Used 1999 Ford Mustang Coupe Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Ford Mustang - Consumer Reviews

1999 Ford Mustang Coupe

View reviews for a specific Mustang model:

Best car Ive owned
By toomanyfords

1999 Ford Mustang Coupe 2dr Coupe

Bought 99 in 2001 new with 5000 miles. Owned it for 10 1/2 years and put about 100k miles on it. Never had one single problem with it ever. Good on gas and fun to drive. The only maintenance I ever did were oil changes.

Favorite Features

Excellent power and handling

I'm going to miss my Penny :(
By Tyler Morris

1999 Ford Mustang Coupe 2dr Coupe

I bought this car in August of 2013. I loved the car. I moved from STL to Seattle and drove her all the way without a single hiccup. The car itself remained probably free I kept it maintained and she proved to be a really awesome first car. Sadly I was t-boned a few weeks ago and shes gone :( but i will definitely be looking for a new mustang!

Favorite Features

I love the "new edge" styling that ford used on these mustangs. Best looking modern mustang in my opinion.

Suggested Improvements

Lackluster interior which doesn't age well. A little more power would not have hurt either.

Great Car
By pfrank

1999 Ford Mustang Coupe GT 2dr Coupe

Bought my 1999 Mustang GT Coupe brand new in June 1999. It's still going strong at 148,000 miles. Other than normal maintenance I've only had to replace the alternator, battery once, and yesterday the intake manifold due a crack. I was told this is common and Ford did extended the warranty for it to 75,000 mi. My car is red and the color and shine is still great. My mechanic just offered to buy it, but it's hard to part with it. Peak performance is on the open highway. A little confining for me as an older guy, but for younger guys, highly recommended. Want it? Go for it and buy it. Good deal all around.

Favorite Features

Power, performance, style, reliability. Love the Mach sound system. Fold down back seat to give great truck spacing.

1999 Mustang GT
By Phillip

1999 Ford Mustang Coupe GT 2dr Coupe

I purchased my 1999 Mustang GT in August 2009 from a private seller.It has 72,400 miles on it. The beautiful red with gray leather interior gets a lot of compliments and the car has always been garaged and looks new!It has a manual 5 speed transmission. I love the exhaust sound but do wish that it had more power in the low/mid range power band. I have owned a Mustang SVO and a 1967 Mustang Fastback over the years. The cup holder location in the 1999 GT is a disaster but the stereo sounds very good and the car handles ok even though the tie rods wear pre-maturely and begin to squeak when turning. Ford should have went to a adjustable clutch cable instead of the automatic adjustment system.

Favorite Features

Looks Stereo Availablity of parts Easy to repair yourself Reliability Exhaust tone Used prices very reasonable for what you get

Suggested Improvements

Different cup holder More power from factory Tie rods with lube fittings Adjustable clutch cable from the factory Better cup holders

Love my pony!
By ponygirl

1999 Ford Mustang Coupe 2dr Coupe

I bought this used in 2000 with 18,000 miles on it and it now has 112,000 miles. Just a few minor problems. At random times, it didn't want to start and after several attempts at trying to figure out what the problem was, it turns out it was in the security system. About a $300.00 fix..The only other issue is the headlights which develop a white film..I am a multi mustang owner and love this '99. My daughter now drives it and also loves it. Very fun car and comfortable for smaller individuals. All cars should be this dependable.

Favorite Features

The body style is an eye turner and I love the manual transmission.

Suggested Improvements

The headlight covers develop a white film which I find is almost impossible to remove. This could definitely be improved.