Used 2000 Ford Mustang Base Coupe Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2000 Ford Mustang Coupe - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Mustang model:

Dangerous underpowered rust bucket
By Nick

2000 Ford Mustang Coupe 2dr Coupe

The car's interior is a joke. Cheap, boring plastic. It was outdated even for 20 years ago. The V6 is severely underpowered. Good luck accelerating in 5th gear unless you've got a ton of momentum. Almost anything over an entry level 4 banger is faster. In snow, it is undriveable. In the rain, it is just plain dangerous. Hydroplanes, and cannot get traction. The car feels unsafe. At high speeds, it was bumpy, and felt loosely connected to the road. The car rusted out completely on bottom. Could pick chunks of rust off the frame. I sold it to an unsuspecting buyer, who probably will have to part it out or crush it. In the near future. AC was terrible. Tires go flat

Paint quality was strong. No paint chips. Generally reliable for the 40,000 miles I owned it.

Ford needs to use better quality metal and galvanize better/better rust protection. This car was well taken car off, and barely driven over the 8 years I had it. This rust should have never happened. Ford should be ashamed. This car was a joke.

Simple Car... Still fun!
By jillybeansalad

2000 Ford Mustang Coupe 2dr Coupe

I have not had any major work done to my car since I bought it early 2004 used. I've never been stranded anywhere and we have been doing our own usual maintenance ourselves, no professional work other than smog testing, which it passes easily. I have just started feeling the shifting become harder, and as an ex- owner of a '92 hatchback Mustang (both are automatics) it's to be expected as my milage is nearing 100,000.

This car handles curves very well. I of course only have the automatic coupe, but it has good pickup for its weight and really, it's probably best for my lead foot. :)

It's loud and not that good on bumpy terrain. I would also appreciate a better turning radius, U-turns aren't to be taken lightly. lol

Ford dies fast
By Greenmustang

2000 Ford Mustang Coupe 2dr Coupe

I initially bought this car brand new in 2000, and it was awesome. However, it quickly started to have some serious issues. I had to replace the alternator at 45K, and the rear end work at 55. My check engine light was on for 3 years, after multiple repeated attemts at fixing it finally was fixed. I had an Escort before the Mustang, and it had similar reliability issues. My next car will be a Honda or Toyota.

Look, and drive of the car is fun.

Make it more reliable. Holy cow, way too much on repairs.

Reliable, Fun and Quick
By siciliano_88

2000 Ford Mustang Coupe 2dr Coupe

My car has all the options and the mach stereo system. I have spent $0 repairing this Mustang other than neccesary ex. oil, fluids, and have had no problems. The v6 has plenty of power for the everyday user and unbelievable gas mileage on the highway. I put on a fuel induction preformance kit and now it sounds amazing, with great throttle response. I could not be happier!

Great styling, throaty exhaust, quickness, stereo and the fact that Ford made something dependable for once.

More cushion on the seats in the leather interior, cup holders need to be moved.

fun and sporty
By escofam

2000 Ford Mustang Coupe 2dr Coupe

Originally went to buy a Cougar - couldn't make the deal. Went over to Ford and drove a used Mustang. Most of the miles have been highway and the Stang is nothing but fun to take on a trip. Mileage has been outstanding - upper 20's and occasionally getting into the 30's. Changing the stock 15" wheels out for the 17" Mach 1 wheels made it even sportier and better handling. Even though the car is now 6 years old I still get compliments on it's sporty looks. Car has been flawless and reliable. Admittedly it is a little tough to drive in snow so it has been the summer time trip car.

Performance of the V6 - has enough spunk for the average driver as well as good fuel economy. Also the aggressive looks makes it stand out.

Better road noise control.