Used 1999 Ford Mustang Convertible Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Ford Mustang Convertible - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Mustang model:

Lots Of Bang For The Buck
By Mike D

1999 Ford Mustang Convertible GT 2dr Convertible

This is my 3rd Stang, having previously owned an 86GT Hatch and an 86LX Cnvt. Bought the 99 with 11,000 miles in 2001. Currently has 145,000. This is a great car. Have had almost no mechanical problems. Great style and performance. Great exhaust sounds. Mach 460 radio/CD is great too. Convertible top works well. Tends to eat brakes. Headlight covers do fog over. Don't hit a bump in the middle of a turn or you'll find yourself in the next lane.

Performance, style, exhaust sound, audio system, convertible top.

Front seats are awful! Extremely uncomfortable. Seats in 2000 and newer are much improved. Cupholders are not good. Door panels are cheap.

Pretty good car
By steve

1999 Ford Mustang Convertible GT 2dr Convertible

I bought my Mustang GT back in May of 01 and had the car till Feb of 08. This car was very well taken care of and I drove the car pretty crazy. The only reason I kept it running so well is because my uncle is a mechanic so most of the problem were fixed by him. I pumped regular gas in it but always used 10-30 oil. When it got to 75,000 miles I started using 10-30 high mileage mobil oil fully synthetic. That was the best oil I used. My car never leaked any oil because I always replaced any gaskets or seals that needed replacing. Changed all the normal wear & tear stuff. Always kept the car original except for the flowmasters. When I ran a smog check it had better results than a brand new Mustang

Handles great, convertible top

A little more power, better intake mainfold. That one that came with it had to get replaced. Better coil sensors, little bit more room in the inside

Awesome car!
By AWESOME CAR!!!

1999 Ford Mustang Convertible 2dr Convertible

I bought this car for 17000 from a blonde girl who owned for only 9 months, and only 11000 miles. The reason im saying this is because she bought a MB CLK coupe with 45000 miles for 30000! Go figure! I love this silver convertible mustang since the very first day. The car looks great. I added 20" black wheels and lowered 2". People on the street always stare. I have owned this car since Dec 2000. The only thing that I have change on this car is the oil and brakes once. Oh I also upgraded the headlights to all clear, and smoke the tailights. The car has 105k miles, and I will keep it for many more years. The car has been super reliable.

Handling, power, stickshift, freezing AC, gas mileage, top down, looks, looks, and looks. Very fun to drive especially in the summer in Southern California.

Get rid of the cup holder, noisy power steering, make the convertible bar standard on convertibles.

Good Car
By James

1999 Ford Mustang Convertible 2dr Convertible

I bought this Mustang in Feb. of 2004 with only 52,000 miles on it. It already had the 60,000 miles work done on it. Since then I've driven it to about 88,000 miles. It performs great - good acceleration and decent cornering (though I rarely push either). The top very rarely leaks, only when I've driven in BIG storms. It's only happened twice. This is a big improvement over my last convertible, a 92 Mustang. The only problems I've had are that the cruise control button fell off one day last year (it's still usable) and the front brakes have needed A LOT of work ($1300). They always cover the front rims with brake dust as well. Overall I'm very happy with the car.

Nice acceleration, body style & pony rims, tight seal on the top, gas mileage (about 20/27).

The brake work was needed apparently due to a factory defect but I guess it's going to be something or other with most every car.

LOVE MY PONY!
By SOPHIE

1999 Ford Mustang Convertible 2dr Convertible

Have never had any problems with my 1999 Mustang convertible. I love this car! Am considering trading for the 2005, but having a hard time parting with this one.

Who needs a top!

More horsepower would be good; better gas mileage would be great.