Used 2004 Ford Mustang SVT Cobra Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Ford Mustang - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Mustang model:

An amazing SVT Team!
By rick

2004 Ford Mustang SVT Cobra 2dr Convertible (4.6L 8cyl S/C 6M)

I loved driving this car! I purchased new and just sold due to unemployment. I previously owned an 02 Lightning. I am sold on everything that the Coletti SVT group put their stamp on. This came to an end with the release of the 2005 GT. I find it sad that folks are still buying live axle mustangs/shelby's when they had the Independent Rear Suspension for the SVT Cobra's! This 2004 Cobra Convertible was the best most advanced and most powerful Mustang "Production" car to come out of Dearborn, which shut down after the 2004 model year. SVT was special! Now, it's a badge.

blinding acceleration! Power anytime, amyplace at your disposal! 4 wheel independent suspention made handling tight and easily controlled with power. Nothing better then that 400plus hp V8 under your right foot with that beautiful rumble of the exhaust.

Original concept was to treat SVT Customers well. That, ford just could never get. Ford was miserable to work with from service to sales to regional and corporate and my backyard. Bully's discribes them best. This after I paid cash for this new SVT Cobra. Loved the car, never support ford again.

Bring it On.
By The_Creeper

2004 Ford Mustang SVT Cobra 2dr Convertible (4.6L 8cyl S/C 6M)

To start with Cobra is not a Mustang. My neighbor's 2002 Corvette learned that lesson on the open highway. I wish I would have had this car in my early 20's and single..come to think of it, I probably don't. A thrill everytime you turn the key, add my roll bar and Saleen cover and this one turns every head I pass. Good ride considering the type of car, great and fun to drive, Too much low end torque...it just bounces when you get on it. Have had a minor problem with gas guage not moving much until a half a tank, then disappearing in 50 miles. Dollar for dollar, I do not think anything touches it.

The exhaust sound, 2nd gear, tight steering.

Interior very plain and too plastic. Automatic headlights would be preferred to pull out switch. I hate the trunk button in the glove box.

An ICON of FUN!
By RevMatt

2004 Ford Mustang SVT Cobra 2dr Convertible (4.6L 8cyl S/C 6M)

Now that I have owned my Ford Mustang Mystichrome SVT Cobra convertible for two full years, I would like to share my experience with the vehicle. This has been the most reliable and fun vehicle I have ever owned. This is my sixth vehicle purchased brand new and my eighteenth total. This is also my seventh convertible. Having written that, I would like to say that the 2004 has been my favorite. I have had ONE problem with it. A bad cigarette lighter socket! The Cobra invites you to mash the gas pedal and delivers awesome power, speed and torque. With its IRS, it also begs to be ridden hard around the twisting and curving roads along the Pacific Coast Highway. Drop the top and GOOOO!

Iconic Ford Mustang look and feel. Power to spare! The incredible Mystichrome paint, and the improved control thanks to the typically non-Mustang IRS. It has a very substantial "stock" sound system. Did I mention the horsepower? With a very few mods, it easily ascends beyond 500 rwhp!

Fit and finish! Placement and function of the stick for the manual tranny. It is too far forward and has too long of a throw. It could be of higher quality as well. (It likes to miss gears when pushed).

MystiChrome
By rex

2004 Ford Mustang SVT Cobra 2dr Convertible (4.6L 8cyl S/C 6M)

Love this car, great looks, performance, and ride. Mileage Ok if you can stay out of the blower. Never been back to thedealer.

Power and acceleration.

Fuel mileage.

Spring time fun
By 04SCRMNYLWVERT

2004 Ford Mustang SVT Cobra 2dr Convertible (4.6L 8cyl S/C 6M)

I love this car. I just got it about 2 weeks ago, found one still new on the dealer showroom floor. It's so fun to drive and gets pretty good gas mileage. I am told the gas mileage will get better once the car is broken in. It handles the corners nicely, and has a good feel to the acceleration. If you want that nice breeze you just drop the top and go. It's the best mustang I have driven so far.

Supercharged V-8. Underrated motor says 390hp/390tq but it's actually more like 421hp/420tq. Brakes. Suspension. Cobra Name. Hand Built Motor.

Interior space in the back seat.