Used 2002 Ford Mustang Convertible Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Ford Mustang - Consumer Reviews

2002 Ford Mustang Convertible

View reviews for a specific Mustang model:

I trust over any new car.
By mommame

2002 Ford Mustang Convertible Premium 2dr Convertible (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

I had a new car and had so many problems. Hard to work and picture it being a throw away car like some. I decided to go backwards to a 2002 V6 that reminds me more of the days a person could work on a car..HAHAHA There are some people who have these cars and they are over 200,000 miles. When you buy something at this age remember it may need a couple things. Don't gripe about it. Do your homework. Some people beat the Hell out of them. I happen to get mine from an older man in his 60's who took care of it.

Favorite Features

Mine is black with Bullit wheels. I have a flowmaster 44. Slightly blacked out taillights. It's fun to drive. Very easy going uphill.

Suggested Improvements

I have to say nothing. The rear seats area was going to be very small anyway.

Beastly, Rock Solid, and Efficient
By blackmetalwolf

2002 Ford Mustang Convertible GT Premium 2dr Convertible (4.6L 8cyl 5M)

I've had experience driving all sorts of vehicles, and I can say without a doubt that my 2002 Ford Mustang GT is among the best of the best in almost all categories. For starters, it's a Mustang, an American icon. Now take that image, add 260 stock horsepower and you've got a beast of a car. Not only is it powerful, it gets surprisingly great mileage; mine is getting roughly 26 mpg highway. The thing is also built like a tank; I haven't had any mechanical issues other than routine maintenance. The only issues are low seating capacity and cargo room, but hey, you don't get a Mustang in place of an SUV, do you?

02 GT convertible Good & Bad.... For 2012
By flashycarluv

2002 Ford Mustang Convertible GT Premium 2dr Convertible (4.6L 8cyl 5M)

ive had the car for almost 2 years and have had 3 engines in it., Driver window fail, fuel pump failed, CD player failed and the transmission has small leak. i love the car& dont really plan on ever selling. but its not recommended for a daily driver, its not very reliable but its 10+ years old. But for a fun top down weekend warrior its great. and its idea for customization. I know more than 10 people with the same style mustang GT, and they have problems too, but still love them. if you buy one I recommend having $2-3k set aside for future repairs. MPG isnt great either I average 15MPG combined... But it works for me because I only drive the car maybe once a month.

Favorite Features

Sound of the V8, Convertible Top, Turning off the traction control and having some fun...

Suggested Improvements

The car is 10years old so most of the issues have been addressed in newer models.... Which the front seats dont go back and recline far enough, more power, better MPGs...the very uncomfortable seats, and cheap materials... and only time will tell if they remain reliable as they get older.

Fun, Fun, Fun
By Cindy

2002 Ford Mustang Convertible Deluxe 2dr Convertible (3.8L 6cyl 5M)

Love my convertible. Fun to drive and enjoy the power. If you have more than one child, makes for a challenge if they want to take friends somewhere. Not much trunk space. Looks good and sounds even better. Didn't buy the car for fuel efficiency, so gas mileage is not an issue for me. Multiple CD changer and sound system add to it's appeal. Convertible top easy to operate.

Favorite Features

Stereo, convertible top, horse power

Suggested Improvements

More trunk space, more leg room in backseat, more efficient way for passengers to get in and out of backseat without having to duck under seatbelt.

Old guy with used Mustang
By miamimykle

2002 Ford Mustang Convertible GT Premium 2dr Convertible (4.6L 8cyl 5M)

I just bought my self a midlife crisis treat, a 2002 Mustang GT convertible with a five speed manual tranny and all the bells and whistles available in 2002. I was sitting in the Corvette I was going to buy when it caught my eye. There isn't a mark on it inside or out and is, if I may use the term a freakin' rocket. The sound system is incredible! Yes, old guys still rock.....best thing I ever did for myself...if you don't have one, get one!