Used 2003 Ford Mustang Base Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Ford Mustang - Consumer Reviews

2003 Ford Mustang

View reviews for a specific Mustang model:

Awesome first car
By Jara

2003 Ford Mustang 2dr Coupe (3.8L 6cyl 5M)

I received my Mustang for my first car and I have loved driving it for the past three years. It turns heads, provides the get up and go needed for passing on the interstate and has decent milage for a sports car (averages 20mpg in town and on the highway). I have never had even the slightest problem with the reliability of this vehicle. The only thing that concerns me is that it is totally a warm weather vehicle, in the midwest where we can get a few feet of snow at a time, the RWD and light overall weight of the car just is not safe enough even in town on snow-packed streets. Also, for long drives, even my young back begins to hurt. Even with these criticisms, I still love my Mustang.

Favorite Features

Unbeatable style

Suggested Improvements

Add comfort to front seats.

What I Was Hoping For
By Teh Gov

2003 Ford Mustang 2dr Coupe (3.8L 6cyl 5M)

I have wanted a Mustang since I was a kid and this car doesn't disappoint. Handles great, fun to drive, good speed. What's not to love?

Favorite Features

Great stereo, great look, fun to drive

Suggested Improvements

Seat belts are a little messed up. Gas mileage isn't great, but I didn't buy it for the mileage

Not made for comfort
By Robert Yamin

2003 Ford Mustang 2dr Coupe (3.8L 6cyl 5M)

Worst car I ever had. Bought car with 1200 miles, drove 1 year. Very uncomfortable and rough ride. Horrible gas mileage and poor pickup. Car is not made for a 5ft 11 inch 175 pound person. I had a 89 GT 5.0 so I thought I would like the newer model but should have kept the older one.

Favorite Features

It looked good.

Suggested Improvements

Better gas mileage, 12 MPG for a 3.8 is terrible. Make it a two seater and give the front passengers some room. Back seat only roomy enough for two 8 year olds anyway.

Pony Power
By Scott

2003 Ford Mustang 2dr Coupe (3.8L 6cyl 5M)

Bought it used in January and have driven it daily. Got it for a really low price. Gets okay gas mileage.

Favorite Features

Power, looks.

Suggested Improvements

Gas mileage.

My Little Pony
By Bigwig

2003 Ford Mustang 2dr Coupe (3.8L 6cyl 5M)

Bought this car Aug '02 before any pictures were available of the hood that was different from earlier models. Was pleasantly surprised with the 'newer' hood style (similar to 99 Cobra). Had a horrible howling noise from the rear end in less than 5000 miles which was replaced. I got the Dark Shadow Grey exterior which is the absolute prettiest color on a sunny day, and the absolute plainest color on a cloudy day. I put on a cat-back dual exhaust from Kenny Brown performance which adds a couple HP, deeper exhaust note and dresses up the rear with the nice polished SS tips. I also slapped on the Mach1 chin spoiler which gives it a nice front end appearance.

Favorite Features

Dark Shadow Grey Paint is a head turner on a sunny day. This is a great body style, even people with the 2005+ cars give compliments.

Suggested Improvements

Plastic door panels look cheap. V6 cars should have factory optional dual exhaust. Ponies should have duals.