2000 Ford Mustang Base Coupe Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2000 Ford Mustang - Consumer Reviews

2000 Mustang Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Mustang model:

Sort Reviews by

It saved me!
By stefff

2000 Ford Mustang Coupe 2dr Coupe

My first beautiful 2000 Mustang V6 coupe, purchased in 2010, saved me when some tattooed meth freak hit my driver's door at 60mph as I was making a left turn on a small two lane (no passing zone). I was dazed but the car was totaled, as was f-wit's Honda. He walked away, donchaknow. The replacement, another base 2000 coupe, is even nicer, with fewer miles and the same excellent reliability. It has a bit of clutch chatter, but nothing's perfect. I enjoy every mile and am happy to have some steel wrapped around me!

Favorite Features

The V6 engine is strong and well behaved. The stock cheapo seats are comfortable. The gearbox is great with perfect ratios. It is hard to be critical of a car as good as this that sells for $3k - $6k thgese days.

Suggested Improvements

The seat belts are problematic; if given a half twist accidentally they will lock up down inside on the retainer spool and refuse to release. Been through this with both cars. The locking mechanism on the rear seatbacks can jam and refuse to release.

Mustang Engine Problem
By maria1669

2000 Ford Mustang Coupe 2dr Coupe

I bought this car 10 months ago at 57,000 miles and have since put on 12,000 miles. I have had no problems with this car since I got it and have done all the regular preventative maintenance and oil changes on date. A rod just broke out of nowhere and now I need to replace the engine. There are only 69,000 miles on this vehicle. This is rediculous. I will not buy another Ford again. I thought of this car as an A+ hands down, and then got blindsided by this incident. Not happy about it and very disappointed.

Favorite Features

style, how it rides

Suggested Improvements

Warranties, deck needs improvement unless you custom put your own deck in

Still Loving it after 12 years
By karent1231

2000 Ford Mustang Coupe 2dr Coupe

Bought my Stang new in 2000, would have loved the GT but fell in love with the Gold V6 with the 5 speed. The color still gets compliments today. Have 67K on it, and until yesterday have only had to replace tires, a battery, front brakes,bad window/lock switch and a fuel line which rotted out . Yesterday the clutch blew. I cant even be upset about it. The maintenance on this car has been next to nothing. I love the performance, still has a lot of kick! One bad paint spot on the roof and not happy with the fog on the headlights. Great car and will be buying another when this one decides to go to heaven

Favorite Features

Gold paint, responsive 5 speed, favorite body styling till the 2012 came out but feel guilty admiring them I love this one so much.

Suggested Improvements

The foggy headlights and the way water pools in the spoiler after giving her a bath

One Amazing Car
By andrewj2k

2000 Ford Mustang Coupe 2dr Coupe

I have owned my mustang for about 8 years. I purchased it used in 2004 with about 98k on the odometer. Today I am proud to announce I broke the acclaimed 250k mark!!!! The car still runs strong and I'm about to have the transmission serviced for the first time tomorrow at the Ford dealership (my friend recommended I do it, I kept topping off fluid every once in a while, nothing major, no leaks). The car still runs strong, shifts great, smooth ride. Added cold air intake, dual exhaust to give it a better sound and thats about it! Full synthetic oil changes at about 3,500 miles. City & Hwy miles... I love this car!!!!

Favorite Features

It's been great, since it's been paid off for a couple of years now, I'm enjoying the financial return of owning the car outright! I love this vehicle and it's solid built transmission and engine.

Suggested Improvements

The seats are becoming uncomfortable, I'm guessing because it's been sat in for 250k miles... I'm sure with any car with this much riding it would need a new interior, I'll look into it, probably when they fall out ;).

