Used 1998 Ford Mustang Base Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Ford Mustang - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Mustang model:

Most Helpful|
Base made me get a GT
By Ebone

1998 Ford Mustang 2dr Coupe

I bought a 98 Mustang v6 in Feb 09. I knew NOTHING about the specifics of Mustangs, I just wanted one. First night out, I went at it with a Aurora. He ate me alive. I thought I had a fast car!?! Then, it was brought to my attention, that I should've gotten a 5.0. I knew that, but I didn't think it made a difference. I have upgraded (its a 97) to a GT and its a world of difference. Handling, Sound, Speed, and Confidence is on another level. I LOVE my GT. I LOVE it. I bought it with 82k on the dash and in ONE month I have put on 3k. This is the car to have, especially in a big city like Chicago.

Favorite Features

The power. The car has not disappointed me at all. Its whats happening.

Suggested Improvements

I don't know yet, but I don't see the need to do anything to mines except throw a light tint on the windows.

Who said not to buy American?
By jared

1998 Ford Mustang 2dr Coupe

I absolutely love my Mustang. Although it isn't the V8 it still has decent power. The best oart about it is the styling inside and especially out, it makes the car so fun to drive. Ford did something right with this car too becuase I havent had to fix it once. All my friends and family love it.

Favorite Features

I love the stylish looks. The sound of the engine. The reliabilty is surprising.

Suggested Improvements

I just wish the V6 had about 20-40 more horsepower.

My first v6 mustang oh geez!
By NARL3YCHARLIE

1998 Ford Mustang 2dr Coupe

I bought my mustang a year ago as my first car. I gave it a cold air intake as well as the Flowmasters exhaust to give a fine tuned sound. And it sounds great. But this 150 hp car one day fell apart on me. The odometer stopped, it began leaking. Well Everything, it began overheating and timing was off and on top of that later a super duty 4x4 dodge managed to drive up the back of my car at a stop light. Being I fixed only the damages and heating problem this car chugs along showing no weaknesses in this southern Arizona desert heat. If I were to describe this model I would tell you this is a real trooper.

Favorite Features

-body style -mpg -handling

Suggested Improvements

a Dodge Ram protection force field, Reliability

1998 Mustang V6
By silliwi

1998 Ford Mustang 2dr Coupe

I have a 1998 Mustang w/ the 3.8 V6. I got it in September 2006 so it's been 3 years now. It's a pretty good car. I got it from a family member with only 46,000 miles on it in 2006. Now it has 88,000. I've had to replace the tires, and the brakes, windshield, along with the rear differential fluid twice. Other than those things the car has been virtually maintenance free. It's by no means a comfortable car. You feel every bump in the road. The seats are uncomfortable for long drives and it doesn't handle that great. I average about 22 miles per gallon mixed use. I'm not really a sports car kinda person... I think I'll go with something with four doors and better fuel economy...

Favorite Features

Pickup, exterior looks

Suggested Improvements

Better cup holders, better quality interior parts, more supportive seats

Awesome Vehicle
By Kynan R

1998 Ford Mustang 2dr Coupe

I can pretty say this is the best vehicle I have owned thus far. I've killed potholes, ran into snowbanks, and this car just won't bend, except for a little exterior damage. Cruise control just went out last week, but for 200k miles, it's about time something did. So far, that is the only thing other than routine stuff that I've had to replace. Stock sound is awesome, road noise is quiet until about 60, suspension is not quite as stiff as many say, and the backseat is just perfect for the poodle. Overall, fantastic racing vehicle, not so great for family time or winter four-wheeling.

Favorite Features

Awesome stock sound system, great build, and fantastic engine for a V6.

Suggested Improvements

Since it's a race car, maybe lighten the load a bit? Never heard of a 1-ton race car. And what's with the trunk? I can fit one tire in there. Last spark plug on the driver's side is hard to access because of the dipstick, so maybe relocation of the dipstick?