2000 Ford Mustang Consumer Review: Surprising Performance

2000 Ford Mustang - Consumer Review

Base Convertible (3.8L V6 5-speed Manual)

Surprising Performance
By dave on

2000 Ford Mustang 2dr Convertible

I wasn't looking for a Mustang and have never been a big fan. I saw this 7 year old vehicle with less than 55k miles while looking at other convertibles. I gave it a try because of the low price and was really impressed. I actually liked the handling better than Mustang GT convertibles I'd driven. I was surprised by how powerful the V6 felt with the 5 speed manual. My particular car must have spent a lot of time in the garage based on the low mileage, tight feel, and nearly flawless interior and exterior. I thought I'd miss the quick open/close of the top that I had with a Miata, but this power top is fast and seems well made. On the road the blue color seems one of the least common.

Performance, convertible top, looks.

Every Mustang 5 speed transmission I've ever driven feels the same. There are plenty of other shifters I've used (Miata, Mini, Audi) that just feel right. Each position feels well-defined and the shifter wants to go in each one. That's what the Mustang 5 speed lacks.