Used 1998 Ford Mustang Coupe Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Ford Mustang Coupe - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Mustang model:

1998 best bang for the money.
By Jessner Lopez

1998 Ford Mustang Coupe GT 2dr Coupe

I recently bought a project mustang. For those out there Chardon know you can perform an engine swap on a '98 with any modular engine. That means any 4.6 will fit. So I replace it with a 2003 gt and ever since never had any issues. The '98 is one of the best looking mustangs out there when it comes to attention to detail on its bodywork, parts are cheap and with a turbo kit sold for $400+ on eBay you can reach 500hp in no time and since a turbo is not pulley driven you will actually do better mpg. This car has no limits and interior design is the same as the '99 to '04 models. Best car for its price. AutoZone sells the 03 engines for $1700 with a 3 year warranty.can't go wrong.

Loved my Mustang!
By morganfaith

1998 Ford Mustang Coupe 2dr Coupe

I owned an V6 automatic coupe version of this car and had an overall great experience with it! It was the first car that I could actually call my own since my parents bought it just for me (no more sharing cars!) when I went to college and I had it for almost 2 years. It only had about 83K when I got it and was still going strong at 102K when I sold it. The only maintenance it needed was an oil change every 3,000 miles.

No one believed that it was 98 and was 16 years old when friends and others would ask me how old it was. It was very durable too, I got rear-ended in it at a stop sign by a big Dodge truck and the front end of his truck was almost completely crushed while my bumper only had a few scratches but it was barely noticeable! Also the leather seats were super comfortable and still in great condition when I got in in 2013. Even though it was a coupe, it still felt very roomy with plenty of leg space for the people riding in the back seat, and a child's carseat fit just fine in it too!

The main reason I had to get rid of it was because I am very short (5'1") and so I had to sit extremely close to the steering wheel to reach the pedals. The trunk was also very heavy to lift, and we had to replace the hinges on the doors because the weight of them had wore the hinges down over time. There were also spots on the exterior where the paint was peeled off but that's expected with an older car but it wasn't that noticeable. As with many RWD cars it was sometimes difficult to handle in the rain and the tires would sometimes slightly slide on the road but I was able to keep in in my lane for the most part.

Hmmmmm.....
By johnp1984

1998 Ford Mustang Coupe GT 2dr Coupe

I bought my GT with 95k, it currently has 160k and the engine is running strong. Not been as reliable as many here claim. I only see the recall intake manifold mentioned once! That was a pain in the butt to replace. It hasn't been all that bad, just little annoying stuff going wrong here and there, for example.....x4 O2 sensors, all 4 calipers and rotors replaced, new intake manifold(coolant leak), door hinge, cruise control went out, lower control arms, ball joints, and recently the steering column. Like i said not all that bad, but people on here are praising it as being soooo reliable, it is a 3 at best as far as build quality reliablitly people!

Ok now the good, solid power from the v8, reliable engine. looks good. gas mileage OK for a v8. i get 18/26 with an auto trans. and driving conservatively.

better build quality, not sure which cheap POS part will need replacing next. better handling would be nice. limited slip diff etc....

The dream I never knew existed!
By LUCKY LORI

1998 Ford Mustang Coupe GT 2dr Coupe

I drove by an dealership & saw this black mustang that caught my eye. I asked to see it, the guys started it and i fell in love! The rumble beats a Harley & I can drive a car! lol This was my 15 yr daughter's dream car and I had no idea until I heard that rumble there is no sweeter sound. She is fast and furious and is a great car. I had male friends want to race etc at my age lol so i got chrome that says "size matters" and put it under the GT 4.6LT on the side it looks like it was made that way and in the back window reads in vinyl "STEP ASIDE BOYS" This has been fun! Like no other car I have had! worried about the snow, heard they are bad in snow! This is a must have car! It's awesome!

THE RUMBLE and the leather seats

Cup holder and wider factory tires

Sweet Ride
By cyanide

1998 Ford Mustang Coupe GT 2dr Coupe

Bright red, lowered, custom exhaust, headlights, rims, was the best car I ever bought. I even had 4 trophies won from 4 differnt car shows I took her to. Then March of this year 2010, some moron pulled out in front of me. The radiator met the motor and my custom cold air intake splintered under the hood. I wasnt injured! They are built as tough as the look. I miss her everyday, buy one! You will never look back! :)

Styling

car needed to come with 3 in exhaust, standard! but it didn't. other than that no improvements needed