Used 2004 Ford Mustang Premium Convertible Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Ford Mustang - Consumer Reviews

2004 Ford Mustang Convertible

View reviews for a specific Mustang model:

Super Pony Car !
By beate

2004 Ford Mustang Convertible Premium 2dr Convertible (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

This is my first Mustang, first convertible and first V6 ! I really wanted a convertible, and it really is great ! You actually feel good sitting in and driving the car, and it is spunky enough for a sports car. Really enjoyable, the interior is really pretty, all leather. My 8 year old girl iis overjoyed, and myself being 50 I really have a great time driving it, with or without the top down. Used to have a 5 liter Capri back in the 80s, and although that had a lot more power this newer Mustang is much more comfortable to drive. Gas mileage for this V6 is pretty good ! Beate, Frederick, MD

It's a Mustang
By Topless04

2004 Ford Mustang Convertible Premium 2dr Convertible (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

Rides like a buckboard, reasonable handling, mileage, and the Mach stereo is a beast! If you don't like a Mustang convertible, let's look at your choices. An older Cavalier, a Sebring or LeBaron that will likely have numerous issues, a costly BMW or a Porsche that is likely beyond costly for similar year and miles. It's the only choice out there under $12,000 with low miles.

Favorite Features

Top down, Mach stereo up.

Suggested Improvements

There are none. Ford did a pretty good job. Yes, the car has issues, but for the price it can't be beat. Door panels are below average. Just for looks back seat, it's a Mustang, not a Lincoln. Deeper rear end gears - like 3.55 would solve many issues, but this car isn't about speed, it's about fun!

The Ultimate Toy for those over 49
By Topless04Stang

2004 Ford Mustang Convertible Premium 2dr Convertible (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

My black Mustang rides like a buckboard, the leather seats are flat, the interior door panels and console are cheap. It's a Mustang for crying out loud. It's an icon, a legend. The Mach 6 CD am-fm stereo is simply amazing. Your choices for a convertible are rather limited. A Chysler Sebring, a Pontiac that they quit making, a BMW with a price tag over two times any similar Mustang. The Mustang is the only logical choice. Smooth and easy top operation. The trunk holds what it needs too. Golf clubs, baseball bags, tennis rackets, groceries, 2 medium suitcases. No its not big, its a sports car, not a luxo boat. The people that complain about this car are ill, please see a doctor.

Favorite Features

Top down, Mach stereo UP, cruising through town to run some errands or tooling down the interstate. 22 mpg around town so far, isn't bad to me.

Suggested Improvements

I can't think a thing. I think Ford did a wonderful job. We all make trade offs, set priorities. Overall they put their best foot forward for the price in 04. If you have kids, are too big, are worried about mpg or need a smoother ride, buy a car that fits your needs. Don't speak ill of a Mustang!

Oily Problem
By Bruce S

2004 Ford Mustang Convertible Premium 2dr Convertible (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

Frustrated owner of a new 2004 with only 1400 miles. The first 300 the car started leaking oil. They supposely fixed this; then went on a road trip around 350 miles oil leaked again. Found out that there are 181 cars out there that have this problem. Ford will not take back the car which I want them to do. Dealer is ok, but certain higher ups were rude to me...WATCH OUT....

Great Car
By James Kelly

2004 Ford Mustang Convertible Premium 2dr Convertible (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

This car is great ! It handles very good, passing gear is really great, sterio is fantastic, it is an eye catcher on the road, cruises without any effort, everything about this car is what I expected. Only thing I see wrong is that now that I have mine, is that I see a lot of others ones on the road now.

Favorite Features

Top down, Stereo, ease of handling, reliability of speed and passing.

Suggested Improvements

I havn't seen any other than to make it go faster.