Used 1998 Ford Mustang Base Coupe Consumer Reviews - 27 Car Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Ford Mustang Coupe - Consumer Reviews

1998 Ford Mustang Coupe

View reviews for a specific Mustang model:

1998 ford mustang v6
By andrew

1998 Ford Mustang Coupe 2dr Coupe

First sports car ive owned, great car and reliable, owned the car for about 4 years, paint was faded for being a 15 year old car, repainted Rare Alantic Blue. I added cai, and pulleys from AM, best mods for $ made a big defference from stock, i always changed oil every 3k and never had any major problems. Always got me to point A to B no problems, car is easy to wrk on and maintain

Loved my Mustang!
By morganfaith

1998 Ford Mustang Coupe 2dr Coupe

I owned an V6 automatic coupe version of this car and had an overall great experience with it! It was the first car that I could actually call my own since my parents bought it just for me (no more sharing cars!) when I went to college and I had it for almost 2 years. It only had about 83K when I got it and was still going strong at 102K when I sold it. The only maintenance it needed was an oil change every 3,000 miles.

No one believed that it was 98 and was 16 years old when friends and others would ask me how old it was. It was very durable too, I got rear-ended in it at a stop sign by a big Dodge truck and the front end of his truck was almost completely crushed while my bumper only had a few scratches but it was barely noticeable! Also the leather seats were super comfortable and still in great condition when I got in in 2013. Even though it was a coupe, it still felt very roomy with plenty of leg space for the people riding in the back seat, and a child's carseat fit just fine in it too!

The main reason I had to get rid of it was because I am very short (5'1") and so I had to sit extremely close to the steering wheel to reach the pedals. The trunk was also very heavy to lift, and we had to replace the hinges on the doors because the weight of them had wore the hinges down over time. There were also spots on the exterior where the paint was peeled off but that's expected with an older car but it wasn't that noticeable. As with many RWD cars it was sometimes difficult to handle in the rain and the tires would sometimes slightly slide on the road but I was able to keep in in my lane for the most part.

My first v6 mustang oh geez!
By NARL3YCHARLIE

1998 Ford Mustang Coupe 2dr Coupe

I bought my mustang a year ago as my first car. I gave it a cold air intake as well as the Flowmasters exhaust to give a fine tuned sound. And it sounds great. But this 150 hp car one day fell apart on me. The odometer stopped, it began leaking. Well Everything, it began overheating and timing was off and on top of that later a super duty 4x4 dodge managed to drive up the back of my car at a stop light. Being I fixed only the damages and heating problem this car chugs along showing no weaknesses in this southern Arizona desert heat. If I were to describe this model I would tell you this is a real trooper.

-body style -mpg -handling

a Dodge Ram protection force field, Reliability

1998 Mustang V6
By silliwi

1998 Ford Mustang Coupe 2dr Coupe

I have a 1998 Mustang w/ the 3.8 V6. I got it in September 2006 so it's been 3 years now. It's a pretty good car. I got it from a family member with only 46,000 miles on it in 2006. Now it has 88,000. I've had to replace the tires, and the brakes, windshield, along with the rear differential fluid twice. Other than those things the car has been virtually maintenance free. It's by no means a comfortable car. You feel every bump in the road. The seats are uncomfortable for long drives and it doesn't handle that great. I average about 22 miles per gallon mixed use. I'm not really a sports car kinda person... I think I'll go with something with four doors and better fuel economy...

Pickup, exterior looks

Better cup holders, better quality interior parts, more supportive seats

Base made me get a GT
By Ebone

1998 Ford Mustang Coupe 2dr Coupe

I bought a 98 Mustang v6 in Feb 09. I knew NOTHING about the specifics of Mustangs, I just wanted one. First night out, I went at it with a Aurora. He ate me alive. I thought I had a fast car!?! Then, it was brought to my attention, that I should've gotten a 5.0. I knew that, but I didn't think it made a difference. I have upgraded (its a 97) to a GT and its a world of difference. Handling, Sound, Speed, and Confidence is on another level. I LOVE my GT. I LOVE it. I bought it with 82k on the dash and in ONE month I have put on 3k. This is the car to have, especially in a big city like Chicago.

The power. The car has not disappointed me at all. Its whats happening.

I don't know yet, but I don't see the need to do anything to mines except throw a light tint on the windows.