Used 1999 Ford Mustang GT Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Ford Mustang - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Mustang model:

Most Helpful|
Best bang for the buck!
By pwl

1999 Ford Mustang GT 2dr Coupe

Purchased new, passed 100,000 earlier this year. Cars these days have become more powerful, but in 1999, this car was the best bang for the buck other than the high-school-kid-styling Camaro/Firebird twins. Works well as a daily driver, but fun to drive and can burn some rubber when you feel like it. Aside from a few initial fit/finish issues, car has been very reliable with no major fixes. I did recently have to have the rear differential rebuilt with new parts for >$2k due to the oil leaking out after poorly designed speed bumps dented the diff. case. However, I believe this was a freak incident and should be even less likely to happen to a stock car. (Mine is lowered around 1.5".)

Favorite Features

Torque! Exhaust note. Decent stereo with the Mach 460 system. Improved handling with Eibach Pro-kit aftermarket springs

Suggested Improvements

Front seat headrests are atrociously designed, with very poor positioning. Interior trim is cheap, but then I guess that's how they put in that much power in an affordable package. Trunk interior ceiling gets lower as you go deeper in, and can be limiting.

Great Car
By pfrank

1999 Ford Mustang GT 2dr Coupe

Bought my 1999 Mustang GT Coupe brand new in June 1999. It's still going strong at 148,000 miles. Other than normal maintenance I've only had to replace the alternator, battery once, and yesterday the intake manifold due a crack. I was told this is common and Ford did extended the warranty for it to 75,000 mi. My car is red and the color and shine is still great. My mechanic just offered to buy it, but it's hard to part with it. Peak performance is on the open highway. A little confining for me as an older guy, but for younger guys, highly recommended. Want it? Go for it and buy it. Good deal all around.

Favorite Features

Power, performance, style, reliability. Love the Mach sound system. Fold down back seat to give great truck spacing.

1999 Mustang GT
By Phillip

1999 Ford Mustang GT 2dr Coupe

I purchased my 1999 Mustang GT in August 2009 from a private seller.It has 72,400 miles on it. The beautiful red with gray leather interior gets a lot of compliments and the car has always been garaged and looks new!It has a manual 5 speed transmission. I love the exhaust sound but do wish that it had more power in the low/mid range power band. I have owned a Mustang SVO and a 1967 Mustang Fastback over the years. The cup holder location in the 1999 GT is a disaster but the stereo sounds very good and the car handles ok even though the tie rods wear pre-maturely and begin to squeak when turning. Ford should have went to a adjustable clutch cable instead of the automatic adjustment system.

Favorite Features

Looks Stereo Availablity of parts Easy to repair yourself Reliability Exhaust tone Used prices very reasonable for what you get

Suggested Improvements

Different cup holder More power from factory Tie rods with lube fittings Adjustable clutch cable from the factory Better cup holders

Third time's a charm!
By Third time's a charm

1999 Ford Mustang GT 2dr Coupe

I had a 1987 Mustang GT that I swore I would never trade. Well that fell through when I set my sights on a 1999 official 35th Anniversary Stang. This car is absolutely amazing. Its muscular yet sexy at the same time. This is my third Mustang and by far my favorite. We're keeping this one and already saving up to buy a '05 as a daily driver. I tell you what that 4.6 V8 has so much power its amazing.

Favorite Features

Beautiful leather interior. Automatic shifts so smoothly. Traction control is wonderful. Great exhaust note and great dependability!

Suggested Improvements

Ford: Keep doing what you're doing and I will always be a loyal customer!

A Mustang is a true Legend
By Brian

1999 Ford Mustang GT 2dr Coupe

I'm a college student and 18 years old. I just recently bought a 1999 Mustang GT anniversary edition. I bought it for $10,500 w/ 51,000 miles. To tell you the truth it was a heck of a deal. But for all the people who are reading these to get an idea about what people think about Mustangs, I will give you my honest opinion. The Mustang GT is fast. 0-60 is around 5.5 secs. And the roar of the engine is to die for. And it handles really well. I mean really well. The car is built to last a while, I can tell you that. The disadvantage is the gas mileage, seating space, and the winter. I average around 18 city and 22 highway. The backseats are a little too small. Overall it's a great muscle car!

Favorite Features

The body style, the incredible performance, especially for the price, and the handling. And if you get the option of having the MACH Sound System, it's really nice too. Overall a Mustang is a dream car. It really is. If you get a Mustang GT I can assure you won't be disappointed.

Suggested Improvements

I wish they could make the back seats a little bigger, or just make it a 2 seater. You really can't do much about the gas mileage because of the V8 engine and 260hp. And the fact that it's rear wheel drive that you will slip around in the snow and some rainy days. But that's all understandable.