Used 1999 Ford Mustang Base Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Ford Mustang - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Mustang model:

Awesome car!
By AWESOME CAR!!!

1999 Ford Mustang 2dr Convertible

I bought this car for 17000 from a blonde girl who owned for only 9 months, and only 11000 miles. The reason im saying this is because she bought a MB CLK coupe with 45000 miles for 30000! Go figure! I love this silver convertible mustang since the very first day. The car looks great. I added 20" black wheels and lowered 2". People on the street always stare. I have owned this car since Dec 2000. The only thing that I have change on this car is the oil and brakes once. Oh I also upgraded the headlights to all clear, and smoke the tailights. The car has 105k miles, and I will keep it for many more years. The car has been super reliable.

Handling, power, stickshift, freezing AC, gas mileage, top down, looks, looks, and looks. Very fun to drive especially in the summer in Southern California.

Get rid of the cup holder, noisy power steering, make the convertible bar standard on convertibles.

Good Car
By James

1999 Ford Mustang 2dr Convertible

I bought this Mustang in Feb. of 2004 with only 52,000 miles on it. It already had the 60,000 miles work done on it. Since then I've driven it to about 88,000 miles. It performs great - good acceleration and decent cornering (though I rarely push either). The top very rarely leaks, only when I've driven in BIG storms. It's only happened twice. This is a big improvement over my last convertible, a 92 Mustang. The only problems I've had are that the cruise control button fell off one day last year (it's still usable) and the front brakes have needed A LOT of work ($1300). They always cover the front rims with brake dust as well. Overall I'm very happy with the car.

Nice acceleration, body style & pony rims, tight seal on the top, gas mileage (about 20/27).

The brake work was needed apparently due to a factory defect but I guess it's going to be something or other with most every car.

LOVE MY PONY!
By SOPHIE

1999 Ford Mustang 2dr Convertible

Have never had any problems with my 1999 Mustang convertible. I love this car! Am considering trading for the 2005, but having a hard time parting with this one.

Who needs a top!

More horsepower would be good; better gas mileage would be great.

Best Car for A College Student
By Actuary

1999 Ford Mustang 2dr Convertible

This car was my party vehicle throughout my college years. I have 145,000 miles on it and all I had to do was change the oil. My convertible top hydraulics began to leak at 100,000 and that is all I had to fix. Of course since I take the top down and put it back up a million times when I went out it had to break eventually! :) I plan on driving this bad boy until 200,000 miles and keeping it as my fun vehicle.

I like the front of the car and design of the body. The acceleration is the most amazing part.

The cup holder is kind of in an awkward place.

Solid Stang
By Paul Dunphy

1999 Ford Mustang 2dr Convertible

I've owned my 1999 convertible Mustang for 5 years with only 1 problem. I had a problem shortly after I bought it with one of the convertible top hydraulics going out. The car was used, with 17,000 miles on it, before I got it and apparently someone tried taking the top down with it still latched into the windshield and this caused the failure. Other than that I have had no mechanical problems with this car and it is used as a daily driver. The Mustang is a little bumpy because of the sports suspension and height from the ground but that's what you come to expect in a performance RWD car. Don't expect to be riding like a Caddy in this bad boy, but you'll ride in style!

Power for the dollar, convertible top for those summer days, it looks hot, mechanical reliability, good on gas.

Body flex, though this has been addressed in the 2000 - 2004 Mustangs. Rear seating is cramped but realistically this is a 2 seater cruiser and not a family car.