVT Cobra SVT Cobra 2dr Coupe (4.6L 8cyl S/C 6M)

It is very responsive, great drift car, loves 3.73 gear swap, just needs sticky tires. Torque is always available. Tight suspension doesn't lean on turns

Favorite Features

Supercharger and suspension setup. Exterior very muscle looking

Suggested Improvements

Transmission noise and better shifting quality on 6 speed