2004 Ford Mustang Base Coupe Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Ford Mustang - Consumer Reviews

2004 Mustang Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Mustang model:

Sort Reviews by

Reliable car
By bull_gator

2004 Ford Mustang Coupe GT Premium 2dr Coupe (4.6L 8cyl 5M)

Only a few problems have shown up in 107K miles. I have replaced the fuel pump, alternator, battery, tires, and suspension. Of those, only the fuel pump was unexpected. The rest are things you expect to replace.

Favorite Features

Price and placement of the car in the automotive world. It is peppy and fun to drive but not a car that cannot be handled by a newer driver. Leather seats are comfortable and wear well. You know what to expect out of these cars.

Suggested Improvements

Interior is typical mustang - as much plastic as they can get away with. Heated seats would be nice as would power seats for the passenger.

Favorite Car I've Owned
By automaniac9

2004 Ford Mustang Coupe GT Premium 2dr Coupe (4.6L 8cyl 5M)

Bought this car with 104,000 miles on it, and wow, good car for the money. It might seem like thats high mileage, but I bought it with an extended warrenty. I bought it with many performance upgrades, and I have to say it helps this car with its performance and personality. I drove a stock 01 GT, and it felt a bit boring. The interior leaves something to be desired, but it's simple and has no extra fluff you don't need. All in all, it is a good all rounder that now a days is a good used alternantive to a brand new one.

Favorite Features

The power is great for a powertrain combo that essentially is from 1999. The live rear axle is ancient by engineering points, but it keeps the car fun to drive and is more durable than an independant set up. The Mach 460 sound system is a great system that provides good bass and treble. The gas mileage isn't too bad either; I get about 21 mpg between 65/35 highway/city driving, and with 3.90 rear gearing.

Suggested Improvements

This car is cramped inside for people in the back. You can't fit people in the back unless they're under 5'7", and even then, it's not what I'd call comfortable. The front seats are comfortable but they are set a little too high, which makes it feel like you're riding on the car instead of in it. The Tremec 3650 5-speed could be a little easier to shift; sometimes it doesn't go into gear the way you'd want it to.

Best shape its ever been in...
By WASaproudowner

2004 Ford Mustang Coupe GT Deluxe 2dr Coupe (4.6L 8cyl 5M)

I HAD a 2004 GT until last week when my girlfriend totaled it. she was t- boned it went air-borne did 5 flips and landed upside down. that car saved her life however and even though its a total loss its the best shape i've ever seen it in

Favorite Features

Loved the way it sounded. it had a lot of power. was able to withstand 7 flips and save my girl's life

Suggested Improvements

not a thing

1st Mustang for the family
By Fenderboss

2004 Ford Mustang Coupe GT Premium 2dr Coupe (4.6L 8cyl 5M)

Moving to a Mustang has been an interesting experience. This is the first Mustang our family has owned and we find that there is a lot of coveting of the cars from everyone. I use it as a daily driver, and my commute is a joy covering 20 miles on some twisty country back roads. There is very little we don't enjoy about the car. That said, there are probably better interiors out there as well as fuel economy, but these shortcomings are more than compensated for when it comes to the overall experience of driving a proper American muscle car.

Favorite Features

Throaty V8, 5 speed, leather seats, visibility, and driving characteristics. There are very few things I enjoy more than rolling down the windows and opening up the throttle on a curvy back road. The exhaust note is fantastic and the response of the car is sublime.

Suggested Improvements

The interior could definitely use more attention in terms of build quality. I have yet to reach out to a Mustang owner who hasn't broken or had to replace at least once interior door handle due cheap plastic parts. A bit larger fuel tank would be nice to improve the overall range of the car.

My First Car
By Mustang04

2004 Ford Mustang Coupe 2dr Coupe (3.8L 6cyl 5M)

My parents bought this car for me for my first car. I am definitely a car person and was thrilled to get a Mustang. This car is so reliable. Every time I need to go somewhere I know that it will get me there safely. I also get excellent gas mileage. I usually get between 23 and 26 highway driving.If you take good care of your Mustang and treat it right you will not have any problems.

Favorite Features

I like the body style, the black interior,the Mustang sound (because its a manual), the view out of the mirrors and windows, and the sound system, and the removable large cup holder for large drinks.

Suggested Improvements

My only complaint would be not a lot of room in the backseat but what do you expect? It's a muscle car. Overall this is an excellent car and I would recommend it to anyone.

My Mustang gets 22.23 MPG over two years
By Shirley

2004 Ford Mustang Coupe 2dr Coupe (3.8L 6cyl 5M)

My Mustang gets 22.23 MPG over two years. This is a fact. I've kept careful and accurate records. Regular gas. I don't remember which coupe I have. It's the anniversary issue. Red. I love it.

Favorite Features

Good gas mileage. Beautiful red finish. Bucket seats are very comfortable.

love it
By MY FIRST CAR

2004 Ford Mustang Coupe 2dr Coupe (3.8L 6cyl 5M)

My parents got me this car for my first one, and let me say they shouldn't have it has way more horsepower then i need but i don't care i like it. It runs great is very smooth and sounds great. I love the white color it is just a great car. I want to keep it and give it to my son or daughter

Favorite Features

the radio is so loud and easy to reach when your driving. and well just about everything else.

Suggested Improvements

the back is the only problem. But my brother is the only one that ever sits back there

don't listen to any discuraging adults
By darren

2004 Ford Mustang Coupe 2dr Coupe (3.8L 6cyl 5M)

I am a 20 year old man. I bought a mustang last year just after my 19 birthday. I always wanted a mustang all my life.And when the day came that my parents let me make my own decisions i was the extremely happy. No matter what people say about mustangs and believe me i have heard them all The car is absolutely top notch. Insurance is not too bad and I the fuel economy is actually pretty good especially if you have a standard Use the same amount of gas as a v6 engine just as a hyundai tiburon V6 which i actually traded in for the stang. To sum it up: Car is great, fun to drive, good on gas, good car for a 18-25 year old due to insurance. Have fun you only get fora couple ofyears due to marige

Favorite Features

suprisingly decent on gas, no matter what websites or people say about it. just give the car a chance to proove itself. Remember if you dont harrass the car it will give you decent gas mileage

Suggested Improvements

stereo needs work but just go buy one from future shop or best buy they suited me really well with one not too expensive either

Best of the Best
By Jason

2004 Ford Mustang Coupe GT Premium 2dr Coupe (4.6L 8cyl 5M)

This is by far my favorite model of mustang. I've owned several years of the mustang almost every year from 84- 04 and this one takes the cake by far.

Favorite Features

Reliable strong manual transmission, hooks up fairly well, and with the addition of the .373 gears and a posi lock from ford this thing rips it up through out the range.

Suggested Improvements

use the mach 1 hood and scoop

I've Had a Better Mustang
By rainy

2004 Ford Mustang Coupe 2dr Coupe (3.8L 6cyl 5M)

I had a 1996 GT that could run circles around this one but some jerk totaled my parked car that only had 68k miles on it. So I bought the '04 V6. Wow, does it handle differently! The power is definitely less, and the GT cornered like it was on rails. The GT also had a rear stablizing bar and wider tires for much better traction in the rain and snow. The '04 gets excellent gas mileage (from Philadelphia to Connecticut on 3/4 a tank) and is very reliable (except the CD player).

Favorite Features

Awesome body and sonic blue color! Definite head turner. Reliability and extended warranty. The comfort level for me driving, it feels like the car just wraps around me. But next year I will be in a GT.

Suggested Improvements

Put the wider tires & stabilizer on all the Mustangs. And also the better sound systems.