Used 1998 Ford Mustang Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Ford Mustang - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Mustang model:

1998 best bang for the money.
By Jessner Lopez

1998 Ford Mustang GT 2dr Coupe

The mustang is in my opinion, a very reliable car. I have mine for 3 years before trading it in for a 2004 cobra. And till this day, I still miss my 98. It was a berry reliable automobile, and easy to work on when maintenance is needed. I would recommend the 98 model to anyone.

Loved my Mustang!
By morganfaith

1998 Ford Mustang 2dr Coupe

I owned an V6 automatic coupe version of this car and had an overall great experience with it! It was the first car that I could actually call my own since my parents bought it just for me (no more sharing cars!) when I went to college and I had it for almost 2 years. It only had about 83K when I got it and was still going strong at 102K when I sold it. The only maintenance it needed was an oil change every 3,000 miles.

No one believed that it was 98 and was 16 years old when friends and others would ask me how old it was. It was very durable too, I got rear-ended in it at a stop sign by a big Dodge truck and the front end of his truck was almost completely crushed while my bumper only had a few scratches but it was barely noticeable! Also the leather seats were super comfortable and still in great condition when I got in in 2013. Even though it was a coupe, it still felt very roomy with plenty of leg space for the people riding in the back seat, and a child's carseat fit just fine in it too!

The main reason I had to get rid of it was because I am very short (5'1") and so I had to sit extremely close to the steering wheel to reach the pedals. The trunk was also very heavy to lift, and we had to replace the hinges on the doors because the weight of them had wore the hinges down over time. There were also spots on the exterior where the paint was peeled off but that's expected with an older car but it wasn't that noticeable. As with many RWD cars it was sometimes difficult to handle in the rain and the tires would sometimes slightly slide on the road but I was able to keep in in my lane for the most part.

Mustang 98 Conv
By ryan822

1998 Ford Mustang 2dr Convertible

Great car...had mine for 6 years, bought it when it had a little over 100k needless to say i added another 150 k on it. Engine is extremely reliable as long as you maintain regular oil changes. Only bad side of this car is weather!!! be very careful in the rain and snow, do not drive over 30 miles an hour in the rain and park it when it snows.

Project Car.
By amadorklan

1998 Ford Mustang GT 2dr Convertible

I purchased a 1998 GT as a project car to keep and tinker with. Needless to say this will be a good challenge for me. There a few things to repair and customize. Above all the engine is rumbling like a champ. LOVE! the engine and exhaust sound. Black and tan interior match very well and replacement parts are fair in price. I plan on doing some upgrades to the engines. Even as a used car, a GT 4.6L has a lot of power and will give incredible speeds. Parents beware, you should not buy your teenager such a powerful car. Buy they aa base mustang V6/V4.

Handling and engine strength. Not for teenagers or new drivers.

Constant maintenance and patience.

Hmmmmm.....
By johnp1984

1998 Ford Mustang GT 2dr Coupe

I bought my GT with 95k, it currently has 160k and the engine is running strong. Not been as reliable as many here claim. I only see the recall intake manifold mentioned once! That was a pain in the butt to replace. It hasn't been all that bad, just little annoying stuff going wrong here and there, for example.....x4 O2 sensors, all 4 calipers and rotors replaced, new intake manifold(coolant leak), door hinge, cruise control went out, lower control arms, ball joints, and recently the steering column. Like i said not all that bad, but people on here are praising it as being soooo reliable, it is a 3 at best as far as build quality reliablitly people!

Ok now the good, solid power from the v8, reliable engine. looks good. gas mileage OK for a v8. i get 18/26 with an auto trans. and driving conservatively.

better build quality, not sure which cheap POS part will need replacing next. better handling would be nice. limited slip diff etc....

• SUV