Used 2002 Ford Mustang Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Ford Mustang - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Mustang model:

nice ride
By black

2002 Ford Mustang 2dr Coupe (3.8L 6cyl 5M)

Not only looks great but a fun ride. Could use more power in the v-6 but still a nice bit of get up and go.

Suggested Improvements

Like to see it look more like the 64 1/2 model.

Wow
By J

2002 Ford Mustang 2dr Coupe (3.8L 6cyl 5M)

Perfect blend of quality and value. The interior is far more roomy than my old '97, though the back is still very small. Seems to handle flawlessly, with the exception of hitting a bump or a groove on a bridge while turning. Traction control is amazing, got me out of my parking lot uphill on glare ice where my old car would be running in place. Stops on a dime and you just get the feeling that it is an extremely safe car once you start driving it. Might not be the most gas-efficient but you will not find another car with this kind of performance that will get you 20/28 mpg.

Favorite Features

Traction control, engine performance and efficiency, handling, overdrive on/off button comes in handy with the automatic when you want to pass someone.

Suggested Improvements

My theft light flashes continuously, I don't see the point of this feature anyway even if I had an anti-theft system. A noisier ride than I expected. Maybe a few more hp.

2002 Mustang GT Convertible
By Mary

2002 Ford Mustang GT Deluxe 2dr Convertible (4.6L 8cyl 5M)

I love this car! It's fast, sporty, comfortable and a real head turner. Outstanding handling and pick up.

Favorite Features

Absolutely love the speed and handling of this car. The stereo with 6 CD changer is awesome. Clean classic Mustang lines and the V8 is superb.

Suggested Improvements

With the top up, there is slight difficulty in seeing (blind spot) when backing out of parking areas. More comfortable back seats and leg room would be an advantage as well.

Good Value
By SevenBizzos

2002 Ford Mustang GT Deluxe 2dr Coupe (4.6L 8cyl 5M)

I bought the GT as a "second" car for fun and to be an owner of the most popular performance car ever. It's a good car - no big complaints. Acceleration is adequate given the factory gear ratio. Cornering and handling are merely average considering the weight of the vehicle. I got the Mach 1000 option and am only marginally satisfied with its performance considering the price ($1200). Build your own stereo system, swap the axle gears to a 3.73 or 4.10, add a Predator tuner, and buy a lowering/performance suspension system and you'll have a great car.

Favorite Features

Leather/power seating is nice. Mach 1000 is nice but could "do-it-yourself" better. Performance and aesthetic parts are readily available.

Suggested Improvements

The stock 3.27 gear ratio is brutal. The stock suspension performance is lacking and is way too high. Stock Gatorback tires are poor. Upgrades are necessary to make a great car.

Ford Mustang -- fun to drive
By Nancy

2002 Ford Mustang GT Deluxe 2dr Convertible (4.6L 8cyl 5M)

This car has definitely been fun to drive; it handles great and has a lot of power. However, I just spent two weeks in a rental because of rust on the panel above my windshield. The seal was faulty and 3 months out of warranty. I don't suggest an aftermarket car starter. My car has issues with starting due to it. Other than that, I love it!

Favorite Features

It's a convertible, what more do you need?

Suggested Improvements

Extended warranty on rust and paint.