1999 Ford Mustang Coupe - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Mustang model:
Great Car
By pfrank on 07/01/10 12:56 PM (PDT)

1999 Ford Mustang Coupe GT 2dr Coupe

Bought my 1999 Mustang GT Coupe brand new in June 1999. It's still going strong at 148,000 miles. Other than normal maintenance I've only had to replace the alternator, battery once, and yesterday the intake manifold due a crack. I was told this is common and Ford did extended the warranty for it to 75,000 mi. My car is red and the color and shine is still great. My mechanic just offered to buy it, but it's hard to part with it. Peak performance is on the open highway. A little confining for me as an older guy, but for younger guys, highly recommended. Want it? Go for it and buy it. Good deal all around.

1999 Mustang GT
By Phillip on 01/25/10 19:50 PM (PST)

1999 Ford Mustang Coupe GT 2dr Coupe

I purchased my 1999 Mustang GT in August 2009 from a private seller.It has 72,400 miles on it. The beautiful red with gray leather interior gets a lot of compliments and the car has always been garaged and looks new!It has a manual 5 speed transmission. I love the exhaust sound but do wish that it had more power in the low/mid range power band. I have owned a Mustang SVO and a 1967 Mustang Fastback over the years. The cup holder location in the 1999 GT is a disaster but the stereo sounds very good and the car handles ok even though the tie rods wear pre-maturely and begin to squeak when turning. Ford should have went to a adjustable clutch cable instead of the automatic adjustment system.

Love my pony!
By ponygirl on 07/25/09 14:11 PM (PDT)

1999 Ford Mustang Coupe 2dr Coupe

I bought this used in 2000 with 18,000 miles on it and it now has 112,000 miles. Just a few minor problems. At random times, it didn't want to start and after several attempts at trying to figure out what the problem was, it turns out it was in the security system. About a $300.00 fix..The only other issue is the headlights which develop a white film..I am a multi mustang owner and love this '99. My daughter now drives it and also loves it. Very fun car and comfortable for smaller individuals. All cars should be this dependable.

Love or hate
By Love or hate on 01/21/09 22:32 PM (PST)

1999 Ford Mustang Coupe 2dr Coupe

I love the car's style and performance. However my driver side exhaust manifold had litteraly broken twice now. That is quite enoying at a cost of around $450 each time. It only has 85000 miles and the clearcoat is falling off of the car. I washed and waxed the car religiously. The interior is still like brand new.

I know, I know, all 10's?
By Ruby The Red Pony on 07/28/08 12:07 PM (PDT)

1999 Ford Mustang Coupe 2dr Coupe

Yep. And it's the truth. I have had nothing but a great experience owning this little pony for the past 9 years running strong. It still shines up nice, gets looks from everybody- and their mom. It sounds cool even with a stock v6. Nice little rumble. Power? Very sufficient. Handling? Does fine, takes corners, stops on a dime. Interior? I have driven the new (05+ models) and I honsetly didn't feel as snug in them. I like the hugging quality of this model over the newer, more sedan-like interiors. Feels sportier. I put GT rims and tires on mine for a little more handling. Never had a breakdown. I have driven this thing across the country, pure joy. What a great car. For the price, a great deal. Great stereo, great motor, looks awesome. A value and a joy.

Love my car
By ebonyrebel on 06/10/08 19:48 PM (PDT)

1999 Ford Mustang Coupe 2dr Coupe

I got this car as a junior in college. I'd always wanted a Mustang since I was a child. The roar of the pipes and the overall sexiness of the car was totally appealing to me. I've put a lot of highway miles on it due to college and traveling home over the years. As a young woman driver on the road alone a lot it's been very reassuring to know that my Stang is realiable. Only work I've had done is a new alternator and now I need a started. That's it.

Best bang for the buck!
By pwl on 08/23/07 00:38 AM (PDT)

1999 Ford Mustang Coupe GT 2dr Coupe

Purchased new, passed 100,000 earlier this year. Cars these days have become more powerful, but in 1999, this car was the best bang for the buck other than the high-school-kid-styling Camaro/Firebird twins. Works well as a daily driver, but fun to drive and can burn some rubber when you feel like it. Aside from a few initial fit/finish issues, car has been very reliable with no major fixes. I did recently have to have the rear differential rebuilt with new parts for >$2k due to the oil leaking out after poorly designed speed bumps dented the diff. case. However, I believe this was a freak incident and should be even less likely to happen to a stock car. (Mine is lowered around 1.5".)

A Mustang is a true Legend
By Brian on 01/24/06 03:27 AM (PST)

1999 Ford Mustang Coupe GT 2dr Coupe

I'm a college student and 18 years old. I just recently bought a 1999 Mustang GT anniversary edition. I bought it for $10,500 w/ 51,000 miles. To tell you the truth it was a heck of a deal. But for all the people who are reading these to get an idea about what people think about Mustangs, I will give you my honest opinion. The Mustang GT is fast. 0-60 is around 5.5 secs. And the roar of the engine is to die for. And it handles really well. I mean really well. The car is built to last a while, I can tell you that. The disadvantage is the gas mileage, seating space, and the winter. I average around 18 city and 22 highway. The backseats are a little too small. Overall it's a great muscle car!

Excellent Choice
By timothy novak on 01/18/06 17:12 PM (PST)

1999 Ford Mustang Coupe 2dr Coupe

I have owned this car for a little over 4 years, and have not had any major problems with it. Of course, the oxygen sensors have needed to be replaced, but doesn't every car have that problem? Periodically, my odometer displays turns off, but this is just a minor problem...if even a problem at all. Yesterday, it wouldn't start, so I will need to replace either the battery or the starter. Now this is no big deal, considering the car is paid for, and this is the only problem that I have ever had. Over all, excellent car and I would buy another.

Great car for the money!
By E H King on 06/29/05 15:13 PM (PDT)

1999 Ford Mustang Coupe 2dr Coupe

My friend purchased this model a few months before me. I loved it so much, I went out and bought one. This has been the best car I have owned. For the money, it's hard to beat. Quality, durability, and it's fun! Total in almost 6 years of owning for all/any repairs: $350.00. Minor work done. Just now had to change brakes. Other than oil changes no up keep!