Used 2001 Ford Mustang Base Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Ford Mustang - Consumer Reviews

2001 Ford Mustang

View reviews for a specific Mustang model:

Great car for the Money!!
By HMustangL

2001 Ford Mustang 2dr Coupe (3.8L 6cyl 5M)

Cant beat this car for 20,000 dollars. It may not be the fastest but it faster then any other car for the price. Why buy a prelude with 200 horse for more money then a mustang gt cost. (by the way I beat a prelude with my stock v6 stang, so take that honda).

Favorite Features

rear wheel drive is so much better then front and great stock sound system. (mach 460 6 cd in dash changer).

Suggested Improvements

More horse power is about all it needs and if you want that buy a gt.

rough vibration and unfixable wind noise
By columbus

2001 Ford Mustang 2dr Coupe (3.8L 6cyl 5M)

Have had continuos problems with wind noise and the 3.8 engine causes vibrations while stopped at intersections. I have been told that it has to do with stiff motor mounts and is only a problem with the 3.8 liter engines. Over all, I am not a happy Mustang owner.

Fun Pony!
By BriGuy

2001 Ford Mustang 2dr Coupe (3.8L 6cyl 5M)

This car is in my top 3 of cars I have ever owned. Didn't want to pay the extra insurance or worse gas mileage so I went for the 3.8 V6. I was worried it would be a wimp, not a chance. Rivals the power I have in my V8 Grand Marquis! Handled great on corners. Got 26 MPG consistently! Sold at 78k and never had a repair!

Favorite Features

Power, hyper green color, style was a head turner, 26 MPG

Suggested Improvements

God-awful in the winter! This was the only reason I got rid of it!

Used to be fun :(
By fordgirlaz

2001 Ford Mustang 2dr Coupe (3.8L 6cyl 5M)

I bought the car used in 2005 when I started college w/a lot of miles already (now 177k). The car was an absolute blast to drive for the1st couple years. Even though it was a V6, the manual tranny gave it some gusto. Sadly after 2-3 years of owning it, I started noticing a ticking sound, which turned out to be a major exhaust leak, & eventually I had both exhaust pipes completely break off from the engine block. Then a couple years later, the major blow out came--I now have a blown piston rod, & the cost of the repairs is more than the car's value. Also had a headlight & all power features go out. So sad to see it go. I would've bought another if it wasn't for the major mechanical setbacks

Favorite Features

Sporty handling; fun with manual transmission (but was really hard to drive at 1st because the clutch is not hydraulic); attractive two-toned interior

Suggested Improvements

Too many exhaust problems (was told this was a chronic problem with the '01 model); not built to last for someone with a lead foot

Decent
By mikes201487

2001 Ford Mustang 2dr Coupe (3.8L 6cyl 5M)

I got a 2001 Ford Mustang from a private owner. The previous owner didn't take care of it. Radio was broken so I had to replace it, she didnt do oil change for 4,000 miles left it. I bought the car at 156,577 miles. now has 159,000 everything is working fine. I love this one cuz of leather seats and its good fun to drive with windows down!