Used 2001 Ford Mustang GT Deluxe Coupe Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Ford Mustang Coupe - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Mustang model:

Excellent car
By dvenoregon

2001 Ford Mustang Coupe GT Deluxe 2dr Coupe (4.6L 8cyl 5M)

Love the RWD and V-8 power. Don't get the V-6. I like the firm leather seats. Headroom is poor, but expected in a Mustang. Averaged 18-20 MPG over last two years on mixed HWY/city use. Good sound system in the GT. No major problems with the car in the first 36K miles other than the CD player jamming discs. Dealer fixed w/ no problems.

260 HP, 6-CD sound system, leather

Lose the hood scoupe, it decreases visibility and doesn't look that great.

Fun car to drive
By tisource

2001 Ford Mustang Coupe GT Deluxe 2dr Coupe (4.6L 8cyl 5M)

The 2001 Ford Mustang is a very fun car to drive. The 3.8L sedan provides a great balance between power and fuel economy. Handling is great, comfort, although tight for large/tall people, is good. Very nice design inside and out. The only complaint is that the interior is a little heavy on the plastic. The inside of the door feels a little "soft" due to the plastic. Overall, however, super car. No regrets with the purchase.

Interior design (dash especially), gray interior, exterior design (hood, rear spoiler), etc.

"Beef up" the interior to make it heftier.

Mustang GT Impressions
By MachZ2871

2001 Ford Mustang Coupe GT Deluxe 2dr Coupe (4.6L 8cyl 5M)

I leased the GT, the ending up with it over a Chevy Z-28 in a decision of economics (The Z-28 was $5K more). Having traded in a 1997 V-6. I had some expectations. I expected the 4.6 litre V8 to perform better than the Chevy V6, but I really had to rev it up because the low-end torque wasn't there, which in turn exposed the laziness of the 4-speed automatic when commanded to downshift (even manually!). Overall, the GT was a good American muscle car, but lacked some of the really hard-core attributes, road-handling felt soft and and sometimes not sure-footed when pressed hard. Casual drivers would get a kick out of it.

The Mach 460 stereo with in-dash 6-CD changer was a highlight, and the while the hood and side scoops were annoyingly fake, they looked great on the Mineral Grey color that snapped my attention away from all other cars on the lot. (I had one of the first with this color in the area.)

Bigger gages. Better yet, gages that moved when things happened. The voltmeter and oil gauge never moved when the car was running. The interior needed more sportiness, and a sunroof option. Most of all, the transmission needs to be more responsive and the V8 needs more low-end torque.

Silver GT Coup
By Tchefalo

2001 Ford Mustang Coupe GT Deluxe 2dr Coupe (4.6L 8cyl 5M)

I've had the Mustang for almost 3 years and I have enjoyed it. I have read reviews in consumer magazines that I think are too crtitcal. If you buy a Mustang that is what you are looking for, not a Toyota, BMW or Saab. I haven't been disappointed with its performance. Unfortunately, like so many US manufactured vehicles, I have had mechanical problems in the first 3 years. The engine mounts were lose when I picked it up, the fuel pump died and the battery lost its charge. The problems were covered under the warranty including the tow to the dealership for repairs. It didn't turn out to be that big an problem for me because I have a truck too.

8 cylinders and 260 horse power at a reasonable price and with good gas mileage.

The clutch is stiff.

Don't buy new!
By J-master-J

2001 Ford Mustang Coupe GT Deluxe 2dr Coupe (4.6L 8cyl 5M)

This was my first Ford product. I was lured in by the 0% financing and its great looks. I always drive V-8's and demand rear-wheel drive. The Mustang had everything I was looking for. I did have some fit and finish issues and I wish the interior didn't have so much plastic! I sold it after 2 years due to a job relocation. I was barely able to pay off my lien! The depreciation was unbelievable. I paid $25K new and sold it for $17K two years later! Oh yeah.....dealing with Ford Motor Credit is a nightmare! Buyer beware!

Throaty V-8....awesome stereo.....enough power to keep you more than happy!

Improve the fit and finish! Don't deal with Ford Motor Credit!