1998 Ford Mustang Base Coupe Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Ford Mustang - Consumer Reviews

1998 Mustang Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Mustang model:

Sort Reviews by

My first v6 mustang oh geez!
By NARL3YCHARLIE

1998 Ford Mustang Coupe 2dr Coupe

I bought my mustang a year ago as my first car. I gave it a cold air intake as well as the Flowmasters exhaust to give a fine tuned sound. And it sounds great. But this 150 hp car one day fell apart on me. The odometer stopped, it began leaking. Well Everything, it began overheating and timing was off and on top of that later a super duty 4x4 dodge managed to drive up the back of my car at a stop light. Being I fixed only the damages and heating problem this car chugs along showing no weaknesses in this southern Arizona desert heat. If I were to describe this model I would tell you this is a real trooper.

Favorite Features

-body style -mpg -handling

Suggested Improvements

a Dodge Ram protection force field, Reliability

1998 Mustang V6
By silliwi

1998 Ford Mustang Coupe 2dr Coupe

I have a 1998 Mustang w/ the 3.8 V6. I got it in September 2006 so it's been 3 years now. It's a pretty good car. I got it from a family member with only 46,000 miles on it in 2006. Now it has 88,000. I've had to replace the tires, and the brakes, windshield, along with the rear differential fluid twice. Other than those things the car has been virtually maintenance free. It's by no means a comfortable car. You feel every bump in the road. The seats are uncomfortable for long drives and it doesn't handle that great. I average about 22 miles per gallon mixed use. I'm not really a sports car kinda person... I think I'll go with something with four doors and better fuel economy...

Favorite Features

Pickup, exterior looks

Suggested Improvements

Better cup holders, better quality interior parts, more supportive seats

Base made me get a GT
By Ebone

1998 Ford Mustang Coupe 2dr Coupe

I bought a 98 Mustang v6 in Feb 09. I knew NOTHING about the specifics of Mustangs, I just wanted one. First night out, I went at it with a Aurora. He ate me alive. I thought I had a fast car!?! Then, it was brought to my attention, that I should've gotten a 5.0. I knew that, but I didn't think it made a difference. I have upgraded (its a 97) to a GT and its a world of difference. Handling, Sound, Speed, and Confidence is on another level. I LOVE my GT. I LOVE it. I bought it with 82k on the dash and in ONE month I have put on 3k. This is the car to have, especially in a big city like Chicago.

Favorite Features

The power. The car has not disappointed me at all. Its whats happening.

Suggested Improvements

I don't know yet, but I don't see the need to do anything to mines except throw a light tint on the windows.

Awesome Vehicle
By Kynan R

1998 Ford Mustang Coupe 2dr Coupe

I can pretty say this is the best vehicle I have owned thus far. I've killed potholes, ran into snowbanks, and this car just won't bend, except for a little exterior damage. Cruise control just went out last week, but for 200k miles, it's about time something did. So far, that is the only thing other than routine stuff that I've had to replace. Stock sound is awesome, road noise is quiet until about 60, suspension is not quite as stiff as many say, and the backseat is just perfect for the poodle. Overall, fantastic racing vehicle, not so great for family time or winter four-wheeling.

Favorite Features

Awesome stock sound system, great build, and fantastic engine for a V6.

Suggested Improvements

Since it's a race car, maybe lighten the load a bit? Never heard of a 1-ton race car. And what's with the trunk? I can fit one tire in there. Last spark plug on the driver's side is hard to access because of the dipstick, so maybe relocation of the dipstick?

Not Bad
By Sean

1998 Ford Mustang Coupe 2dr Coupe

Not a bad car. Fun to drive but surely lacking on the power. We upgraded to a GT after about a year. Had nice comfortable seats.

Favorite Features

Leather seats, manual.

Suggested Improvements

Power improvements.

I just love my '98 Mustang
By Caleb

1998 Ford Mustang Coupe 2dr Coupe

I have a 1998 automatic v6 Mustang. I just love it. It has 218,000 miles and still running great. The only thing that I've had a problem with is the alternator and I only replaced it once. That's the only trouble I've had with it in the 4 years I've had it and I think that's pretty darn good. It handles great, has good power, and good gas mileage. I've been car shopping and I just can't find anything that I like better. Not even the newer Mustangs. I think they perfected the Mustang in '98. It has good power and good gas mileage.I think I'm just going to have to find another '98 Mustang when mine finally gives up the ghost which I'm hoping is a long time from now.

Favorite Features

I love my leather seats. A friend of mine has a newer Mustang with leather seats and we both agree mine are much more comfortable.

Suggested Improvements

Nothing at all

Who said not to buy American?
By jared

1998 Ford Mustang Coupe 2dr Coupe

I absolutely love my Mustang. Although it isn't the V8 it still has decent power. The best oart about it is the styling inside and especially out, it makes the car so fun to drive. Ford did something right with this car too becuase I havent had to fix it once. All my friends and family love it.

Favorite Features

I love the stylish looks. The sound of the engine. The reliabilty is surprising.

Suggested Improvements

I just wish the V6 had about 20-40 more horsepower.

Giddyup Pony
By Adam

1998 Ford Mustang Coupe 2dr Coupe

I just got a 98 5spd V6, and its been a decent car. The fact that it has 215ft/lbs of torque, and an open differential makes driving in the rain less than pleasurable. Handling is subpar as well for a sports car. I have autocrossed it, and while the torque makes up for the lack of horsepower, the handling drags your times down significantly. With some upgrades, it could be a stellar car, but why upgrade it when I can get a better handling and faster car such as the Miata or 300ZX for the same price. All in all, its a decent car that will take a beating, but don't expect it to be a true spors car. This isn't a true sports car, but if you want a sporty cruiser, then this will satisfy you

Favorite Features

RWD, torquey V6

Suggested Improvements

Limited slip differenetial, tighter turn radius, better interior build quality to reduce squeaks and groans, better gas mileage, independent rear suspension

Super Mustang
By HappyJuls

1998 Ford Mustang Coupe 2dr Coupe

My Mustang has been a great car. It has been on many road trips and traveled 180,000 miles and I have had no problem with the car at all. I haven't taken the best care of it (mechanical wise), but it still runs great. I really don't have any major complaints about it! Definitely got my moneys worth out of it.

Favorite Features

I love how I fit into the car. The seat is so comfortable and everything is in perfect reach. It is like the car was made just for me!

Suggested Improvements

The cupholders really aren't too functional for actually holding cups while driving - cups spill out. I would make the opening to trunk larger - lots of trunk space, just hard to get stuff in the trunk. Not much room for other passengers. My car holds me and thats about it.

'98 Ford Mustang
By Powerhorse

1998 Ford Mustang Coupe 2dr Coupe

My 1998 Ford Mustang is by far the best car I have ever owned. It gets about 24-25 mpg in the city, and about 30 mpg on the highway. The styling on Mustangs are unbeatable, both the interior and the exterior. The performance is pretty good coming from the 3.8 Liter V6 but its not like the GT or the Cobra. The reliability of the Mustang is great; its never stranded me anywhere, even when its down near 0 degrees in the winter it just starts right up. Overall I would give this car a 10 out of 10 -- it's a wonderful car and I have never once regretted buying it. I would strongly recommend this car to anyone.

Favorite Features

I like the gas mileage from the 3.8L V6, I get consistent mid-20s mpg. The performance was surprisingly good also. The reliability is outstanding.

Suggested Improvements

I wouldn't suggest anything, it's perfect as is.