Used 2001 Ford Mustang Base Coupe Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Ford Mustang Coupe - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Mustang model:

Decent
By mikes201487

2001 Ford Mustang Coupe 2dr Coupe (3.8L 6cyl 5M)

I got a 2001 Ford Mustang from a private owner. The previous owner didn't take care of it. Radio was broken so I had to replace it, she didnt do oil change for 4,000 miles left it. I bought the car at 156,577 miles. now has 159,000 everything is working fine. I love this one cuz of leather seats and its good fun to drive with windows down!

good car, fast in highway
By trooper66

2001 Ford Mustang Coupe 2dr Coupe (3.8L 6cyl 5M)

I love this car, just did not give me headaches, fast, strong, distinctive, is not a very expensive car and very profitable. The pieces get them anywhere, not expensive repair, this car is the best thing Ford has manufactured without belittling others, I have with my car three years and only tune ups, oil changes, tires and bands, normal ! I have a 3.8 l v6 mustang base 5 speed. Accelerated to highway 95 and the car shows no tremors or anything at all, mine has 120k, the only thing I do not like in this car are fake vents on the sides of the car. The rest is perfect.

Used to be fun :(
By fordgirlaz

2001 Ford Mustang Coupe 2dr Coupe (3.8L 6cyl 5M)

I bought the car used in 2005 when I started college w/a lot of miles already (now 177k). The car was an absolute blast to drive for the1st couple years. Even though it was a V6, the manual tranny gave it some gusto. Sadly after 2-3 years of owning it, I started noticing a ticking sound, which turned out to be a major exhaust leak, & eventually I had both exhaust pipes completely break off from the engine block. Then a couple years later, the major blow out came--I now have a blown piston rod, & the cost of the repairs is more than the car's value. Also had a headlight & all power features go out. So sad to see it go. I would've bought another if it wasn't for the major mechanical setbacks

Sporty handling; fun with manual transmission (but was really hard to drive at 1st because the clutch is not hydraulic); attractive two-toned interior

Too many exhaust problems (was told this was a chronic problem with the '01 model); not built to last for someone with a lead foot

Great car
By stangdude

2001 Ford Mustang Coupe 2dr Coupe (3.8L 6cyl 5M)

I bought my 01 Stang in 2003. I love my Stang. I've taken many road trips and every time I get 30 mpg. I have taken care of my Stang, getting the regular maintenance. I do not race the car, but this thing will get up and go. I will be a Stang man for life.

Looks great and sporty. Great gas milage on the highway.

Great car
By 3.8guy

2001 Ford Mustang Coupe 2dr Coupe (3.8L 6cyl 5M)

For the money you can't beat it. I've put 35000 miles on it since I've had it with little to NO trouble aside from regular maintenance. 85000 on it now and still going strong. Very practical car for daily driving, but also good fun when the mood strikes. So far I've been able to get 31mpg on the highway and about 17/18 in the city with a 5 speed trans. Not bad for an 8 year old sports car.

rear wheel drive, dual cockpit design, mechanically solid

cupholders could be in a better location