Used 2004 Ford Mustang SVT Cobra Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Ford Mustang - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Mustang model:

Nothing I'd rather drive
By Mike

2004 Ford Mustang SVT Cobra 2dr Coupe (4.6L 8cyl S/C 6M)

Ford got it right 7 years ago with the 03-04 Terminator Cobra. I've owned several pony cars before finally finding the right Cobra last year. All I can say is wow. Great looks, I love the heat extractors and the SVT wheels. Great sound, from the low growl of the exhaust to the turbine scream of the Eaton supercharger. Great drive, the car puts it's power down nicley, handles much better than a 3600 lb nose heavy car should. After a new supercharger pulley and an exhaust, these will truly terminate almost anything else on the road. I'm making 460hp to the wheels. 2010 Camaro? Ha!

Addictive supercharger, smooth shifting 6 speed transmission, sublime handling IRS.

Give SVT it's autonomy back! It used to be something truly special and different. Enthusiasts hand building cars for enthusiasts. Now, as the previous reviewer noted, it's just a marketing tool.

Muscle Car Returns
By Steve

2004 Ford Mustang SVT Cobra 2dr Coupe (4.6L 8cyl S/C 6M)

I grew up during the muscle car era when they ruled main streets all over America. With the mid- 70s oil crisis muscle cars slowly faded away. Finally, John Coletti, another baby boomer finally resurrected the power and feel of a muscle car. With a 2004 Mustang GT, I had to shift down to 3rd gear to get decent torque and yet feel more power in 6th gear on the highway for passing in the SVT Cobra, making highway driving a dream! The SN95 is the ultimate aerodynamic body style ever made for the Mustang and from the front, nothing beats the 03-04 SVT Cobra fascia. Compared to all other performance cars this is the ONLY one you could get new for under $40,000.

I love both the interior and exterior design above any other model of Mustang.

Too late for the factory, but nice to have on the stock vehicle would have been a short throw shifter, factory ported supercharger, stiffer IRS bushings, and more free flowing intake and exhaust.

Got to love the HP
By 2004sccobra

2004 Ford Mustang SVT Cobra 2dr Coupe (4.6L 8cyl S/C 6M)

I have enjoyed this vehicle. I usually drive it on nice days (trying to keep the miles low and in good shape) I have had a few problems with maintenace issues but other than that it has been a blast to drive. The Ford dealer where I take it has been very understanding. I blew up the tranny on the track and they still did the warranty work. Other than what they call "tip in clunk" I would not change a thing.

Mystic chome paint! All of the accents inside to match the paint. The HP! I have a KN intake, Diablo Predator programer, under drive pulley and tenioner pulley and it puts down 450HP and a 11.6 QM. All this HP for an extra $500.

With the IRS I found that you get a lot of clunking from it. Dealership says its normal and call it "tip in clunk" in my opinion another way to wait till it is out of warranty then charge you to fix the problem.

03 Cobra Coupe
By BRIAN

2004 Ford Mustang SVT Cobra 2dr Coupe (4.6L 8cyl S/C 6M)

It is very responsive, great drift car, loves 3.73 gear swap, just needs sticky tires. Torque is always available. Tight suspension doesn't lean on turns

Supercharger and suspension setup. Exterior very muscle looking

Transmission noise and better shifting quality on 6 speed

What do you expect
By Big Mike

2004 Ford Mustang SVT Cobra 2dr Coupe (4.6L 8cyl S/C 6M)

I picked this car up used for a little over $20k. I've put 14,000 miles on it and loved every minute of it. This car puts a smile on my face every time I sit behind the wheel. It gets horrible gas mileage and that's O.K. After all, it is a 400 hp sports car. The accomodations are a little tight for a big guy like myself (6'4" and 280 lbs.) but that's ok too. It's worth being able to drive a car in this price range that will kick anything in it's path that is standard factory issue. After all, isn't that why we drive these cars? This is definitely the best alternative for those of us who can't afford $30-$35k for a Corvette or M3. You really can't go wrong with this car!

Everything. Power to spare, handling, and that unmistakable supercharger whine!

Maybe a little more horsepower. You do get used to it after a while and it becomes no big deal!