2001 Ford Mustang SVT Cobra - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Mustang model:
Great car, NEEDS GEARS!
By 10mm on 08/18/09 11:03 AM (PDT)

2001 Ford Mustang SVT Cobra SVT Cobra 2dr Convertible (4.6L 8cyl 5M)

Ford made a great one size fits all muscle car here. I recently bought the car with only 2400 miles on her. Love the seats, the stock exhaust sound too. However, the 4V engine does not make a lot of tq down low so from idle to 3500rpm's the 4V is a bit weak but from 3800 to 6000rpm is sheer bliss! The only good about the long 3:27 gears is if you set the cruise at 60mph you can easily get 27mpg. Cowl shake is a bit annoying buts its a 'vert so its to be expected. Fit and finish on this particular car is good for a mass produced Ford. I love this car...

SVT time
By cobraetti on 10/15/08 18:35 PM (PDT)

2001 Ford Mustang SVT Cobra SVT Cobra 2dr Coupe (4.6L 8cyl 5M)

I have owned one for over a year and am pleased. They are "finiky" and require a close eye (oil level) but seem to have a solid base. I am proud to be one of the few SVT owners! andrew

Great Car!
By EGKStang on 06/09/06 10:54 AM (PDT)

2001 Ford Mustang SVT Cobra SVT Cobra 2dr Coupe (4.6L 8cyl 5M)

I love this car, it rides very smooth and has great acceleration and pickup. I find the seats to be comfortable and they have a nice grip to them. Fuel economy, it's a sports car! When I drive it reasonably I get decent gas mileage; when I get on it, I don't. This is a very fun car, I traded a 00 GT for it. To me it beats the GT in all aspects. It gets lots of looks and people ask me to rev it a lot. It's a Cobra :) More than a car, a symbol!

The reason I live
By Gerard on 01/02/06 20:38 PM (PST)

2001 Ford Mustang SVT Cobra SVT Cobra 2dr Coupe (4.6L 8cyl 5M)

I love this car more than anything. I have never driven a car that felt so much like pure muscle. I have driven imports like the s2000 and WRX as well as others. But this car here, let me tell you, is a must have for any man needing a boost. Everything about this car is pure muscle, no turbos, superchargers or anything like that. I have a full Bassani exhaust as well as Steeda Stage 2 suspension kit, lowered it about 1.5 inches. Short shifter and K&N filter. 350 horses baby. There is nothing else like this car so if you find one in good shape buy it!

Love the look, Unimpressed by the power
By Pete on 10/16/05 07:31 AM (PDT)

2001 Ford Mustang SVT Cobra SVT Cobra 2dr Convertible (4.6L 8cyl 5M)

Have had the car for 1 year and have put 5,000 miles on it. My experience so far has been overall positive. No problems mechanically at all. I like the look of the car and love the thrill of driving with the top down. As far as power I am somewhat disappointed. Factory says 320 HP, but only about 245 of that makes it to the rear wheels. Quick starts, but it is very slow to respond when you stomp the gas while driving. The suspension is pretty good. It handles well when cornering at speed, but I hear pops and clunks in it when I make turns or hit small bumps. I like the car but I wish I had bought a 2003 or 2004 "Supercharged" Cobra. Now those are awesome cars!

'01 Mustang Cobra Convertible
By Nowell on 08/28/05 13:13 PM (PDT)

2001 Ford Mustang SVT Cobra SVT Cobra 2dr Convertible (4.6L 8cyl 5M)

This car replaced my '01 Trans Am WS6. Cobra's interior quality is a little better but fells cramp. What I like the most in this car is that it's a convertible! The T/A is very stable at speed, but for side street performance I'd go with the Cobra. My conclusion is Cobra is fun to drive in the street and the convertible makes it looks better.

01 SVT Cobra Convertible
By Tom D on 06/09/05 16:08 PM (PDT)

2001 Ford Mustang SVT Cobra SVT Cobra 2dr Convertible (4.6L 8cyl 5M)

What a great car. The car will do whatever you ask of it, from pushing it hard to weekly commuting. Bought used at 22K miles and selling it at 64K miles over 2.5 yrs. Seems to have above average resale value. Had thermostat fail which almost caused a melt down, but didn't do any damage. Overall, a fairly expensive vehicle to own/operate. Repair parts, brake pads/rotors, tires seem expensive due to low availability and more performance oriented design. Insurance wasn’t bad but could be with questionable record. Questionable usage during winter, didn’t have many problems driving in Michigan but certainly need to pick your battles and find alternate transportation/stay home a few days.

CobraSVT
By TTaco on 07/01/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Ford Mustang SVT Cobra SVT Cobra 2dr Coupe (4.6L 8cyl 5M)

I love this car. It is a blast to drive! I dont care where I need to go as long as I'm driving the Cobra I have fun doing it. I added a few modifications to increase the power and improve on the suspension and have it just how I wanted it. I would highly recommend this car.

Sexy Beast
By Twiztid Jedi on 04/27/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Ford Mustang SVT Cobra SVT Cobra 2dr Coupe (4.6L 8cyl 5M)

I love my Cobra. I treat it bad like it deserves and still nothing has gone wrong except for some bald tires.

Best Car I've Owned
By PatrickC. on 04/26/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Ford Mustang SVT Cobra SVT Cobra 2dr Coupe (4.6L 8cyl 5M)

I've had no major problems with the car that weren't a result of my own modifications. In factory trim the car is great and everytime I've been to the dealership for service I've been treated well. The Cobra is a product of SVT, almost a company to itself within Ford, and being so your treated differently than a normal vehicle owner at the dealership, SVT has specially trained mechanics at all authorized SVT dealers and if the vehicle is to be kept for a few days you automatically get a free rental.