Used 2001 Ford Mustang Coupe Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Ford Mustang - Consumer Reviews

2001 Ford Mustang Coupe

View reviews for a specific Mustang model:

Faststang'01
By Todd May

2001 Ford Mustang Coupe GT Deluxe 2dr Coupe (4.6L 8cyl 5M)

Bought her in APR of'02. The stock power grabbed ahold of me and never let go. Didn't lose a race. I have installed started to up grade. K&N FIPK,75mm throttle body/upper plenum, long tube heders with high flow cat's, Flow master cat back,4.10 gears, Hypertech power programmer and Micky Thompsons for the track. This season I have installed a tower strut brace and sub frame braces. For the street I run Good Year 245/45 ZR17 in. tires mounted on Replica BLT 17x9 chrome wheels. I just bought a Gtech performance meter to tell me my actual HP. I've done some paper calcs. and it was above 300 HP, pretty good for just bolt on mods. Not bad since she started at 260. I love her, my wife gets jealous.

Favorite Features

The custom metalic pearl red with clear coat actualy changes color as you walk around her. I don't think the scoops are dorky as the editors comment posted. I have had comments from people thinking it was early model stang. When I fire her up I smile from ear to ear and heads turn everywhere.

Suggested Improvements

I say don't do to much because then everyone can buy one but who's Mustang is it? With the mods I have done I know it is my stang and no one has one like it. I like being able to build on Fords beautiful design and go from there. Just one stang owners opinion.

Beautiful Car 4 last yr. of high school
By stlcap5

2001 Ford Mustang Coupe GT Deluxe 2dr Coupe (4.6L 8cyl 5M)

I haven't had it for that long but the car is just awesome. Gets off the line real quick. Also, once it hits 2nd and 3rd gear the car just takes off. Rides smooth and no complaints at all so far.

Favorite Features

Dual exhaust, V8 engine, exhaust system, horsepower, torque, and the hood scoop.

Suggested Improvements

Only thing is more horsepower and torque would be nice. Thats it though.

Stella
By mstnglvr

2001 Ford Mustang Coupe GT Deluxe 2dr Coupe (4.6L 8cyl 5M)

Absolute joy to own. The only problem I've ever had was a dealer mistake where they overtightened the oil drain plug stripping the bolt and causing a leak. Had it fixed, no other problems.

Favorite Features

Availability of racing parts and accessories from ford and the dealer installs. There is no badder looking car than an "EDGE" style 'Stang.

Suggested Improvements

Needs more horsepower, the factory tune and transmission settings are for grandmothers.

Fun Car
By solo

2001 Ford Mustang Coupe 2dr Coupe (3.8L 6cyl 5M)

Great car. Looks great, performs great, just cant be beat for the price. Only problem I have is that I can't shift into 5th over 75 mph without the gears grinding a little.

Favorite Features

Beautiful car, interior is perfectly designed.

Suggested Improvements

The V6 could use more power. If these other companies can get 280 hp out of a 4 cylinder, why can't this six push the same?

100,000 MILES AND THEN...PROBLEMS
By Charlie Hummell

2001 Ford Mustang Coupe 2dr Coupe (3.8L 6cyl 5M)

I loved this vehicle until it hit the magic mileage number...100,000 miles. Note also that I do an excellent job maintaining my vehicles. At 100,000 miles, though, my Mustang first had a cracked exhaust manifold ($450.00). A few months later it sprung two oil leaks in the transmission and wouldn't hold any oil ($350.00). About two weeks later it wouldn't start one day (transmission shift cable - $215.00). As I've read in other reviews, I have also experienced the engine vibration as I come to a stop at an intersection. It's now got about 109,000 miles, so I can't really complain, (and I still like the car), but I'm wondering how much life it has until something major goes wrong.

Favorite Features

When it's washed and detailed, it's still a great looking vehicle. It's fun to drive...my wife and I take it on road trips up and down the coast as our "fun car."

Suggested Improvements

It's got some blind spots depending on the angle of the intersection / traffic. Do something about the oil leaks! My last car, a Ford Probe, also had problems with oil leaks.