Used 2001 Ford Mustang SVT Cobra Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Ford Mustang - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Mustang model:

Great car, NEEDS GEARS!
By 10mm

2001 Ford Mustang SVT Cobra SVT Cobra 2dr Convertible (4.6L 8cyl 5M)

Ford made a great one size fits all muscle car here. I recently bought the car with only 2400 miles on her. Love the seats, the stock exhaust sound too. However, the 4V engine does not make a lot of tq down low so from idle to 3500rpm's the 4V is a bit weak but from 3800 to 6000rpm is sheer bliss! The only good about the long 3:27 gears is if you set the cruise at 60mph you can easily get 27mpg. Cowl shake is a bit annoying buts its a 'vert so its to be expected. Fit and finish on this particular car is good for a mass produced Ford. I love this car...

Favorite Features

The IRS handles the street roads well. Top down cruising is amazing. Great engine but needs to revving to make streetable, linear power. Good bang for the buck here.

Suggested Improvements

Should have come stock with 3:55's and have available 3:73 and 4:10 optional ratios. Fox body chassis does flex a LOT but its the nature of the beast.

SVT time
By cobraetti

2001 Ford Mustang SVT Cobra SVT Cobra 2dr Coupe (4.6L 8cyl 5M)

I have owned one for over a year and am pleased. They are "finiky" and require a close eye (oil level) but seem to have a solid base. I am proud to be one of the few SVT owners! andrew

Favorite Features

320 hp motor

Suggested Improvements

Tighten up the IRS

Great Car!
By EGKStang

2001 Ford Mustang SVT Cobra SVT Cobra 2dr Coupe (4.6L 8cyl 5M)

I love this car, it rides very smooth and has great acceleration and pickup. I find the seats to be comfortable and they have a nice grip to them. Fuel economy, it's a sports car! When I drive it reasonably I get decent gas mileage; when I get on it, I don't. This is a very fun car, I traded a 00 GT for it. To me it beats the GT in all aspects. It gets lots of looks and people ask me to rev it a lot. It's a Cobra :) More than a car, a symbol!

Favorite Features

I love the Cobra emblems on the sides, the Cobra letters on the rear bumper. The Cobra's in the seats, the interior itself is awesome. The speed; at 3k RPM it really starts moving.

Suggested Improvements

I know Ford put the 3.27's in for fuel economy, but if I wanted fuel economy I wouldn't buy a Cobra. Put some 4.10's in there! I will be soon. :)

The reason I live
By Gerard

2001 Ford Mustang SVT Cobra SVT Cobra 2dr Coupe (4.6L 8cyl 5M)

I love this car more than anything. I have never driven a car that felt so much like pure muscle. I have driven imports like the s2000 and WRX as well as others. But this car here, let me tell you, is a must have for any man needing a boost. Everything about this car is pure muscle, no turbos, superchargers or anything like that. I have a full Bassani exhaust as well as Steeda Stage 2 suspension kit, lowered it about 1.5 inches. Short shifter and K&N filter. 350 horses baby. There is nothing else like this car so if you find one in good shape buy it!

Favorite Features

2nd gear / exhaust.

Suggested Improvements

Maybe raise the hood a little more.

Love the look, Unimpressed by the power
By Pete

2001 Ford Mustang SVT Cobra SVT Cobra 2dr Convertible (4.6L 8cyl 5M)

Have had the car for 1 year and have put 5,000 miles on it. My experience so far has been overall positive. No problems mechanically at all. I like the look of the car and love the thrill of driving with the top down. As far as power I am somewhat disappointed. Factory says 320 HP, but only about 245 of that makes it to the rear wheels. Quick starts, but it is very slow to respond when you stomp the gas while driving. The suspension is pretty good. It handles well when cornering at speed, but I hear pops and clunks in it when I make turns or hit small bumps. I like the car but I wish I had bought a 2003 or 2004 "Supercharged" Cobra. Now those are awesome cars!

Favorite Features

You buy a sporty car for two reasons, looks and speed. The 2001 Mustang Cobra has ONE of those two features. My favorite features are: it's a HOT looking car and it has a convertible top!

Suggested Improvements

More power! Which can be found in the 03' 04' Cobra. The 2001 Cobra drivetrain should should be more responsive than it is though. Need to improve the suspension too. Interior is just ok.