2003 Ford Mustang Mach 1 Premuim Mach 1 Premuim Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Ford Mustang - Consumer Reviews

2003 Mustang Consumer Reviews

Mach 1 Premuim 4.6L V8 5-speed Manual - (51 reviews )

Sort Reviews by

Best bang....
By machlover

2003 Ford Mustang Mach 1 Premuim Mach 1 2dr Coupe (4.6L 8cyl 5M)

I have owned a 2001 V6, 2004 GT and the Mach and there is a world of difference between the v6 and GT but the Mach is in a class of its own when compared to the GT. This includes the extensive upgrades made to the GT compared to a stock Mach. Of the dozens of vehicles I have owned and driven the Mach is by far the best bang for the buck. I traded in the Gt for the Mach in 2007 and the Mach is paid off and worth more than I paid for it, needless to say this is a rarity in the automobile market but it seems the Mach is still a car that people appreciate. I have upgraded it with just the normal bolt on parts and it performs perfectly. This is the 1st vehicle I know I will keep indefinitely.

Favorite Features

The list of upgrades for the Mach is extensive to include upgraded suspension which gives the car a stiff, aggressive and lowered stance. The decals stand out on all of the colors except the DSG.The small windows between the b and c pillars have a forward slant, the front chin spoiler adds to the aggressive look and the black spoiler finishes the cosmetic look on the outside. The inside includes; adjustable head rests, silver trimming, metal pedals, Mach specific seat covers and bolstered front seats that are extremely comfortable. The magnum wheels and the functional shaker hood scoop give the car it's signature look. The engine has more than enough grunt to keep me happy.

Suggested Improvements

Love the car the way it is. One thing I would change, and have, is the radio/ 6 disc play that comes with the Mach. The Mach should have come with a much better head unit. The 5 speed should have been replaced with the 6 speed found in the cobra though the 5 speed does very well.

Red 2003 Mach 1 Great Value for your Money Still..
By 2004_mustang

2003 Ford Mustang Mach 1 Premuim Mach 1 2dr Coupe (4.6L 8cyl 5M)

I got this 2003 Red Mach 1 automatic in Oct 2005 with 13k miles on it and it now has 31k miles on it in Nov 2011. I have had zero problems with it. I have replaced the original tires and fuel filter as part of maintaince. It drives great especially on tight turns and it stops on a dime. The seating, wheels, black stripes, tachometer, shaker hood makes this car stand out well plus every Mach 1 is fully loaded so you dont have to worry about options. Overall this gives you 305hp and the car's value is about 14 grand give or take some which is the best bang for your buck if you want the power of a V8 without a big price tag. The only thing better than this in power is a 2011 GT

Favorite Features

Everything. I like the uniqueness of the Mach 1's, the colors alone are just neat to look at plus that shaker hoods makes the car stand out.

Suggested Improvements

The shaker hood rattles due to the rubber peices that hold it together but it is not that big of a deal. I wish they made this car with more options like controls on the steering wheels, chrome rims and or a supercharger. While it is loaded up I just think Ford could have put more options on it. I plan on keeping this car till the 2011 5.0 GT is in the lower 20 grand mark and then I will trade it off. I just wish the specialty cars kept there value more. Hard to believe that back in 2005 this was a 23 grand car and now even at low miles it is a 14 grand car but that is the car business today. I hope Ford remakes this car again just like they did in the 03-04 years.

Mach 1 of a kind
By michaelj723

2003 Ford Mustang Mach 1 Premuim Mach 1 2dr Coupe (4.6L 8cyl 5M)

I'm the second owner of my Mach 1, and I've had it for nearly 6 years with very little trouble. The only thing I had to do to the engine, was changing out the thermostat housing after it sat in the garage all winter. Brakes are very expensive, due to its exclusive brake/suspension package, and they were tough for me to change, probably easy for somebody who does brakes a lot. The only big problem I had with her, was my transmission's overdrive going out twice. This was due to the 4:10 rear end that the previous owner had in it....luckily it was a warranty repair and only $100 out of my pocket. Other than that, it's the best handling stang ever made, and blows the doors off z28 and t/a's

Favorite Features

Handling, and raw power...super impressive powerband that I've never felt in any other sports/muscle car. Beautiful stock exhaust sound. Extremely reliable. Still get compliments on it almost daily.

