Used 2002 Ford Mustang Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Ford Mustang - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Mustang model:

I trust over any new car.
By mommame

2002 Ford Mustang Premium 2dr Convertible (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

I had a new car and had so many problems. Hard to work and picture it being a throw away car like some. I decided to go backwards to a 2002 V6 that reminds me more of the days a person could work on a car..HAHAHA There are some people who have these cars and they are over 200,000 miles. When you buy something at this age remember it may need a couple things. Don't gripe about it. Do your homework. Some people beat the Hell out of them. I happen to get mine from an older man in his 60's who took care of it.

Mine is black with Bullit wheels. I have a flowmaster 44. Slightly blacked out taillights. It's fun to drive. Very easy going uphill.

I have to say nothing. The rear seats area was going to be very small anyway.

Great Daily Drive
By scott221

2002 Ford Mustang GT Premium 2dr Coupe (4.6L 8cyl 5M)

I finally don't need a family car and bought an 02 GT with 100K miles at age 50. It needed a little TLC. I added a radio, new COP's, a gear shift knob, + more. I love this car. I get better than 27mpg on the highway and 23-24 combined. The engine is smooth and has a higher power-to-weight ratio than any car or truck I have had. It took me a couple of months to tame this Pony. I changed the real seals, bearings, left axle, and c-clips. One c-clip broke and ground up inside the left axle causing that bearing to fail. The car is definitely a sports car. I have a Flowmaster catback and Nexen 3000 tires with Bullet rims. Other drivers taunt me on the road. I just smile and enjoy.

Great looks, great stereo, great sound, nice looking interior, dependable engine, easy to modify.

Add space between the stereo volume knob and the bezel.

Beastly, Rock Solid, and Efficient
By blackmetalwolf

2002 Ford Mustang GT Premium 2dr Convertible (4.6L 8cyl 5M)

I've had experience driving all sorts of vehicles, and I can say without a doubt that my 2002 Ford Mustang GT is among the best of the best in almost all categories. For starters, it's a Mustang, an American icon. Now take that image, add 260 stock horsepower and you've got a beast of a car. Not only is it powerful, it gets surprisingly great mileage; mine is getting roughly 26 mpg highway. The thing is also built like a tank; I haven't had any mechanical issues other than routine maintenance. The only issues are low seating capacity and cargo room, but hey, you don't get a Mustang in place of an SUV, do you?

Great First Car
By stanggt915

2002 Ford Mustang GT Premium 2dr Coupe (4.6L 8cyl 5M)

This is such a cool car! A perfect blend of everything. Great styling, very reliable, comfy, big sound system, cool wheels, high modding potential, and it is quite quick. With the new Borla exhaust I added it now has incredible muscle car sound! For my first car I would have it no other way.

Sound system, cool wheels, cool looking hood scoop.

No improvements it is awesome.

02 GT convertible Good & Bad.... For 2012
By flashycarluv

2002 Ford Mustang GT Premium 2dr Convertible (4.6L 8cyl 5M)

ive had the car for almost 2 years and have had 3 engines in it., Driver window fail, fuel pump failed, CD player failed and the transmission has small leak. i love the car& dont really plan on ever selling. but its not recommended for a daily driver, its not very reliable but its 10+ years old. But for a fun top down weekend warrior its great. and its idea for customization. I know more than 10 people with the same style mustang GT, and they have problems too, but still love them. if you buy one I recommend having $2-3k set aside for future repairs. MPG isnt great either I average 15MPG combined... But it works for me because I only drive the car maybe once a month.

Sound of the V8, Convertible Top, Turning off the traction control and having some fun...

The car is 10years old so most of the issues have been addressed in newer models.... Which the front seats dont go back and recline far enough, more power, better MPGs...the very uncomfortable seats, and cheap materials... and only time will tell if they remain reliable as they get older.