Used 2002 Ford Mustang Base Coupe Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Ford Mustang - Consumer Reviews

2002 Ford Mustang Coupe

View reviews for a specific Mustang model:

I Enjoyed It
By formermustangowner

2002 Ford Mustang Coupe 2dr Coupe (3.8L 6cyl 5M)

I purchased the 6cyl Mustang in 06 at 73,000mi as my first car and drove it about 13,000mi. It broke down twice, both times due to the alternator. The second breakdown was because an old alternator had been used to replace the first one and based on what I've read reliability doesn't seem to be a common problem with this car. Other than that I really enjoyed the car; the V6 had adequate power, although I would recommend the V8. I found that careful driving could get about 20mpg out of the automatic V6; I'm sure a manual could be fairly economical. The car was fun to drive on short trips, and I never noticed any issues with comfort on longer drives. I would recommend this car to anyone.

Favorite Features

Everybody always liked this car. It had a classic name that everyone was able to relate to and I liked the looks. It was great value for the money and didn't kill me on gas. When it did break down it didn't cost a fortune to fix and even the 6 cylinder was surprisingly fun to drive.

Suggested Improvements

Plastic parts were my biggest problem. The exterior plastic was discolored and faded when I purchased the car, and interior plastic parts were falling apart when I sold it; not surprising for the age of the car though. Doors and interior parts also squeaked and rattled throughout the time I owned it.

2002 Mustang 3.8 M5
By Paul

2002 Ford Mustang Coupe 2dr Coupe (3.8L 6cyl 5M)

Love this car. Bought it for my daughter but she can't get the 5 speed down so she doesn't like to drive it in town. So I drive it to work since it's good on gas. About 30 miles on the hwy each day. Gets really light in the back end at over 100. I see why the GT's have the spoiler.

Favorite Features

Overall looks.

Suggested Improvements

Better seats

Great car, so fun to drive!
By Natalie

2002 Ford Mustang Coupe 2dr Coupe (3.8L 6cyl 5M)

I love this car, it's so fun to drive! Gas mileage could be better but that's a sacrifice you make when you drive a sports car. Drives great, comfy seats, beautiful exterior.. definitely brings out the inner racecar driver in you!

Favorite Features

Looks, fun to drive

Suggested Improvements

Gas mileage

I love my Stang!
By Gitano

2002 Ford Mustang Coupe 2dr Coupe (3.8L 6cyl 5M)

I purchased this car with 1,500 miles on it back in late '02. I saw it on the lot, and I wanted it right away. I did want a V8 instead of a V6 for the power and bragging rights of having a V8, but it was $8,000 more for it. I still love this car though. It's now 07 and I have 54k miles on it. I have had no problems yet. I am happy with the way it handles, and of course I love the look. Drivers side door when I open it squeaks now, but wd-40 takes care of it. No biggie. I definitely would get another one again, but that won't happen since I don't like the '05+ look.

Favorite Features

The look, the color, handling,the interior.

Suggested Improvements

Would like the V6 to have at least 200+hp. C'mon its a Mustang. A little louder exhaust.

I loved my STANG!
By Seeson99

2002 Ford Mustang Coupe 2dr Coupe (3.8L 6cyl 5M)

I bought my Mustang as my first large purchase and a good one at that. I also bought the extended warranty (which I recommend for any car). I changed the oil every 3,000 miles and had all the recommended work done. I had a couple of leaks here and there, but nothing that wasn't covered under the warranty. I bought it at 20,000 miles and drove it until someone hit and totaled it at 70,500 miles. I was 'T'ed on a city street very hard and the Mustang held up like one of those ancient tank cars. I'm very sad now, but I will always love my Mustang!

Favorite Features

The whole car, the 6-disc in dash, over drive, Mach sound system, two-tone leather seats, and my wonderful must have...sun roof.

Suggested Improvements

I would like to see a little more pick up when I touch the gas. But I hear the new ones have no issues with that.