1 1/2 years late......
By josh37

2000 Ford Mustang Coupe 2dr Coupe

I poasted a review of this car when i first got it in the begining of 2010. I have done NO engine or transmission work to this car. It has been very reliable and has never left me stranded. I did have to have it painted because of the cheap paint that ford used. This was my first car, and it's special to me, i named him "black stallion." My AC doesnt work, buttons started falling off the radio so i got a JVC radion/cd player installed. The ride isnt bad, the car doesnt jar your neck when you hit a bump like my grandpaws 2010 mustang. I tell myself that i want a new car, but everytime i get in "black stallion" i say, what was i thinking, this is my baby. Gas millage isnt that bad either.

Favorite Features

Handling, styling, brakes, almost everything.

Suggested Improvements

Better paint; which has probably been fixed in the newer ones, better seats; very plain looking.

Great car People think its v8 LOL
By Josh

2000 Ford Mustang Coupe 2dr Coupe

I bought this car for wife for her first car on valenitnes day! Sunburst gold metallic clearcoat. Beautiful car. It has k&N CAI and Flowmaster Dual exhaust and rear end gear gear has been changed. solid car goes like hell and reliable real headturner. Really liked it when my wife showed up 79 camaro show car with 15000 grand in motor while he was showboating with his wife. He could barely keep up and we were just toying. Ford Rocks. Just bought new supercrew Great truck got rid of dakota, don't but. Chrysler is crap. Chevy is ok just need more balls.Peace

Favorite Features

Showing people up just for them to find out it is a v6.

Suggested Improvements

Wider stance

No problems that wernt expected
By this is a great car

2000 Ford Mustang Coupe 2dr Coupe

I bought this car in 2000 and I have driven it in my work for the last 10 years. Had to repair the transmission at 125,000 miles changes brakes, shocks and oil. Put on a duel exhaust and an h pipe did a couple of tune up and the car has 342,425 miles on it. Engine runs very good does not burn oil and always starts up when called for. Body is showing some signs of wear and will need body work this year. I love the car and would not think of getting rid of it. Has the usual mechanical problems of any car with that many miles on it but I just love driving it. If I ever had to replace it I would look for another the same style and year

Favorite Features

It's just a fun car to drive and with normal maintenance it will last for a long time. No thanks to foreign cars with plastic timing belts and lawn mower engines

Suggested Improvements

Should have offered better rims and larger tires other than that nothing i can think of

First time in a Ford
By hammerdrop64

2000 Ford Mustang Coupe 2dr Coupe

I bought this car used with 101,000 mi. It has the 3.8 v6. It now, has 133,600 mi. The only things I've done to it is change oil, flush rad. and change brakes. I have mostly been a Chevy person, and have owned a couple Toyota's. But, I would buy another Mustang. Great car!

Favorite Features

sporty looks

Suggested Improvements

interior design. But, It's already been taken care of with the later models

Not a Bad Stang
By Rainier

2000 Ford Mustang Coupe 2dr Coupe

So i have 149,500 on my 5speed hunter green stallion. Everthing has been good up till 120,00, but come on with that high miles something is bound to go wrong!!! It still runs but it need a new clutch, Motor mounts, and a tune up. Over all ill keep this car forever!!!

Favorite Features

the 3.8 5speed

FUN!
By josh37

2000 Ford Mustang Coupe 2dr Coupe

I love this car.. It's My first car and I'm proud of it. I have the 5 spd. It has plenty of power and i use it. It is comfortable to drive and to ride in, but the backseat is cramped. but its a sports car so its not suppose to be big. The sound system is pretty good and i love the cd player, it plays homemade cds and it sounds good. I love to hear the roar of that engine when the rpm's get up to about 3000. I haven't had it long but so far i have to get the front right brake calapaer cleaned out, i need to plugs, and my clicker doesn't work but i can live without that. This car is SEXY i think, Mine is all black with Cobra rims on it. I totally recommend this car.

Favorite Features

POWER, LOOKS, and everything else.

Suggested Improvements

it might be just me but it seems like u have to rev it high to get going in reverse (might just be that brake).