1997 Ford Mustang 3.8L V6 5-speed Manual Consumer Review - Reliable attractive commuter car

1997 Ford Mustang - Consumer Review

Reliable attractive commuter car
By Zowie on

1997 Ford Mustang 2dr Coupe

Own V6 5spd for 6+ years and drive it daily. I am over 40 and have driven a wide variety of company vehicles. I've only owned GMs and Fords, with models years dating from 1970 to 2003. This has been the most reliable car I've ever owned. The only thing that broke (excluding normal maintenance stuff) during the first 120k was the power seat switch. After 120K, I started having lots of problems with the rear. But engine, electronics, AC, interior are still good. In snow: HORRIBLE wheel spin. Gets stuck very easily and can't climb inclines most cars handle with ease. But steering and braking control is ok for this type of car.

Favorite Features

I love the shape and proportions. Old school Fords like Mustang, Crown Vic and Econoline have good reliability and affordable repair costs. V6 is a good value used - if it wasn't a rental or abused by a teen. Lots of aftermarket doodads available.

Suggested Improvements

Shifter too far forward for max comfort. Gearing could be a little lower. The one flimsy cup holder is in the way of the gear shift and hand brake. Poor quality leather on seats, but fabric ones are decent quality.