Used 1998 Ford Mustang Base Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Ford Mustang - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Mustang model:

I just love my '98 Mustang
By Caleb

1998 Ford Mustang 2dr Coupe

I have a 1998 automatic v6 Mustang. I just love it. It has 218,000 miles and still running great. The only thing that I've had a problem with is the alternator and I only replaced it once. That's the only trouble I've had with it in the 4 years I've had it and I think that's pretty darn good. It handles great, has good power, and good gas mileage. I've been car shopping and I just can't find anything that I like better. Not even the newer Mustangs. I think they perfected the Mustang in '98. It has good power and good gas mileage.I think I'm just going to have to find another '98 Mustang when mine finally gives up the ghost which I'm hoping is a long time from now.

Favorite Features

I love my leather seats. A friend of mine has a newer Mustang with leather seats and we both agree mine are much more comfortable.

Suggested Improvements

Nothing at all

Who said not to buy American?
By jared

1998 Ford Mustang 2dr Coupe

I absolutely love my Mustang. Although it isn't the V8 it still has decent power. The best oart about it is the styling inside and especially out, it makes the car so fun to drive. Ford did something right with this car too becuase I havent had to fix it once. All my friends and family love it.

Favorite Features

I love the stylish looks. The sound of the engine. The reliabilty is surprising.

Suggested Improvements

I just wish the V6 had about 20-40 more horsepower.

Giddyup Pony
By Adam

1998 Ford Mustang 2dr Coupe

I just got a 98 5spd V6, and its been a decent car. The fact that it has 215ft/lbs of torque, and an open differential makes driving in the rain less than pleasurable. Handling is subpar as well for a sports car. I have autocrossed it, and while the torque makes up for the lack of horsepower, the handling drags your times down significantly. With some upgrades, it could be a stellar car, but why upgrade it when I can get a better handling and faster car such as the Miata or 300ZX for the same price. All in all, its a decent car that will take a beating, but don't expect it to be a true spors car. This isn't a true sports car, but if you want a sporty cruiser, then this will satisfy you

Favorite Features

RWD, torquey V6

Suggested Improvements

Limited slip differenetial, tighter turn radius, better interior build quality to reduce squeaks and groans, better gas mileage, independent rear suspension

Super Mustang
By HappyJuls

1998 Ford Mustang 2dr Coupe

My Mustang has been a great car. It has been on many road trips and traveled 180,000 miles and I have had no problem with the car at all. I haven't taken the best care of it (mechanical wise), but it still runs great. I really don't have any major complaints about it! Definitely got my moneys worth out of it.

Favorite Features

I love how I fit into the car. The seat is so comfortable and everything is in perfect reach. It is like the car was made just for me!

Suggested Improvements

The cupholders really aren't too functional for actually holding cups while driving - cups spill out. I would make the opening to trunk larger - lots of trunk space, just hard to get stuff in the trunk. Not much room for other passengers. My car holds me and thats about it.

'98 Ford Mustang
By Powerhorse

1998 Ford Mustang 2dr Coupe

My 1998 Ford Mustang is by far the best car I have ever owned. It gets about 24-25 mpg in the city, and about 30 mpg on the highway. The styling on Mustangs are unbeatable, both the interior and the exterior. The performance is pretty good coming from the 3.8 Liter V6 but its not like the GT or the Cobra. The reliability of the Mustang is great; its never stranded me anywhere, even when its down near 0 degrees in the winter it just starts right up. Overall I would give this car a 10 out of 10 -- it's a wonderful car and I have never once regretted buying it. I would strongly recommend this car to anyone.

Favorite Features

I like the gas mileage from the 3.8L V6, I get consistent mid-20s mpg. The performance was surprisingly good also. The reliability is outstanding.

Suggested Improvements

I wouldn't suggest anything, it's perfect as is.