Used 2003 Ford Mustang SVT Cobra Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Ford Mustang - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Mustang model:

2003 Cobra convertible
By Rick D.

2003 Ford Mustang SVT Cobra 2dr Convertible (4.6L 8cyl S/C 6M)

I've owned this black 2003 Cobra convertible for about 8 months. I haven't had any problems. Since moving to Florida, I was looking for a convertible. The car shakes a little (probably because it's a convertible). It has plenty of power, but feels HEAVY. The stock exhaust is too quiet.

Convertible, horsepower, torque, sound system.

Less shake better plastics and fit in the interior, sticky tires with a longer tread life, darn wheelhop.

Dreams do come true
By Rick

2003 Ford Mustang SVT Cobra 2dr Convertible (4.6L 8cyl S/C 6M)

I found my Cobra in June, 2004 after she was a showroom princess for over a year. Not only is the 2003 supercharged Cobra all the reviews say they are, they're off the scale in fun to drive. I've added a Bassani exhaust system (headers/H-pipe w/catback, 4" tips), K&N air filter, 2.8" supercharger pulley and Xcalibrator chip and now pull a true 428 rwhp. It's hard to get this in any other vehicle comparitably priced, and yes, my friends, it is a Ford. This car garners as much attention as my Harley does, and it's show quality. Nice job, Blue Oval.

Instant throttle response. Deep exhaust tones. Quick convertible ops. Awesome high speed handling. Super sporty styling for a 10 year old platform. Classic American bloodlines. Top notch factory and owners association.

It's a little late for this model. I'll check out the 2007 1/2'ish new model Cobra convertibles and let you know.

Bitten by the Snake
By tallicadrone

2003 Ford Mustang SVT Cobra 2dr Convertible (4.6L 8cyl S/C 6M)

My '03 convertible has justified the term Fix Or Repair Daily. Without warning, the car will turn-off as I am driving. Mind you, it's in gear at the time. Of course, the steering wheel locks and I loose power-assist braking. Let's just say "VERY SCARY". It's already had the alternator replaced at my local dealership and continues to do the same. They obviously don't know how to fix it, but it's going back in tomorrow for the 3rd time. Linear acceleration is great, but don't even get me started on the tranny/clutch. My service advisors say that they are aware of the "chatter" that emanates from the tranny/clutch, but can only say it's "supposed to do

Linear acceleration.....Overall exterior design

Tear it down and rebuild.......oops, you already did that....let's keep our fingers crossed, not that I'll buy another FORD again. I'm 0 for 2 with them, and won't be bitten a 3rd time.

SVT Lemon
By Trae

2003 Ford Mustang SVT Cobra 2dr Convertible (4.6L 8cyl S/C 6M)

Unfortunately, I would recommend against purchasing this car. The transmission has been serviced 6 times since purchase and the convertible top, twice. The car left me on the road the second day I had it. To make matters worse, Don Bohn Ford refused to repair the car. Currently, the car is pending replacement from the Ford Arbitration board and I may have to seek an attorney to replace it.

Transmission should be compatible with the size of the engine. What good is 390HP if the bearing, flywheel and clutch cannot handle it?

Jekyll and Hyde
By Sonic Blue

2003 Ford Mustang SVT Cobra 2dr Convertible (4.6L 8cyl S/C 6M)

The Cobra can be just another car or step on the hammer and take off like a rocket. It even sounds like one (Supercharger).Don't waste time comparing it to another car. The '03 Cobra's top speed is governed at 155mph (170+ w/out it). Compare it to a Cessna: seats 4 & it does 160mph...on land. Cobra's traction control switch is fun.Keep it on and it behaves somewhat civilized. Turn it off and wheels spin, smoke comes out of the tires. Also a locking differential (if wheel spins torque is sent to the wheel w traction). The snake unlike a roadster lets you take the kids/dog along for a ride. And taking rides you will:To go get bread or milk (next town over)

If you are looking for the "european sedan or European sports car feel" go somewhere else. Even with Traction Control on you just never run out of passing oomph at any speed (all six of them). Again, this is about power. And about fun. You can drive it mild or wild.

Ford/SVT should offer 50% discount to current owners. This way we can buy another one for our significant others so they leave ours alone. Or just so that we can have a coupe AND a convertible. The 03 Cobra at 390 horsepower just doesn’t get any better for the price

• SUV