Used 2000 Ford Mustang Coupe Consumer Reviews - 121 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2000 Ford Mustang Coupe - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Mustang model:

Awesome car! v6 power exiting!
By Sergio

2000 Ford Mustang Coupe 2dr Coupe

I love this car, is beautiful and durable, the guy who sold it to me did not take care of it but the car response under pressure overpasses my expectatives, ford did good; was running with no oil and until I realize it, it last! a truly horse of the road.

Kick butt old school
By 5.0Mustang

2000 Ford Mustang Coupe GT 2dr Coupe

I avoided admitting my appreciation for late-model GTs for a long time just because it was so un-P.C. But when the '99s came out I was intrigued. I bought my black 2000 5-speed as a lightly-used and nicely-equipped example (leather, Mach 460 stereo, etc.) in mid-2001.

Words cannot express how much I loved that car. I drove it for 12 years and nearly 180,000 virtually trouble-free miles before trading it in on my current 2013 GT 5.0.

The good: great performance, chunky masculine style that turns heads, cheap to maintain, very reliable, just the right touch of attitude, the sound of a 2-valve V-8 roaring through an H-pipe, reasonable economy for the performance, a good level of practicality for what it is. My kids fit in the back. Limitless aftermarket modifications and go-fast parts supply. My dealer is great. You're the coolest dad at your kids' school. Keeps everyone at church guessing.

The bad: not much. There are cars with better quality interior trim, more refinement, and nicer fit and finish. But anyone buying a Mustang knows it's no Lexus.

The ugly: the backwards-hat crowd in bespoilered front-drive compacts with fart cans always wants to show off in front of you. Your neighbors may hate it, especially if you install Flowmasters and do a full-bore romp on the gas pedal at 6 a.m. Or at least they'll think you're a hoon. Self-righteous European car owners may think you're tacky (full disclosure...my wife has a newer BMW X3, we're just not full of ourselves over it). Cop bait.

Bottom line: If you want a fast car that is reasonably practical and has just the right dose of good-natured obnoxiousness built in, you've come to the right place. For any pre-2005 Mustang I recommend welding in a good set of subframe connectors to stiffen up the body structure for the long haul, and then driving the heck out of it.

It saved me!
By stefff

2000 Ford Mustang Coupe 2dr Coupe

My first beautiful 2000 Mustang V6 coupe, purchased in 2010, saved me when some tattooed meth freak hit my driver's door at 60mph as I was making a left turn on a small two lane (no passing zone). I was dazed but the car was totaled, as was f-wit's Honda. He walked away, donchaknow.

The replacement, another base 2000 coupe, is even nicer, with fewer miles and the same excellent reliability. It has a bit of clutch chatter, but nothing's perfect. I enjoy every mile and am happy to have some steel wrapped around me!

The V6 engine is strong and well behaved. The stock cheapo seats are comfortable. The gearbox is great with perfect ratios. It is hard to be critical of a car as good as this that sells for $3k - $6k thgese days.

The seat belts are problematic; if given a half twist accidentally they will lock up down inside on the retainer spool and refuse to release. Been through this with both cars. The locking mechanism on the rear seatbacks can jam and refuse to release.

I'm sure this may sound sad.
By firecatf6

2000 Ford Mustang Coupe GT 2dr Coupe

How much do I love my mustang?
I put the car in heated storage and I visit it a couple times a week...and admire it.
Sick???
13years old just turned 100k never seen winter
But still oiled and dripping.
Works great... Gold and shows so different from red or black.
Handles like a dream..with a few upgrades..
I still love the heck out of it.
Even after driving a 2013 Boss

Only really fits two

Improve the driving lights

I love my GT
By bob501

2000 Ford Mustang Coupe GT 2dr Coupe

I bought my 2000 GT with 147,000 miles on it and have put another 30,000 on it since. The only mechanical failure was the throwout bearing went out on the clutch thats it. This is my 3rd mustang and my favorite one. This car just keeps getting better.

Powerful V8 with a wide power band. Classic pony car style. Lots of quality after market parts available at a low price new and used. Made in America baby.

Make sure you put synthetic oil in it for the engine rear dif and transmission and clean the filters. Change the stick out for a billet aluminum model because the factory shifter is notchy and hard to find third gear. I suggest 373 or 410 gears in the rear end. Race grade clutch. Computer tune. Cold Air intake . Long tube headers and catalytic delete.