Used 2001 Ford Mustang GT Deluxe Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Ford Mustang - Consumer Reviews

2001 Ford Mustang

View reviews for a specific Mustang model:

Ford Loses A LOYAL one
By Marc

2001 Ford Mustang GT Deluxe 2dr Convertible (4.6L 8cyl 5M)

After leasing Ford Mustangs for 12 years that covered 3 GT's fully equipped - I learned the hard lesson of buying a Ford. My last Mustang GT had so many various problems that Ford continued to ignore that my engine blew with 61k miles. I have had 2 tune ups. oil changes on time, a new fuel filter, 5 new coils and so on. Ford takes no responsibility in their failures and the defective Mustang. I am never never going to buy a American car again. Not only because it was a horror on wheels but worse - a corporate giant like Ford wanted to rip me off for $7,000 dollars to fix again - (my mechanic $1,000) - never again will I be caught in American cars. I learned my lesson and they lost a customer forever.

Favorite Features

Power - when all coils and sparks are functioning. PS - My CD player works when it wants to. Thats about every other week. No one can fix that either.

Suggested Improvements

Have Japanese manufacturer -- FORD HAS FAILED!

MUSCLE MUSTANG is back!
By LJC

2001 Ford Mustang GT Deluxe 2dr Convertible (4.6L 8cyl 5M)

With just a few tweaks here and there, this car becomes a hybrid muscle car and sports car. Goes FAST, sounds AWESOME, great handling -- like it's superglued to the road. The best part about the tweaks -- e.g. aftermarket exhaust -- is that they don't compromise reliability or fuel economy. The convertible top is very solid and secure when locked up, no flapping or significant noisiness, even on the highway. Top-down, this car is a blast just as well, and the MACH sound system can easily be heard over even a passing semi.

Favorite Features

GT performance, convertible, MACH stereo, leather seats, and Laser Red color - yeow!

Suggested Improvements

Functional hood scoop instead of just a pure decoration -- though its mere existence adds much to the look of the car.

American Icon Mustang GT Convertible
By Ben Leone

2001 Ford Mustang GT Deluxe 2dr Convertible (4.6L 8cyl 5M)

This car is a real looker, you would swear it had eyes. Mine has the roll bar; it is killer to look at. Then the light turns green, pure exhilaration, you have to behave because 0-60 in 5.7 seconds can get you in deep quick. I have ridden in more comfortable cars but admit that if I want comfort I will take my Mark VI. This Ford product is tops to drive and own.

Favorite Features

The roll bar of course and the GT option. Along with the great styling of this year.

Suggested Improvements

Perhaps a better looking dash and more comfortable seats.

Fun is a four letter word spelled FORD!
By AJ

2001 Ford Mustang GT Deluxe 2dr Convertible (4.6L 8cyl 5M)

The FORD Mustang GT Convertible is a blast and a treat to enjoy. Even as a 2001 model purchased used online, I am pleased with the performance. The only ding would be the fake hood scoop leaks water a good half an hour after a car wash and thus leave water spots on the hood, etc. Otherwise, let the good times roll!

Favorite Features

Convertible roof and V8 looks.

Suggested Improvements

Fix the fake hood wind intake to not leak water from a car wash or rain.

Still a FORD!
By DjR

2001 Ford Mustang GT Deluxe 2dr Convertible (4.6L 8cyl 5M)

After searching out what I thought would be a great car. I found a car that is not so great! I am 6'4 and the interior for me is horrible. The seats are angled weird. My knee hit the turn signal all the time. Why is it so low? Poor design inside. I enjoy the look of the exterior which is what caught my eye to begin with. But it is not the car I was thinking it would be. A let down. Fast and good looking yes. but a lot of money for just a plastic FORD! Very cheaply made and little to no quality put into it. I had a 300z before this and I am going back to the Z. Day and Night. Rent one first before buying a Mustang. I should have.

Favorite Features

Convertible, performance and Mineral Gray paint color. V8.

Suggested Improvements

Window control button and cruise needs to be lit; dark at night and I can't see it. Seat design. Turn signal lever raise it up. Obviously they did the whole car over for 2005 so I am not sure why I am even complaining in this forum.