Used 1998 Ford Mustang Coupe Consumer Reviews - 48 Car Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Ford Mustang Coupe - Consumer Reviews

1998 Ford Mustang Coupe

View reviews for a specific Mustang model:

1998 ford mustang v6
By andrew

1998 Ford Mustang Coupe 2dr Coupe

First sports car ive owned, great car and reliable, owned the car for about 4 years, paint was faded for being a 15 year old car, repainted Rare Alantic Blue. I added cai, and pulleys from AM, best mods for $ made a big defference from stock, i always changed oil every 3k and never had any major problems. Always got me to point A to B no problems, car is easy to wrk on and maintain

1998 best bang for the money.
By Jessner Lopez

1998 Ford Mustang Coupe GT 2dr Coupe

The mustang is in my opinion, a very reliable car. I have mine for 3 years before trading it in for a 2004 cobra. And till this day, I still miss my 98. It was a berry reliable automobile, and easy to work on when maintenance is needed. I would recommend the 98 model to anyone.

Loved my Mustang!
By morganfaith

1998 Ford Mustang Coupe 2dr Coupe

I owned an V6 automatic coupe version of this car and had an overall great experience with it! It was the first car that I could actually call my own since my parents bought it just for me (no more sharing cars!) when I went to college and I had it for almost 2 years. It only had about 83K when I got it and was still going strong at 102K when I sold it. The only maintenance it needed was an oil change every 3,000 miles.

No one believed that it was 98 and was 16 years old when friends and others would ask me how old it was. It was very durable too, I got rear-ended in it at a stop sign by a big Dodge truck and the front end of his truck was almost completely crushed while my bumper only had a few scratches but it was barely noticeable! Also the leather seats were super comfortable and still in great condition when I got in in 2013. Even though it was a coupe, it still felt very roomy with plenty of leg space for the people riding in the back seat, and a child's carseat fit just fine in it too!

The main reason I had to get rid of it was because I am very short (5'1") and so I had to sit extremely close to the steering wheel to reach the pedals. The trunk was also very heavy to lift, and we had to replace the hinges on the doors because the weight of them had wore the hinges down over time. There were also spots on the exterior where the paint was peeled off but that's expected with an older car but it wasn't that noticeable. As with many RWD cars it was sometimes difficult to handle in the rain and the tires would sometimes slightly slide on the road but I was able to keep in in my lane for the most part.

Hmmmmm.....
By johnp1984

1998 Ford Mustang Coupe GT 2dr Coupe

I bought my GT with 95k, it currently has 160k and the engine is running strong. Not been as reliable as many here claim.

I only see the recall intake manifold mentioned once! That was a pain in the butt to replace. It hasn't been all that bad, just little annoying stuff going wrong here and there, for example.....x4 O2 sensors, all 4 calipers and rotors replaced, new intake manifold(coolant leak), door hinge, cruise control went out, lower control arms, ball joints, and recently the steering column.

Like i said not all that bad, but people on here are praising it as being soooo reliable, it is a 3 at best as far as build quality reliablitly people!

Ok now the good, solid power from the v8, reliable engine. looks good. gas mileage OK for a v8. i get 18/26 with an auto trans. and driving conservatively.

better build quality, not sure which cheap POS part will need replacing next. better handling would be nice. limited slip diff etc....

The dream I never knew existed!
By LUCKY LORI

1998 Ford Mustang Coupe GT 2dr Coupe

I drove by an dealership & saw this black mustang that caught my eye. I asked to see it, the guys started it and i fell in love! The rumble beats a Harley & I can drive a car! lol This was my 15 yr daughter's dream car and I had no idea until I heard that rumble there is no sweeter sound. She is fast and furious and is a great car. I had male friends want to race etc at my age lol so i got chrome that says "size matters" and put it under the GT 4.6LT on the side it looks like it was made that way and in the back window reads in vinyl "STEP ASIDE BOYS" This has been fun! Like no other car I have had! worried about the snow, heard they are bad in snow! This is a must have car! It's awesome!

THE RUMBLE and the leather seats

Cup holder and wider factory tires