2001 Ford Mustang - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Mustang model:
Great car, NEEDS GEARS!
By 10mm on 08/18/09 11:03 AM (PDT)

2001 Ford Mustang SVT Cobra 2dr Convertible (4.6L 8cyl 5M)

Ford made a great one size fits all muscle car here. I recently bought the car with only 2400 miles on her. Love the seats, the stock exhaust sound too. However, the 4V engine does not make a lot of tq down low so from idle to 3500rpm's the 4V is a bit weak but from 3800 to 6000rpm is sheer bliss! The only good about the long 3:27 gears is if you set the cruise at 60mph you can easily get 27mpg. Cowl shake is a bit annoying buts its a 'vert so its to be expected. Fit and finish on this particular car is good for a mass produced Ford. I love this car...

Love the look, Unimpressed by the power
By Pete on 10/16/05 07:31 AM (PDT)

2001 Ford Mustang SVT Cobra 2dr Convertible (4.6L 8cyl 5M)

Have had the car for 1 year and have put 5,000 miles on it. My experience so far has been overall positive. No problems mechanically at all. I like the look of the car and love the thrill of driving with the top down. As far as power I am somewhat disappointed. Factory says 320 HP, but only about 245 of that makes it to the rear wheels. Quick starts, but it is very slow to respond when you stomp the gas while driving. The suspension is pretty good. It handles well when cornering at speed, but I hear pops and clunks in it when I make turns or hit small bumps. I like the car but I wish I had bought a 2003 or 2004 "Supercharged" Cobra. Now those are awesome cars!

'01 Mustang Cobra Convertible
By Nowell on 08/28/05 13:13 PM (PDT)

2001 Ford Mustang SVT Cobra 2dr Convertible (4.6L 8cyl 5M)

This car replaced my '01 Trans Am WS6. Cobra's interior quality is a little better but fells cramp. What I like the most in this car is that it's a convertible! The T/A is very stable at speed, but for side street performance I'd go with the Cobra. My conclusion is Cobra is fun to drive in the street and the convertible makes it looks better.

01 SVT Cobra Convertible
By Tom D on 06/09/05 16:08 PM (PDT)

2001 Ford Mustang SVT Cobra 2dr Convertible (4.6L 8cyl 5M)

What a great car. The car will do whatever you ask of it, from pushing it hard to weekly commuting. Bought used at 22K miles and selling it at 64K miles over 2.5 yrs. Seems to have above average resale value. Had thermostat fail which almost caused a melt down, but didn't do any damage. Overall, a fairly expensive vehicle to own/operate. Repair parts, brake pads/rotors, tires seem expensive due to low availability and more performance oriented design. Insurance wasn’t bad but could be with questionable record. Questionable usage during winter, didn’t have many problems driving in Michigan but certainly need to pick your battles and find alternate transportation/stay home a few days.

2001 Cobra Conv.
By NJCobra on 03/25/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Ford Mustang SVT Cobra 2dr Convertible (4.6L 8cyl 5M)

2 words....Adrenaline Rush. This is the most fun car I have ever driven. A combination of class and power.

2001COBRA CONVERTIBLE REVIEW
By R T BROWN on 02/17/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Ford Mustang SVT Cobra 2dr Convertible (4.6L 8cyl 5M)

The Cora Convertible offers superior acceleration with reasonable economy-21 miles per gallon average. Has outstanding ride and handling characteristics. No other convertible offers this much power and value. Reliability has been superior over the first 27000 miles. No mechanical problems. Just start it and drive with a big smile on your face as you listen to the rumble of that DOHC V8 turn into a snarl as you approach 7000 RPM!

01 cobra conv
By LUNGRIPPER on 10/22/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Ford Mustang SVT Cobra 2dr Convertible (4.6L 8cyl 5M)

I love it! Its the most fun car I have ever owned. Wish it had the blower though. :)

I LOVE my SVT Cobra!!!!!!
By Joy on 10/22/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Ford Mustang SVT Cobra 2dr Convertible (4.6L 8cyl 5M)

WARNING--THIS IS A GIRL REVIEW!!!!!!! I Do NOT Even Pretend to Know About Cars!!!! This is just my Opinion Of My Car, Which I Adore!!!!! First of all, it Growls!!!!! I love getting in this car, turning the ignition, and listening to the engine go...Grrrowwl! This is the way a car should sound. Secondly, it GOES!!!!!!! Complete stop to 60 MPH quick. Going 65 and need to go MUCH faster, no prob. And.....it does it with class. I LOVE the way it corners! Smooth as a babies sweet rear-end! Also, I really appreciate the easiness of the stick shift. It is logical, quick, and there is no question--- ever, of which gear you are in. Done. I love it.

2001 Cobra convertable
By qwert on 05/13/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Ford Mustang SVT Cobra 2dr Convertible (4.6L 8cyl 5M)

Very fun car to drive, especially with the top down. Good low end power, very sharp handling. Steering response is crisp and precise. Road noise with top up is less than expected. This is a fun car for a long drive, a Sunday cruise with the top down, or a daily commute to work.

Ford almost hit the mark!
By Marty I on 03/30/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Ford Mustang SVT Cobra 2dr Convertible (4.6L 8cyl 5M)

Transmission problems, grind 1-2 shift and 3-4 shift when cold. CD's sticking in 6 disc player. Water leaks around windows(convertable). Premature carpet wear around accelerator pedal. Poor traction under hard acceleration (wheel hop). It seems that Ford chose to put a light duty transmission behind a 320 HP engine. Overall poor quality for a vehicle costing close to 35,000.00 dollars. Very little dealer support in addressing the problems. Traded it in for a 50th Anniversary Vette. I'll rate that after I drive it for a while.