Used 2001 Ford Mustang Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Ford Mustang - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Mustang model:

Fun car to drive
By tisource

2001 Ford Mustang GT Deluxe 2dr Coupe (4.6L 8cyl 5M)

The 2001 Ford Mustang is a very fun car to drive. The 3.8L sedan provides a great balance between power and fuel economy. Handling is great, comfort, although tight for large/tall people, is good. Very nice design inside and out. The only complaint is that the interior is a little heavy on the plastic. The inside of the door feels a little "soft" due to the plastic. Overall, however, super car. No regrets with the purchase.

Interior design (dash especially), gray interior, exterior design (hood, rear spoiler), etc.

"Beef up" the interior to make it heftier.

Pedal to the metal
By GT4ME

2001 Ford Mustang GT Deluxe 2dr Convertible (4.6L 8cyl 5M)

I wanted a convertible. I read the V-8 was a more reliable engine so I went with that. After rebate and dealer discounts, the Mustang was $2k LESS than a comparably equipped Miata. I feel safer in a larger car. I can pass other cars on the freeway quite easily now. Love driving with the top down and the exhaust sounds great. Not the best looking inside or out. And not the most reliable compared to Japanese. But thousands of $$ cheaper, so figured that would offset.

Acceleration! The torque (302 lb.- feet) is awesome! The top down ride is like flying (almost). Handling is very good and so is sudden braking (which I've done a little bit).

The leather seats, though nice looking and retro, are uncomfortable over long periods. I replaced the drivers seat with a race seat which is actually an improvement. Interior is dull. I spiced it up a bit with some after market gizmos. Lose the plastic/fake hood & side scoops.

2001COBRA CONVERTIBLE REVIEW
By R T BROWN

2001 Ford Mustang SVT Cobra 2dr Convertible (4.6L 8cyl 5M)

The Cora Convertible offers superior acceleration with reasonable economy-21 miles per gallon average. Has outstanding ride and handling characteristics. No other convertible offers this much power and value. Reliability has been superior over the first 27000 miles. No mechanical problems. Just start it and drive with a big smile on your face as you listen to the rumble of that DOHC V8 turn into a snarl as you approach 7000 RPM!

Piece
By LiLcUtEsHoRtIe

2001 Ford Mustang 2dr Coupe (3.8L 6cyl 5M)

I have had so many problems out of my car. I have had my air intake replaced, my window motor replaced my throttle body replaced, my rpm's will go up by themselves while my foot is on the brake they have replaced the part once and now are saying that the problem is my driving not the car. My car has been in the shop more than i have had it on the road, and it is sad that Ford can't be competent enough to fix it.Consumer reports said that the 01 and 02 mustangs were the worst ones made and the ones with the worst problems. Well if anyone has had these problems email me and let me know it would be helpful.

stock system is great, love the sound of my car sounds like a GT and is only a v6 the interior is comfortable, heat works fast!

Gas milage could be better but i fill up only 1 every week and a half

Mustang GT Impressions
By MachZ2871

2001 Ford Mustang GT Deluxe 2dr Coupe (4.6L 8cyl 5M)

I leased the GT, the ending up with it over a Chevy Z-28 in a decision of economics (The Z-28 was $5K more). Having traded in a 1997 V-6. I had some expectations. I expected the 4.6 litre V8 to perform better than the Chevy V6, but I really had to rev it up because the low-end torque wasn't there, which in turn exposed the laziness of the 4-speed automatic when commanded to downshift (even manually!). Overall, the GT was a good American muscle car, but lacked some of the really hard-core attributes, road-handling felt soft and and sometimes not sure-footed when pressed hard. Casual drivers would get a kick out of it.

The Mach 460 stereo with in-dash 6-CD changer was a highlight, and the while the hood and side scoops were annoyingly fake, they looked great on the Mineral Grey color that snapped my attention away from all other cars on the lot. (I had one of the first with this color in the area.)

Bigger gages. Better yet, gages that moved when things happened. The voltmeter and oil gauge never moved when the car was running. The interior needed more sportiness, and a sunroof option. Most of all, the transmission needs to be more responsive and the V8 needs more low-end torque.