Used 2001 Ford Mustang Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Ford Mustang - Consumer Reviews

2001 Ford Mustang

View reviews for a specific Mustang model:

100,000 MILES AND THEN...PROBLEMS
By Charlie Hummell

2001 Ford Mustang 2dr Coupe (3.8L 6cyl 5M)

I loved this vehicle until it hit the magic mileage number...100,000 miles. Note also that I do an excellent job maintaining my vehicles. At 100,000 miles, though, my Mustang first had a cracked exhaust manifold ($450.00). A few months later it sprung two oil leaks in the transmission and wouldn't hold any oil ($350.00). About two weeks later it wouldn't start one day (transmission shift cable - $215.00). As I've read in other reviews, I have also experienced the engine vibration as I come to a stop at an intersection. It's now got about 109,000 miles, so I can't really complain, (and I still like the car), but I'm wondering how much life it has until something major goes wrong.

Favorite Features

When it's washed and detailed, it's still a great looking vehicle. It's fun to drive...my wife and I take it on road trips up and down the coast as our "fun car."

Suggested Improvements

It's got some blind spots depending on the angle of the intersection / traffic. Do something about the oil leaks! My last car, a Ford Probe, also had problems with oil leaks.

Love the look, Unimpressed by the power
By Pete

2001 Ford Mustang SVT Cobra 2dr Convertible (4.6L 8cyl 5M)

Have had the car for 1 year and have put 5,000 miles on it. My experience so far has been overall positive. No problems mechanically at all. I like the look of the car and love the thrill of driving with the top down. As far as power I am somewhat disappointed. Factory says 320 HP, but only about 245 of that makes it to the rear wheels. Quick starts, but it is very slow to respond when you stomp the gas while driving. The suspension is pretty good. It handles well when cornering at speed, but I hear pops and clunks in it when I make turns or hit small bumps. I like the car but I wish I had bought a 2003 or 2004 "Supercharged" Cobra. Now those are awesome cars!

Favorite Features

You buy a sporty car for two reasons, looks and speed. The 2001 Mustang Cobra has ONE of those two features. My favorite features are: it's a HOT looking car and it has a convertible top!

Suggested Improvements

More power! Which can be found in the 03' 04' Cobra. The 2001 Cobra drivetrain should should be more responsive than it is though. Need to improve the suspension too. Interior is just ok.

Great value
By nvbanker

2001 Ford Mustang Deluxe 2dr Convertible (3.8L 6cyl 5M)

This car has given me no trouble whatever. It has taken a lot of abuse from my son, and has kept on ticking. I'm very impressed with its performance, and toughness. For the money, it's the finest car I've seen.

Favorite Features

Convertible top works great with no maintenance. Handling is good.

Suggested Improvements

I think they have made them in '05. Except that I like the interior design of mine better than the '05.

American Icon Mustang GT Convertible
By Ben Leone

2001 Ford Mustang GT Deluxe 2dr Convertible (4.6L 8cyl 5M)

This car is a real looker, you would swear it had eyes. Mine has the roll bar; it is killer to look at. Then the light turns green, pure exhilaration, you have to behave because 0-60 in 5.7 seconds can get you in deep quick. I have ridden in more comfortable cars but admit that if I want comfort I will take my Mark VI. This Ford product is tops to drive and own.

Favorite Features

The roll bar of course and the GT option. Along with the great styling of this year.

Suggested Improvements

Perhaps a better looking dash and more comfortable seats.

'01 Mustang Cobra Convertible
By Nowell

2001 Ford Mustang SVT Cobra 2dr Convertible (4.6L 8cyl 5M)

This car replaced my '01 Trans Am WS6. Cobra's interior quality is a little better but fells cramp. What I like the most in this car is that it's a convertible! The T/A is very stable at speed, but for side street performance I'd go with the Cobra. My conclusion is Cobra is fun to drive in the street and the convertible makes it looks better.

Favorite Features

My only favorite feature in the Cobra is the convertible and IRS. Fit and finish is just ok. Certainly nothing to brag about.

Suggested Improvements

The Mustang Cobra convertible looks great with the top down.