Used 1998 Ford Mustang Convertible Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Ford Mustang - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Mustang model:

Mustang 98 Conv
By ryan822

1998 Ford Mustang Convertible 2dr Convertible

Great car...had mine for 6 years, bought it when it had a little over 100k needless to say i added another 150 k on it. Engine is extremely reliable as long as you maintain regular oil changes. Only bad side of this car is weather!!! be very careful in the rain and snow, do not drive over 30 miles an hour in the rain and park it when it snows.

Project Car.
By amadorklan

1998 Ford Mustang Convertible GT 2dr Convertible

I purchased a 1998 GT as a project car to keep and tinker with. Needless to say this will be a good challenge for me. There a few things to repair and customize. Above all the engine is rumbling like a champ. LOVE! the engine and exhaust sound. Black and tan interior match very well and replacement parts are fair in price. I plan on doing some upgrades to the engines. Even as a used car, a GT 4.6L has a lot of power and will give incredible speeds. Parents beware, you should not buy your teenager such a powerful car. Buy they aa base mustang V6/V4.

Favorite Features

Handling and engine strength. Not for teenagers or new drivers.

Suggested Improvements

Constant maintenance and patience.

old man's dream machine
By dieter

1998 Ford Mustang Convertible GT 2dr Convertible

I'm 63 yrs young and I've had a lot of different cars in my life. My last car got totaled so I went looking for a muscle car. I'm tired of 4s and 6s. I loked around for about 2 months. I found my perfect car, a 1998 mustang gt convertible. I've had it for about 9 months, and had a blast in it. It had 120,000 miles on it, and I haven't had a bit of trouble with it. All my old friends ask me about gas mileage, I tell them I could care less. I give them a ride in it with the top down and they want to buy one. Of course they have to glue their tupee's on a little better. I have trouble judging distances on parking so this is a great fit for me. I will have no other car than a mustang!!

Favorite Features

Leather seats, handling, peppy v8

Suggested Improvements

Should market more toward senior citizens

I miss this car
By galexe

1998 Ford Mustang Convertible 2dr Convertible

I really miss my car. Someone just hit and ran me in a head on collision. It looked like a small fender bender but after the mechanic looked at it they said the bar the transmission is attached to really bent. Making this car totaled. I am so sad. I loved it. Bought it new and drove it for 10 years. Would have lasted forever had this not happened. And it was beautiful. I like it much better than the newer models. Sad, sad, day for me.

Favorite Features

One button convertible, steering was impeccable, exterior design, when top was down I could load a huge couch into my car, I brought ten pieces of patio furniture piled on my car with no problem, color (yellow), easy to clean, quality paint

Suggested Improvements

Radio button print wore off, rearview mirror kept falling off, after 100,000 miles the car would shake when braking at 60 mph, ragtop got a little rusty in areas.

Blast to drive!
By LA Fun

1998 Ford Mustang Convertible GT 2dr Convertible

Had a GT 20 years ago, was fun to drive then, even more fun now. Convertibles are a blast, like riding a motorcycle but more comfortable, the V-8 power is awesome, can easily spin the tires. Seats and position are comfortable, back seat is fine for kids only. Handles quick, a little light in the rear though. The tops wear out and run $400-$800. Real fun to drive, turns heads. Plenty of power.

Favorite Features

Electric top, comfortable front seats, quick handling, race car feel.

Suggested Improvements

Reliability has never been good, too much plastic, leaks, cracks, build quality could be better - it's no Lexus but it's still a good value.