1999 Ford Mustang Base Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Ford Mustang - Consumer Reviews

1999 Mustang Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Mustang model:

Sort Reviews by

Best car Ive owned
By toomanyfords

1999 Ford Mustang 2dr Coupe

Bought 99 in 2001 new with 5000 miles. Owned it for 10 1/2 years and put about 100k miles on it. Never had one single problem with it ever. Good on gas and fun to drive. The only maintenance I ever did were oil changes.

Favorite Features

Excellent power and handling

I'm going to miss my Penny :(
By Tyler Morris

1999 Ford Mustang 2dr Coupe

I bought this car in August of 2013. I loved the car. I moved from STL to Seattle and drove her all the way without a single hiccup. The car itself remained probably free I kept it maintained and she proved to be a really awesome first car. Sadly I was t-boned a few weeks ago and shes gone :( but i will definitely be looking for a new mustang!

Favorite Features

I love the "new edge" styling that ford used on these mustangs. Best looking modern mustang in my opinion.

Suggested Improvements

Lackluster interior which doesn't age well. A little more power would not have hurt either.

Great Car
By pfrank

1999 Ford Mustang GT 2dr Coupe

Bought my 1999 Mustang GT Coupe brand new in June 1999. It's still going strong at 148,000 miles. Other than normal maintenance I've only had to replace the alternator, battery once, and yesterday the intake manifold due a crack. I was told this is common and Ford did extended the warranty for it to 75,000 mi. My car is red and the color and shine is still great. My mechanic just offered to buy it, but it's hard to part with it. Peak performance is on the open highway. A little confining for me as an older guy, but for younger guys, highly recommended. Want it? Go for it and buy it. Good deal all around.

Favorite Features

Power, performance, style, reliability. Love the Mach sound system. Fold down back seat to give great truck spacing.

Lots Of Bang For The Buck
By Mike D

1999 Ford Mustang GT 2dr Convertible

This is my 3rd Stang, having previously owned an 86GT Hatch and an 86LX Cnvt. Bought the 99 with 11,000 miles in 2001. Currently has 145,000. This is a great car. Have had almost no mechanical problems. Great style and performance. Great exhaust sounds. Mach 460 radio/CD is great too. Convertible top works well. Tends to eat brakes. Headlight covers do fog over. Don't hit a bump in the middle of a turn or you'll find yourself in the next lane.

Favorite Features

Performance, style, exhaust sound, audio system, convertible top.

Suggested Improvements

Front seats are awful! Extremely uncomfortable. Seats in 2000 and newer are much improved. Cupholders are not good. Door panels are cheap.

1999 Mustang GT
By Phillip

1999 Ford Mustang GT 2dr Coupe

I purchased my 1999 Mustang GT in August 2009 from a private seller.It has 72,400 miles on it. The beautiful red with gray leather interior gets a lot of compliments and the car has always been garaged and looks new!It has a manual 5 speed transmission. I love the exhaust sound but do wish that it had more power in the low/mid range power band. I have owned a Mustang SVO and a 1967 Mustang Fastback over the years. The cup holder location in the 1999 GT is a disaster but the stereo sounds very good and the car handles ok even though the tie rods wear pre-maturely and begin to squeak when turning. Ford should have went to a adjustable clutch cable instead of the automatic adjustment system.

Favorite Features

Looks Stereo Availablity of parts Easy to repair yourself Reliability Exhaust tone Used prices very reasonable for what you get

Suggested Improvements

Different cup holder More power from factory Tie rods with lube fittings Adjustable clutch cable from the factory Better cup holders

Love my pony!
By ponygirl

1999 Ford Mustang 2dr Coupe

I bought this used in 2000 with 18,000 miles on it and it now has 112,000 miles. Just a few minor problems. At random times, it didn't want to start and after several attempts at trying to figure out what the problem was, it turns out it was in the security system. About a $300.00 fix..The only other issue is the headlights which develop a white film..I am a multi mustang owner and love this '99. My daughter now drives it and also loves it. Very fun car and comfortable for smaller individuals. All cars should be this dependable.

Favorite Features

The body style is an eye turner and I love the manual transmission.

Suggested Improvements

The headlight covers develop a white film which I find is almost impossible to remove. This could definitely be improved.

Love or hate
By Love or hate

1999 Ford Mustang 2dr Coupe

I love the car's style and performance. However my driver side exhaust manifold had litteraly broken twice now. That is quite enoying at a cost of around $450 each time. It only has 85000 miles and the clearcoat is falling off of the car. I washed and waxed the car religiously. The interior is still like brand new.

Favorite Features

Rear wheel drive, stereo, looks, CD and cassete player (for my Ipod)

Suggested Improvements

Paint quality, exhaust qulity, CD player does not always work. Cassette player is done.

Pretty good car
By steve

1999 Ford Mustang GT 2dr Convertible

I bought my Mustang GT back in May of 01 and had the car till Feb of 08. This car was very well taken care of and I drove the car pretty crazy. The only reason I kept it running so well is because my uncle is a mechanic so most of the problem were fixed by him. I pumped regular gas in it but always used 10-30 oil. When it got to 75,000 miles I started using 10-30 high mileage mobil oil fully synthetic. That was the best oil I used. My car never leaked any oil because I always replaced any gaskets or seals that needed replacing. Changed all the normal wear & tear stuff. Always kept the car original except for the flowmasters. When I ran a smog check it had better results than a brand new Mustang

Favorite Features

Handles great, convertible top

Suggested Improvements

A little more power, better intake mainfold. That one that came with it had to get replaced. Better coil sensors, little bit more room in the inside

I know, I know, all 10's?
By Ruby The Red Pony

1999 Ford Mustang 2dr Coupe

Yep. And it's the truth. I have had nothing but a great experience owning this little pony for the past 9 years running strong. It still shines up nice, gets looks from everybody- and their mom. It sounds cool even with a stock v6. Nice little rumble. Power? Very sufficient. Handling? Does fine, takes corners, stops on a dime. Interior? I have driven the new (05+ models) and I honsetly didn't feel as snug in them. I like the hugging quality of this model over the newer, more sedan-like interiors. Feels sportier. I put GT rims and tires on mine for a little more handling. Never had a breakdown. I have driven this thing across the country, pure joy. What a great car. For the price, a great deal. Great stereo, great motor, looks awesome. A value and a joy.

Favorite Features

Cornering. It just sticks to the road. Suspension. Comfortable yet stiff. Looks great. Engine: solid and powerful. Nice torque. Keeps up with anybody pretty easy. Actually fits quite a bit of stuff in the trunk.

Love my car
By ebonyrebel

1999 Ford Mustang 2dr Coupe

I got this car as a junior in college. I'd always wanted a Mustang since I was a child. The roar of the pipes and the overall sexiness of the car was totally appealing to me. I've put a lot of highway miles on it due to college and traveling home over the years. As a young woman driver on the road alone a lot it's been very reassuring to know that my Stang is realiable. Only work I've had done is a new alternator and now I need a started. That's it.

Favorite Features

Powerful. I'll never forget the first time I fish-talied..whoo hoo! Style. People are always complementing the car. What's not attractive about a Mustang. Dependability!

Suggested Improvements

The headlights are really foggy and since I'm only 5 feet tall it's not that comfortable to me.