Used 2001 Ford Mustang Consumer Reviews - 163 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Ford Mustang - Consumer Reviews

2001 Ford Mustang

View reviews for a specific Mustang model:

Ford Loses A LOYAL one
By Marc

2001 Ford Mustang GT Deluxe 2dr Convertible (4.6L 8cyl 5M)

After leasing Ford Mustangs for 12 years that covered 3 GT's fully equipped - I learned the hard lesson of buying a Ford. My last Mustang GT had so many various problems that Ford continued to ignore that my engine blew with 61k miles. I have had 2 tune ups. oil changes on time, a new fuel filter, 5 new coils and so on. Ford takes no responsibility in their failures and the defective Mustang. I am never never going to buy a American car again. Not only because it was a horror on wheels but worse - a corporate giant like Ford wanted to rip me off for $7,000 dollars to fix again - (my mechanic $1,000) - never again will I be caught in American cars. I learned my lesson and they lost a customer forever.

Power - when all coils and sparks are functioning. PS - My CD player works when it wants to. Thats about every other week. No one can fix that either.

Have Japanese manufacturer -- FORD HAS FAILED!

MUSCLE MUSTANG is back!
By LJC

2001 Ford Mustang GT Deluxe 2dr Convertible (4.6L 8cyl 5M)

With just a few tweaks here and there, this car becomes a hybrid muscle car and sports car. Goes FAST, sounds AWESOME, great handling -- like it's superglued to the road. The best part about the tweaks -- e.g. aftermarket exhaust -- is that they don't compromise reliability or fuel economy. The convertible top is very solid and secure when locked up, no flapping or significant noisiness, even on the highway. Top-down, this car is a blast just as well, and the MACH sound system can easily be heard over even a passing semi.

GT performance, convertible, MACH stereo, leather seats, and Laser Red color - yeow!

Functional hood scoop instead of just a pure decoration -- though its mere existence adds much to the look of the car.

100,000 MILES AND THEN...PROBLEMS
By Charlie Hummell

2001 Ford Mustang 2dr Coupe (3.8L 6cyl 5M)

I loved this vehicle until it hit the magic mileage number...100,000 miles. Note also that I do an excellent job maintaining my vehicles. At 100,000 miles, though, my Mustang first had a cracked exhaust manifold ($450.00). A few months later it sprung two oil leaks in the transmission and wouldn't hold any oil ($350.00). About two weeks later it wouldn't start one day (transmission shift cable - $215.00). As I've read in other reviews, I have also experienced the engine vibration as I come to a stop at an intersection. It's now got about 109,000 miles, so I can't really complain, (and I still like the car), but I'm wondering how much life it has until something major goes wrong.

When it's washed and detailed, it's still a great looking vehicle. It's fun to drive...my wife and I take it on road trips up and down the coast as our "fun car."

It's got some blind spots depending on the angle of the intersection / traffic. Do something about the oil leaks! My last car, a Ford Probe, also had problems with oil leaks.

Love the look, Unimpressed by the power
By Pete

2001 Ford Mustang SVT Cobra 2dr Convertible (4.6L 8cyl 5M)

Have had the car for 1 year and have put 5,000 miles on it. My experience so far has been overall positive. No problems mechanically at all. I like the look of the car and love the thrill of driving with the top down. As far as power I am somewhat disappointed. Factory says 320 HP, but only about 245 of that makes it to the rear wheels. Quick starts, but it is very slow to respond when you stomp the gas while driving. The suspension is pretty good. It handles well when cornering at speed, but I hear pops and clunks in it when I make turns or hit small bumps. I like the car but I wish I had bought a 2003 or 2004 "Supercharged" Cobra. Now those are awesome cars!

You buy a sporty car for two reasons, looks and speed. The 2001 Mustang Cobra has ONE of those two features. My favorite features are: it's a HOT looking car and it has a convertible top!

More power! Which can be found in the 03' 04' Cobra. The 2001 Cobra drivetrain should should be more responsive than it is though. Need to improve the suspension too. Interior is just ok.

Great value
By nvbanker

2001 Ford Mustang Deluxe 2dr Convertible (3.8L 6cyl 5M)

This car has given me no trouble whatever. It has taken a lot of abuse from my son, and has kept on ticking. I'm very impressed with its performance, and toughness. For the money, it's the finest car I've seen.

Convertible top works great with no maintenance. Handling is good.

I think they have made them in '05. Except that I like the interior design of mine better than the '05.