Used 1998 Ford Mustang GT Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Ford Mustang - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Mustang model:

Project Car.
By amadorklan

1998 Ford Mustang GT 2dr Convertible

I purchased a 1998 GT as a project car to keep and tinker with. Needless to say this will be a good challenge for me. There a few things to repair and customize. Above all the engine is rumbling like a champ. LOVE! the engine and exhaust sound. Black and tan interior match very well and replacement parts are fair in price. I plan on doing some upgrades to the engines. Even as a used car, a GT 4.6L has a lot of power and will give incredible speeds. Parents beware, you should not buy your teenager such a powerful car. Buy they aa base mustang V6/V4.

Handling and engine strength. Not for teenagers or new drivers.

Constant maintenance and patience.

old man's dream machine
By dieter

1998 Ford Mustang GT 2dr Convertible

I'm 63 yrs young and I've had a lot of different cars in my life. My last car got totaled so I went looking for a muscle car. I'm tired of 4s and 6s. I loked around for about 2 months. I found my perfect car, a 1998 mustang gt convertible. I've had it for about 9 months, and had a blast in it. It had 120,000 miles on it, and I haven't had a bit of trouble with it. All my old friends ask me about gas mileage, I tell them I could care less. I give them a ride in it with the top down and they want to buy one. Of course they have to glue their tupee's on a little better. I have trouble judging distances on parking so this is a great fit for me. I will have no other car than a mustang!!

Leather seats, handling, peppy v8

Should market more toward senior citizens

Blast to drive!
By LA Fun

1998 Ford Mustang GT 2dr Convertible

Had a GT 20 years ago, was fun to drive then, even more fun now. Convertibles are a blast, like riding a motorcycle but more comfortable, the V-8 power is awesome, can easily spin the tires. Seats and position are comfortable, back seat is fine for kids only. Handles quick, a little light in the rear though. The tops wear out and run $400-$800. Real fun to drive, turns heads. Plenty of power.

Electric top, comfortable front seats, quick handling, race car feel.

Reliability has never been good, too much plastic, leaks, cracks, build quality could be better - it's no Lexus but it's still a good value.

Phat GT Ragtop
By Phat Ragtop!

1998 Ford Mustang GT 2dr Convertible

Have waited a long time to find a ragtop which was not driven into the ground by a youthful driver. If you are lucky enough to find one as I did, adult owned by only 2 owners, it is a GREAT car to drive and performance is very good!

Top goes down! Stereo great too.

None at this time.

My wife loves it!
By Realtor 67

1998 Ford Mustang GT 2dr Convertible

I bought the laser red GT Convertible new in 1998 for my wife's 49th birthday Its just had its 30K dealer service and only 3 minor items showed up. The rear brake pads and the original battery are nearing replacement, and there is slight oil seepage at the steering rack (not enough to even spot my garage floor though). Other than replacing the original tires at 22K miles and normal maintenance, I have spent $0 on repairs. It's been trouble free and burns no oil between 3K mile changes. It has all factory options except the engine block heater and they all still work fine too. I gave the interior a 7 only because legroom is a bit cramped for tall drivers and the seat belt frays.

We love the styling, reliablity, power, and performance. It runs fine on regular gas and gets about 23 mpg on the Hiway. Comfortable leather front seats. Optional Mach 460 sound system is one of the best. Surprisingly good paint quality, fit & finish for a car in its price range.

Though the front seats are comfortable, about 2 inches more front leg room is needed for 6 foot and taller drivers. The boot for the convertible top fits great but takes up most all of the 11 cubic foot trunk when stowed there; so, make the trunk bigger or the boot more compactable.