Used 2001 Ford Mustang SVT Cobra Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Ford Mustang - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Mustang model:

Never get a Ford
By Cobra owner

2001 Ford Mustang SVT Cobra 2dr Coupe (4.6L 8cyl 5M)

All this car has gave me is troubles. I thought a Cobra can be floored once an awhile? But all it did was crack the head, gasket leak, and throttle body defects. I had to take it back to the dealer which gladely fixed it but for me to come back. I would say it has kick ass power, but lacks the quality I paid for it.

Power and Looks

Quality, control and new engine that sucks less gas common it's a car not a truck!

High performance commuter
By JerryB

2001 Ford Mustang SVT Cobra 2dr Coupe (4.6L 8cyl 5M)

The Cobra is a high performance sports car, but, when driven sanely, is a nice ride, very reliable, and a lot of fun. I drive 120 miles/day commuting. I have not had a single problem with this car, which I have owned for over a year now. The car is docile and easy to drive, but when you need the power and handling, its there for the asking. (I get a consistent 20.5 mpg. Premium fuel is required.) I did get new tires at 25,000 miles, as the OEM were wearing fast and not good in the rain. I had a '91 5.0 LS Convertible that was equally reliable for the 135,000 miles that I drove it.

Performance, handling, sound system.

You got to own one!
By Eddy Steven

2001 Ford Mustang SVT Cobra 2dr Coupe (4.6L 8cyl 5M)

After having owned numerous Mustangs dating back to a classic 1965, the 2001 Cobra is the best Mustang Ford has ever made. With 320 hp it is a blast to drive and the independent rear suspension is great for handling and ride quality.

My favorite thing is just driving the car. What fun, and it keeps you feeling young. You got to own one to appreciate it.

A lower rear-end gear ratio (3.55 or 3.73) would be good. And more horsepower would be great (I never can get enough), however it would definately be over kill for the average consumer.

Awesome!
By Arjun Patel

2001 Ford Mustang SVT Cobra 2dr Coupe (4.6L 8cyl 5M)

Great for school. All arounder. Cheap, affordable, good ride.

Exterior design

Spoiler comes with car.

Snakums
By Avenging Angel

2001 Ford Mustang SVT Cobra 2dr Coupe (4.6L 8cyl 5M)

I traded in my 99 Cobra for the 01 & I am happy with the results. The seats feel so much better than my 99 Cobra and they look great with the Cobra on the suede part. The power is there, but quality in fit & finish leaves a lot to be desired. Rattling & wind noises are just a standard option with Ford products to date. The 2001 Cobra definitely has the power, but lacks the suspension & drivetrain of a true performance car.

Engine Performance & Seats

Do away with the 4x4 option (lower the car by 1-1.5 inches), Stronger Half- Shafts, Higher Gear Ratio as an option (3.37-4.30), T-56 Six-Speed Transmission. I know it looks like the 2003 Cobra has most of these, but no thanks to the $5,000 Dealer mark-up. ZO6 here I come.