Used 1998 Ford Mustang GT Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Ford Mustang - Consumer Reviews

1998 Ford Mustang

View reviews for a specific Mustang model:

Hmmmmm.....
By johnp1984

1998 Ford Mustang GT 2dr Coupe

I bought my GT with 95k, it currently has 160k and the engine is running strong. Not been as reliable as many here claim. I only see the recall intake manifold mentioned once! That was a pain in the butt to replace. It hasn't been all that bad, just little annoying stuff going wrong here and there, for example.....x4 O2 sensors, all 4 calipers and rotors replaced, new intake manifold(coolant leak), door hinge, cruise control went out, lower control arms, ball joints, and recently the steering column. Like i said not all that bad, but people on here are praising it as being soooo reliable, it is a 3 at best as far as build quality reliablitly people!

Favorite Features

Ok now the good, solid power from the v8, reliable engine. looks good. gas mileage OK for a v8. i get 18/26 with an auto trans. and driving conservatively.

Suggested Improvements

better build quality, not sure which cheap POS part will need replacing next. better handling would be nice. limited slip diff etc....

The dream I never knew existed!
By LUCKY LORI

1998 Ford Mustang GT 2dr Coupe

I drove by an dealership & saw this black mustang that caught my eye. I asked to see it, the guys started it and i fell in love! The rumble beats a Harley & I can drive a car! lol This was my 15 yr daughter's dream car and I had no idea until I heard that rumble there is no sweeter sound. She is fast and furious and is a great car. I had male friends want to race etc at my age lol so i got chrome that says "size matters" and put it under the GT 4.6LT on the side it looks like it was made that way and in the back window reads in vinyl "STEP ASIDE BOYS" This has been fun! Like no other car I have had! worried about the snow, heard they are bad in snow! This is a must have car! It's awesome!

Favorite Features

THE RUMBLE and the leather seats

Suggested Improvements

Cup holder and wider factory tires

Sweet Ride
By cyanide

1998 Ford Mustang GT 2dr Coupe

Bright red, lowered, custom exhaust, headlights, rims, was the best car I ever bought. I even had 4 trophies won from 4 differnt car shows I took her to. Then March of this year 2010, some moron pulled out in front of me. The radiator met the motor and my custom cold air intake splintered under the hood. I wasnt injured! They are built as tough as the look. I miss her everyday, buy one! You will never look back! :)

Favorite Features

Styling

Suggested Improvements

car needed to come with 3 in exhaust, standard! but it didn't. other than that no improvements needed

My Dream!
By 98GT

1998 Ford Mustang GT 2dr Coupe

im currently 16 years old. i have wanted a mustang since i was 8 years old. i never even considered anything else. and im glad i didnt.. i originally was looking at a 2006 black mustang V6 with an automatic transmission and leather seats but i ended up buying almost the exact opposite. i have a white 1998 mustang with a V8, a manual tranny, and cloth seats and i still love it. this car is everything a teenage boy probably shouldnt have. but i honestly believe that u can get yourself just as dead in a V6 as u can in a V8. this car is what i always dreamt of. i love the smooth shifts, the mach audio, and how i can spin tires by barely giving it any gas at all. this car has the power!

Favorite Features

all power. the pony power under the hood.. i put new flowmasters and coldair intake on it. i love that V8 sound. its amazing. my cousin has a 1965 fastback and we have compared them and even though the classic wins everytime, mine still comes close.

Suggested Improvements

headlights stink. im puttin new ones on soon, i hope they help. and the cupholders arent functional at all..especially with a 5 speed.

Love my 'Stang
By Montstang98

1998 Ford Mustang GT 2dr Coupe

I have owned a few Mustangs over the years, but the 96-98's are my favorite. This is my first GT and I love the 4.6 liter powerhouse. It has a nice rumbling exhaust and is very quick! This Mustang GT gets 24 in town and close to 30 mpg on the hwy... not sure why edmunds only says 15 cty and 24hwy... any way the car handles great accelerates quickly and is just fun, fun, fun!!!

Favorite Features

4.6L V-8 with the 5spd manual transmission make this car not only fun to drive but has an incredible sound when driving and shifting gears...

Suggested Improvements

With the 5spd manual transmission the Cup holders aren't good for much more than a 12 oz. can of soda...Needed to think more about their thirstier consumers