2001 Ford Mustang SVT Cobra - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Mustang model:
Never get a Ford
By Cobra owner on 10/30/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Ford Mustang SVT Cobra SVT Cobra 2dr Coupe (4.6L 8cyl 5M)

All this car has gave me is troubles. I thought a Cobra can be floored once an awhile? But all it did was crack the head, gasket leak, and throttle body defects. I had to take it back to the dealer which gladely fixed it but for me to come back. I would say it has kick ass power, but lacks the quality I paid for it.

High performance commuter
By JerryB on 10/29/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Ford Mustang SVT Cobra SVT Cobra 2dr Coupe (4.6L 8cyl 5M)

The Cobra is a high performance sports car, but, when driven sanely, is a nice ride, very reliable, and a lot of fun. I drive 120 miles/day commuting. I have not had a single problem with this car, which I have owned for over a year now. The car is docile and easy to drive, but when you need the power and handling, its there for the asking. (I get a consistent 20.5 mpg. Premium fuel is required.) I did get new tires at 25,000 miles, as the OEM were wearing fast and not good in the rain. I had a '91 5.0 LS Convertible that was equally reliable for the 135,000 miles that I drove it.

Love to go fast in a .
By SVT on 09/25/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Ford Mustang SVT Cobra SVT Cobra 2dr Convertible (4.6L 8cyl 5M)

Independent rear suspension makes all the difference. Turns heads and perks- up ears. Makes me smile just seeing it in my garage.

You got to own one!
By Eddy Steven on 08/28/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Ford Mustang SVT Cobra SVT Cobra 2dr Coupe (4.6L 8cyl 5M)

After having owned numerous Mustangs dating back to a classic 1965, the 2001 Cobra is the best Mustang Ford has ever made. With 320 hp it is a blast to drive and the independent rear suspension is great for handling and ride quality.

Awesome!
By Arjun Patel on 07/22/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Ford Mustang SVT Cobra SVT Cobra 2dr Coupe (4.6L 8cyl 5M)

Great for school. All arounder. Cheap, affordable, good ride.

Snakums
By Avenging Angel on 06/16/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Ford Mustang SVT Cobra SVT Cobra 2dr Coupe (4.6L 8cyl 5M)

I traded in my 99 Cobra for the 01 & I am happy with the results. The seats feel so much better than my 99 Cobra and they look great with the Cobra on the suede part. The power is there, but quality in fit & finish leaves a lot to be desired. Rattling & wind noises are just a standard option with Ford products to date. The 2001 Cobra definitely has the power, but lacks the suspension & drivetrain of a true performance car.

2001 SVT Cobra
By dougv on 04/16/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Ford Mustang SVT Cobra SVT Cobra 2dr Coupe (4.6L 8cyl 5M)

This is a very fun car. Interior in the 2001 Cobra is better than any other factory Mustang. I love the leather/suede seating surfaces. The 6- disc in-dash CD player is great...much better than having the changer in the trunk or taking up armrest space. The only problem I've had is that the shift from 1st to 2nd would stick. The dealer replaced the whole transmission under warranty within 5 days.

2001 Ford Mustang Cobra
By ron08 on 03/28/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Ford Mustang SVT Cobra SVT Cobra 2dr Coupe (4.6L 8cyl 5M)

The car runs great. The power and pickup are good. I get about 312 miles to the tank, which is not bad for a cobra. The only thing I have noticed is a lag in the drivetrain. It is only noticeable when accelerating slowly. The gears sound as if they are loose. It could be the IRS. I am getting the Kenny-brown suspension for it, so if that doesn't work it is gear or tranny related.

2001 GT Convertible
By Tom in AZ on 03/25/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Ford Mustang SVT Cobra SVT Cobra 2dr Coupe (4.6L 8cyl 5M)

This is a 2001 GT convertible, 5 speed that I purchased new at the end of the model year. Currently have 8000 miles on the car with no real problems. All driving has been commuting in Phoenix area and MPG is 18-20. Haven't taken any extended trips yet but expect highway mileage to be better. Fuel tank size kind of limits range but it would probably be a major task to re size it on a design this old.

Like Cobras???
By Jaxsvt on 03/09/02 13:48 PM (PST)

2001 Ford Mustang SVT Cobra SVT Cobra 2dr Coupe (4.6L 8cyl 5M)

As can be expected you get tons of looks from young and old. Outside design was a big selling point for me as I think that this current iteration of the Mustang is one of the best designs yet. Interior build quality is another matter. Overall material quality is good but big gaps here and there mar what should be a decent interior. As for gas mileage - I get an average of 23mpg.