Used 1997 Ford Mustang Coupe Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1997 Ford Mustang - Consumer Reviews

1997 Ford Mustang Coupe

View reviews for a specific Mustang model:

Worst Vehicle Ever...
By Jose

1997 Ford Mustang Coupe 2dr Coupe

Worst vehicle ever. When we first bought the vehicle from the dealership the A/C did not work at all, only one car key was issued, and it had aftermarket tire rims that a tow truck did not even have the size of the lug nuts. The worst part was the fuel economy. $20.00 worth of gas will only give you approximately 40 miles of diving in the city. Most of all the customer service and repair service was no help at all. Once you drive off the lot your on your own. And there's no trunk space or interior space.

Favorite Features

Have no favorite features.

Suggested Improvements

Make better customer service and repair service, fuel economy, and more space.

Great sports car
By SS

1997 Ford Mustang Coupe 2dr Coupe

This is a great car that gets great gas mileage and looks sporty and looks fast (though it really does lack HP). It is fun to drive. Not good for a "family" type car (only 2 doors) and definitely not good in snow (rear wheel drive). Might as well park it for the winter if you live in a snow state. It's real fun, dependable and affordable - but its not a "comfort" car at all - better stick to a luxury type car if you want all the bells and whistles and to be super comfy!

Favorite Features

Fun to drive - looks sporty and fast. Great gas mileage (24-ish).

Suggested Improvements

Need more leg and head room in the rear. Needs more HP. Need cup holders - one isn't enough.

Dry Weather Car
By Ian

1997 Ford Mustang Coupe 2dr Coupe

If you want to drive this car in the snow or rain; go slow! Traction is reduced due to the classic light Mustang rear end, and fish tail you will! Fun in dry weather, though. Low end torque is okay, don't try to pass anyone in 4th or 5th gear, the acceleration isn't there (very sluggish or non-existent, down shift -- or GET A GT!) Also, lightweight body means that you feel the gusty cross winds (at times, I felt like I was driving an Escort). Cornering is not very good, hydraulic assist steering gives feel of sports car, but still in the "not quite there" category. I've been stranded 4 times in this car: clutch, transmission, radiator, thermostat all failed catastrophically.

Favorite Features

Car heats up quickly in winter, fun car to drive, MPG isn't bad for a 6 cylinder buggy. Styling is good in & out.

Suggested Improvements

Throw of stick shift is like a truck-- that stinks. Trunk design is bad, cooling system is awful, transmission is difficult (mine failed/2001), no plastic rims, intake vents are fake as are the brake cooling scoops. Valve tapping, idles rough new (factory standard to sound more like the GT).

My first car
By Missin my baby

1997 Ford Mustang Coupe 2dr Coupe

I got this car a few months before i got my license. It was a wonderful car. The gas mileage was ok but not wonderful. One of the problems with my car was the fuel gauge did not work so I had to estimate when the tank needed to be refilled. I was in an accident and this car was totaled. I am very glad I was in this car, and not some other sports car like a Corvette because I wasn't even hurt ... which in itself was amazing considering the accident. I will own another Mustang when I end up paying for my own car when I'm older.

Favorite Features

The engine, and the exterior design.

Suggested Improvements

Addition of a CD player, more space for passengers in the back seat.

Big Car for the Money
By BlueSuedeJay

1997 Ford Mustang Coupe GT 2dr Coupe

Mustang is a great car to work on. Upgrading performance is easy and very inexpensive. Eibach 2" lowering springs made it able to handle any turn at 60 miles per hour, for only $375 installed. The sound on these mustangs are unmistakeable, with a cheap 2 chamber flow master exhaust. Free up the ponies and let them ride. Its a sin to have a stock Mustang GT. Better all around compared to my 2002 Mercedes c230 kompressor. Wish I still had the Mustang.

Favorite Features

Performance.

Suggested Improvements

None. For the price range.