Used 2004 Ford Mustang Mach 1 Premium Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Ford Mustang - Consumer Reviews

2004 Ford Mustang

View reviews for a specific Mustang model:

Most Helpful|
Really Neat Time Machine
By Lake Speed

2004 Ford Mustang Mach 1 2dr Coupe (4.6L 8cyl 5M)

This vehicle is a great value and takes me back to when I was a kid. I've always admired the Mach 1's from my youth and this one delivers on par with the original. Superior car on the road and always gets attention. My wife digs it too!

Favorite Features

Power, styling and stick shift.

Suggested Improvements

Could have used the 6-speed as 5th gear is a heck of an overdrive.

It's a keeper
By Paul K.

2004 Ford Mustang Mach 1 2dr Coupe (4.6L 8cyl 5M)

I was attracted to this car by it's sharp looks and great performance, and after four years, I still love it. It may not be the fastest car on the road, but it's the biggest bang for the buck, and will surely blow off most of the boy racers. The horsepower and torque figures are claimed to be 305 and 320 respectively, but the dyno has shown substantially higher numbers. This is my fourth Mustang, the last one being a 98 Cobra, very similar to this, but I like the Mach better. Gas mileage is really very good for a performance car at 23 - 28 mpg. If you can find a clean example at a decent price, go for it. I'll be keeping mine for a long while. It's sure to be a collector.

Favorite Features

I like the screaming yellow paint and how it is contrasted by the black accent stripes and parts. The shaker hood scope is way cool and so is the aluminum ball shifter knob. The instrument panel is great too. And of course, let's not forget the power and handling. It's all good.

Suggested Improvements

The front seat comfort could use a little improvement, don't know about the back seat, never been there. There aren't too many negative things to say about this baby. They got it pretty well right.

Ford does make quality vehicles
By emach1

2004 Ford Mustang Mach 1 2dr Coupe (4.6L 8cyl 5M)

Before getting the Mach1, I despised Fords and believed I would never buy one. The Mach1 was too good looking and fast to pass up. Its 40th anniversary emblems with its hood scoop and awesome rims turned heads. Its performance is great as well, but you pay for it in terms of gas mileage. Since owning the Mach1, I have not had anything go wrong. At worst, the interior dashboard and fixtures are cheap and quality but not something that cannot be replaced. Tires are costly but that is one of the costs anticipated when purchasing a high performance car. This is one vehicle

Favorite Features

Performance and styling. Mach1 sound system. Screaming Yellow paint.

Suggested Improvements

Better quality interior dashboard, sunroof or t-tops would be kool, a lower performance mode (turn off a couple cylinders on demand), continue production of Mach-1's.

Mach 1 is good
By george b.

2004 Ford Mustang Mach 1 2dr Coupe (4.6L 8cyl 5M)

I love this car. It has great performance and it rides well. I have had no problems with it so far. It is my first sports car.

Favorite Features

Its got retro styling with modern blended in. It is a limited edition 40th anniversary edition. It has got plenty of power and handles well.

Suggested Improvements

It could use a little more horse power via a super charger.

Still one happy customer @ 90000 miles.
By George

2004 Ford Mustang Mach 1 2dr Coupe (4.6L 8cyl 5M)

I'm 55, after lifting the hood, I went for my checkbook. I was looking for a V-8 Mustang but not this orange beast I bought. Looking out from behind the shaker hood in the drivers seat and "feeling" the freaky sound of the machine is the only way to go. The only car worth driving period. I went slow for 100 miles, next few hundred broke it in at many, many, redline shifts to get it used to me. It loves it, nothing has broken and I've got almost 100K on it now. Why stop driving it at 26mpg? Just put on some Blizzaks! Giddyup.

Favorite Features

Everything about this car is cool. Perfectly balanced power/weight with incredible stick-to-the road handling. Almost killed myself twice but the car took care of me and itself.

Suggested Improvements

They got this thing as good as it gets. Since it's an anniversary classic edition I plan to drive it forever. At a point in the future, it will be worth more than I paid for it but the fun of driving it has already given me my money's worth. If you own one, you know what I'm saying.