Used 2000 Ford Mustang GT Convertible Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2000 Ford Mustang - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Mustang model:

Fun car but needs help
By randali

2000 Ford Mustang Convertible GT 2dr Convertible

Fun car to drive. No major problems since purchase. Has to many squeeks for a car with 33K miles. The 5 speed tranny can be cumbersome and sometimes produces a clanking sound. The cabin is very noisy and a lot of heat comes up from the center console by the parking break. Terrible seating position and unacceptable adjustment for head rests (I'm 5'10 and the headrest does not reach my head. The plastic interior is kind of cheesy and has sharp edges. Exhaust sounds great and its an eyecatcher in red but I wouldn't buy another.

Favorite Features

Nice body style and decent power on the top end, OK handling

Suggested Improvements

Needs better seating and headrests, better interior finish, smoother transmission, reverse gear sync, more bottom end power ,gripping cup holders, better cabin insulation for noise and transmission heat. Cut down the amount of wind in the face when the top is down. Add fold down rear seats.

A Really Good Car
By Victoria MV

2000 Ford Mustang Convertible GT 2dr Convertible

I've had this great car for a year and 3 months now. It was two years old with 32k miles and I have since added another 22k miles. I have experienced absolutely no problems and the car runs great. A couple months back, I got into a car accident but the car proved to be incredibly resilient. The car has never given me any reason to feel unsafe, even at very high speeds (upwards of 130 mph).

Favorite Features

Convertible top, the compliments I recieve from complete strangers, the raw power, handling and reliability.

Suggested Improvements

Please Ford, can you make the seats go back a little further, especially the passenger seat. On a long trip, I like to let someone else take over the driving, and sleep but the seat barely goes down at all. Also, at times, the cupholders interfere with the stick shift.

I love my Mustang!
By Lorien

2000 Ford Mustang Convertible GT 2dr Convertible

I have owned my Mustang convertible for two and a half trouble-free years. This is a well made car for its level of vehicle. I owned Cadillacs previously and while this isn't a Caddy, it is exactly what I wanted...a fun convertible with lots of power! I have found the Ford brand to be high quality and the dealership to be very good. Would highly recommend this car!

Favorite Features

convertible top, speed and handling

Suggested Improvements

make cup holders deeper so that drinks don't interfere with shifting into second gear, allow for the rear seats to fold down so that there is more trunk space if needed

Just A Stang
By trrbo

2000 Ford Mustang Convertible GT 2dr Convertible

I bought this car for my wife in 2000. The next day went out and put 2 stage flows on it to make it rumble. It guzzles gas, is a little sluggish on the bottom, but once it gets going it is fairly fast. My Ford F150 has more torque and is quicker off the bottom. Overall, it is fun to drive, but is very loud (ragtop)and the tranny has already gone out. Thank god it was under warranty. It has been a fun car, but it rattles a lot and feels loose with only 27,000 miles. I won't buy another one.

Favorite Features

Its a stang !

Suggested Improvements

Buy a real sportscar, not a musclecar that falls apart. My next car will not be American made.

not perfect, but pretty good
By caspian6

2000 Ford Mustang Convertible GT 2dr Convertible

I bought this car used with 3200 miles on it. Saved about $5k over a new one. The car has been ok since I've owned it, I have a couple problems with it though. First is the throwout bearing noise which Ford refuses to admit to hearing. Second is a rear chassis squeak that they of course cannot hear neither. I rarely drive the car now so these nuances are not that big of a deal. I just installed Steeda Sport Springs and I can't believe the improvement. Ford should have put these on from the start! Otherwise, I love the exhaust note and the power.

Favorite Features

5 speed, 17" wheels, v8. hard to keep under 100mph :-P

Suggested Improvements

Fix the damn throwout bearing noise! Install better springs and lower these cars where they SHOULD be.