1997 Ford Mustang Coupe - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Mustang model:
not for up north
By erin on 04/18/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Ford Mustang Coupe 2dr Coupe

I love it, it's my baby. Although I recommend that if you live up north in the snow do NOT by this car unless you want frequent heart attacks. It slides and is uncontrollable. Its also skids a lot in the rain so be careful. Definitely a car meant for sunny days. Found rust starting to build in car's structure. Fun to drive though during the summer.

It's a good car
By texasstang on 02/21/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Ford Mustang Coupe 2dr Coupe

I purchased my mustang in 1999 used with only 7000 miles on it. Since I have put about 90000 miles on it. It has been a good car overall with a few problems. I am now on my third intake manifold but this problem is covered under recall for the next 7 years! I also go through tires on an annual basis, but with a Z rated tire that is bound to happen. I get about 18mpg around town and 22mpg on the highway.

It has its problems
By Andy L. on 01/01/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Ford Mustang Coupe 2dr Coupe

I am a college student, and if i had it to do over again, i would have bought the exteneded service that the dealer offered with it. It would have saved in the long run. Anyway, my story begins with a broken speedometer, i have had two different dealerships look at it, and neither can give me a good answer to fix my problem. they have both said to replace the cluster, i have put two other clusters in it, and neither have fixed the problem. also it die's when coming to a stop. i would also recommend a different car if you are a college student (i know your not paying attention anymore) because of the high insurance... sorry, thats just how it is.

Great Value
By Stangs4Me on 11/17/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Ford Mustang Coupe 2dr Coupe

I just bought a Mustang as my first car. It is a great value for your money and a stylish car at that. It isn't bad for fuel economy with its large 3.8L engine. I recommend.

97 Ford Mustang
By Mike Hubbell on 07/11/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Ford Mustang Coupe 2dr Coupe

Overall it is a very good car. I enjoy driving it bacause it handles well and looks great. What it lacks in luxury and comfort it makes up for in fun and flash, but a second cup holder would have been nice. I will say I had to do a few minor repairs. Twice I have had coolant leaks that were pretty major work. Other than that it was just the usual belts and plugs kind of repair. I also recently had to replace an ignition coil. Overall it was a pretty reliable car.

My wife's mid life crisis car
By My supra is faster on 06/25/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Ford Mustang Coupe GT 2dr Coupe

Well my wife wanted a sports car too (I have a supra turbo its faster hehe). We looked at a lot of different one's but agreed on the mustang. I was extremely surprised at the improvement on the the performance of the automatic. I've driven a few of the pre 93 automatic models and they were complete TURDS. Stomp on the gas and those 17" wheels will light up without hesitation. Haven't had it long enough to judge reliability but it has survived a couple donuts!!!

1997 ford mustang gt coupe
By no camaro's on 05/21/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Ford Mustang Coupe GT 2dr Coupe

after a few years into producing this body style, ford has knocked out alot of the kinks. it wouldn't be till much later did ford add the desperately needed independent rear suspension, as the rear wheels skip around over uneven corners. but 5 years later, the only problem i had was the plastic intake manifold that ford will replace for free. they do reinstall an aluminum intake mainfold, but after getting stuck on the george washington bridge, it is a painful lesson learned too late. no other problems though, but i think this body style is one for future generations to deem a classic.

Mustang Forever
By Hawk5 on 03/02/02 14:46 PM (PST)

1997 Ford Mustang Coupe 2dr Coupe

The only car I ever wanted was a Mustang, sure test driving the Camaro Z28 was nice, and the older Corvette was a thrill, but it was not close to the Mustang me and my dad test drove, I knew right off, that was my car. I have never had any engine problems. I honestly beat the hell out of the car too. My next car will be in 2004 when the redesigned Mustang comes out. I could afford a Vette or BMW, but a Mustang is the only car i want to drive.