Used 2002 Ford Mustang Base Coupe Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Ford Mustang - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Mustang model:

My Stang
By Arlana Pinson

2002 Ford Mustang Coupe 2dr Coupe (3.8L 6cyl 5M)

Many say that the Ford Mustang is not safe to drive in the rain or in the snow. I have driven it in both weather types. I believe that it does just fine. The thing to worry about is the driver. You know you're driving a sports car, therefore, be careful and everything else is fine.

Suggested Improvements

CD player, traction control, leather seats, etc.

Long Time Runnin'
By BBQDad

2002 Ford Mustang Coupe 2dr Coupe (3.8L 6cyl 5M)

Bought my 2002 Ford Mustang Coupe (232 Cu. In. V6, Auto/OD, Premium Edition) in August 2002. Vehicle has performed very well driving back and forth from Pittsburgh, PA, to Secaucus, NJ every other weekend, about 400 miles one way. The Mustang cruises effortlessly at highway speeds. Tranny is properly geared for city commutes, allowing the engine's torque peak to be used readily (torque peaks at just 2,750 RPM). Gas mileage ranges from 22 MPG in stop-and-go driving to 31 MPG on long, flat highway drives at 65 MPH. Sound system is good; AC handles summer heat. Still uses NO oil between changes! Goes WELL in snow, including recent trip through WV mountains during snowstorm! Still original battery.

Favorite Features

Engine is a good balance of power and economy, auto tranny lets you navigate city rush-hour traffic in a sprightly manner without burning up a clutch, runs very well on the highway. Easy to get at the oil filter. Handles well, solid, predictable in curves, quick but not squirrelly. Good brakes.

Suggested Improvements

Wish it had larger outside mirrors. Console wastes a lot of space, needs better design. Auto tranny already has an "Overdrive ON/OFF" switch, and is just a switch or two away from being a manu-matic; why didn't Ford do it? It is a great tranny burdened with a mediocre shifter.

nice ride
By black

2002 Ford Mustang Coupe 2dr Coupe (3.8L 6cyl 5M)

Not only looks great but a fun ride. Could use more power in the v-6 but still a nice bit of get up and go.

Suggested Improvements

Like to see it look more like the 64 1/2 model.

Wow
By J

2002 Ford Mustang Coupe 2dr Coupe (3.8L 6cyl 5M)

Perfect blend of quality and value. The interior is far more roomy than my old '97, though the back is still very small. Seems to handle flawlessly, with the exception of hitting a bump or a groove on a bridge while turning. Traction control is amazing, got me out of my parking lot uphill on glare ice where my old car would be running in place. Stops on a dime and you just get the feeling that it is an extremely safe car once you start driving it. Might not be the most gas-efficient but you will not find another car with this kind of performance that will get you 20/28 mpg.

Favorite Features

Traction control, engine performance and efficiency, handling, overdrive on/off button comes in handy with the automatic when you want to pass someone.

Suggested Improvements

My theft light flashes continuously, I don't see the point of this feature anyway even if I had an anti-theft system. A noisier ride than I expected. Maybe a few more hp.

Good Bang for your buck
By Ken R

2002 Ford Mustang Coupe 2dr Coupe (3.8L 6cyl 5M)

Since I have always owned V8 powered cars, including Mustangs, I was a little skeptical that this car with a V6 would have any guts or fun to drive factor. Well, I was wrong. It has good power and decent handling. The interior needs improvement as well as the seats; no thigh or lateral support.

Favorite Features

The engine. It may not have the top end grunt of the V8 but it holds its own very well.

Suggested Improvements

Again, the interior with attention to the seats. The seats in my Ford Focus are more supportive and are more comfortable.