Suggested Improvements

Only thing I wish it had, was automatic up/down windows lol

Mach out rock out
By 03sfmach

2003 Ford Mustang Mach 1 Premuim Mach 1 2dr Coupe (4.6L 8cyl 5M)

I needed a rear drive, v8, stick shift car to drive everyday that I could stomp on allday everyday and still depend on it running all the time. This car has been awesome. Thought about a 2001-2004 vette (way too cheesy), early 2000 SS or z28 camaro (crappy tranny, rear-end, interior quality, overall looks) or a 2003-2004 cobra (bad-a$$ car but pricy) but the MACH seemed like the best value . ($14700, 22000 miles, lowered, tri-ax shifter, magnaflow exhaust) I have not been disappointed at all. The car really sings after 3500 rpm's, tranny has a steep 1st gear and a low low overdriven 5th (about 1900rpms at 75mph). Pick one up if you can

Favorite Features

6800 redline, motor really pulls after 3500, tranny geared up well, shaker hood, factory brembo brakes

Suggested Improvements

rattles and squeaks, interior and exterior quality

Torch Red Mach 1
By tm420

2003 Ford Mustang Mach 1 Premuim Mach 1 2dr Coupe (4.6L 8cyl 5M)

Purchased the car over a year ago and I love every minute that I get to drive it. The car has 38000 miles, but I have only put on about 2000 since I bought it. I love the shaker hood scoop, and it still turns a lot of heads for a mustang. Don't really see too many of these where I live. Performance is outstanding (Low 5 sec. to 60 mph). Bought the car with a few modifications and it just flies. Heard these engines were very reliable, and haven't had any problems yet. Engines were rated at 305 hp, but I think it's more like 320. Looking forward to keeping this one for a long time.

Favorite Features

The shaker hood, 32 valve V8 exhaust note, the graphics package really looks nice, and helps it stand out from other mustangs. The seats are surprisingly comfortable.

Suggested Improvements

Interior could be better. The automatic transmission is kind of clunky,and sometimes hesitates to shift, but it is pretty good overall.

the mach
By komach

2003 Ford Mustang Mach 1 Premuim Mach 1 2dr Coupe (4.6L 8cyl 5M)

Simply an awesome automobile. This is the 6th mustang ive owned (still have an 87 gt conv). I drive this car daily and have put 90k on it in 3 years. The ONLY thing thats ever been replaced is one set of tires!! The car is occasionally raced @ the dragstrip and drives 60 miles a day on the interstate. It is as still tight as the day i bought it, no squeaks, rattles, or anything, and on top of that, its lowered. The car is a silent predator. In stock trim (mine has been tuned and a few goodies here and there) a stock C6 vette cant stand it in an 8th mile race. You have to do a little tweaking and good driving to handle him in the quarter. Whoever did their homework @ Ford on this got a raise!

Favorite Features

shaker hood, old style guages, stance..

Suggested Improvements

6 speed..

Fun Machs
By d3vild0g

2003 Ford Mustang Mach 1 Premuim Mach 1 2dr Coupe (4.6L 8cyl 5M)

All in all a fun car. Had lots of fun adding bolt ons to make this baby fly. Got to love the dohc motors. Interior Seats a little tight for larger people. ( I'm 6'1" 220lbs). Other than that, its a beaut!

Favorite Features

Black is best. Shaker Hood (RAM air) over-all styling

Suggested Improvements

Sell with some of the improved suspension, (increases gas mileage), and other bolt-ons coming stock

Mach won
By Shaun Fisher

2003 Ford Mustang Mach 1 Premuim Mach 1 2dr Coupe (4.6L 8cyl 5M)

Great vehicle since purchase, enjoyable drive from dealership to home (700mi.). Truly the best all around vehicle. Use it for drag racing, daily driving, crusin', sunday drive & etc.

Favorite Features

Everything

Suggested Improvements

A twist your arm suggestion, would be extra cubic inches. Personally I'm a 351 person.

Good but could be better
By Josh

2003 Ford Mustang Mach 1 Premuim Mach 1 2dr Coupe (4.6L 8cyl 5M)

I have been driving this car since I entered college 3 years ago. Since then I have had to replace a seal on the transmission that left me stranded away from home with my car checked in at the dealership for 2 days and it has developed all kinds of rattles and sqweeks. For some reason Ford made the seats with so much side bolstering that the passenger seat is constantly rubbing against the door, which can become quite annoying on a 300 mile drive half way across Texas. While driving long distances the road noise can be quite tiresome, but around town this usually isn't a problem. Other than that I have no complaints the car runs well, is relatively quick and turns heads.

Favorite Features

Throaty V8 exhaust, 5-speed manual transmission, seats really hug you in the corners, real shaker hood, retro style

Suggested Improvements

Passenger side seat as mentioned above. Also forgot that the transmission is a little reluctant to shift into second and reverse when it is cold

Hums like a butterfly, 'stangs like a bee
By Debbie

2003 Ford Mustang Mach 1 Premuim Mach 1 2dr Coupe (4.6L 8cyl 5M)

I love the ford Mustangs. I have had three different ones ranging from the 5.0 to the 2003. I can't keep from just looking at it and wanting to drive. I love the torque and the smoothness in the way it handles. I have had so may other sports cars want to race and my 'stang has never let me down. If you're looking for a car to look sweet in this is the one to have. I would recommend if you haven't driven a standard you need to learn. They have so much more power and the rumble it makes is too sweet.

Favorite Features

The favorite thing about the car is the whole thing, not one thing do I not like about it, from the black leather interor and the rubber on the tires. It's all sweet.

Suggested Improvements

None that i know of.