1997 Ford Mustang - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Mustang model:
My first car
By Missin my baby on 07/31/05 23:29 PM (PDT)

1997 Ford Mustang 2dr Coupe

I got this car a few months before i got my license. It was a wonderful car. The gas mileage was ok but not wonderful. One of the problems with my car was the fuel gauge did not work so I had to estimate when the tank needed to be refilled. I was in an accident and this car was totaled. I am very glad I was in this car, and not some other sports car like a Corvette because I wasn't even hurt ... which in itself was amazing considering the accident. I will own another Mustang when I end up paying for my own car when I'm older.

A Fast Fun Daily Driver!
By The Extreme on 05/30/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Ford Mustang 2dr Coupe

Almost 7 years & over 142,000 miles later, I have no regrets. This car has never leaked oil - not even one single drop! It still runs strong and idles smoothly. In all those miles, the only major unexpected repair cost I've had was a $300 mass air meter. In short, take care of a Mustang and it will take care of you. Mine sure has - I was blown away by the Mustang's reliability. Even my wife, Ford-hater she is, will concede on this one. I wanted a GT (still do), but the fun factor is still here, and in a car that has four seats (no matter the rear two are small). I'm getting another car this summer... another Mustang!

JC's car
By JCH on 05/10/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Ford Mustang 2dr Coupe

The car doesn’t eat that much gas and handles very well. It’s built pretty strong, I’ve already gone through a fence and all it did is leave a scratch on the paint. the only thing I don’t like about the car is that I have a standard Mustang and it doesn't have that much power.

The sports car that's built like a truck
By DaveSolt on 07/18/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Ford Mustang 2dr Coupe

180,000 miles and never had it worked on! It's the car that's built like a truck! We do have an AC problem that developed around 2001, but other than that it has been rock solid with no maintenance other than oil changes and air filter.

not for up north
By erin on 04/18/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Ford Mustang 2dr Coupe

I love it, it's my baby. Although I recommend that if you live up north in the snow do NOT by this car unless you want frequent heart attacks. It slides and is uncontrollable. Its also skids a lot in the rain so be careful. Definitely a car meant for sunny days. Found rust starting to build in car's structure. Fun to drive though during the summer.

It's a good car
By texasstang on 02/21/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Ford Mustang 2dr Coupe

I purchased my mustang in 1999 used with only 7000 miles on it. Since I have put about 90000 miles on it. It has been a good car overall with a few problems. I am now on my third intake manifold but this problem is covered under recall for the next 7 years! I also go through tires on an annual basis, but with a Z rated tire that is bound to happen. I get about 18mpg around town and 22mpg on the highway.

It has its problems
By Andy L. on 01/01/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Ford Mustang 2dr Coupe

I am a college student, and if i had it to do over again, i would have bought the exteneded service that the dealer offered with it. It would have saved in the long run. Anyway, my story begins with a broken speedometer, i have had two different dealerships look at it, and neither can give me a good answer to fix my problem. they have both said to replace the cluster, i have put two other clusters in it, and neither have fixed the problem. also it die's when coming to a stop. i would also recommend a different car if you are a college student (i know your not paying attention anymore) because of the high insurance... sorry, thats just how it is.

Great Value
By Stangs4Me on 11/17/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Ford Mustang 2dr Coupe

I just bought a Mustang as my first car. It is a great value for your money and a stylish car at that. It isn't bad for fuel economy with its large 3.8L engine. I recommend.

97 Ford Mustang
By Mike Hubbell on 07/11/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Ford Mustang 2dr Coupe

Overall it is a very good car. I enjoy driving it bacause it handles well and looks great. What it lacks in luxury and comfort it makes up for in fun and flash, but a second cup holder would have been nice. I will say I had to do a few minor repairs. Twice I have had coolant leaks that were pretty major work. Other than that it was just the usual belts and plugs kind of repair. I also recently had to replace an ignition coil. Overall it was a pretty reliable car.

Mustang Forever
By Hawk5 on 03/02/02 14:46 PM (PST)

1997 Ford Mustang 2dr Coupe

The only car I ever wanted was a Mustang, sure test driving the Camaro Z28 was nice, and the older Corvette was a thrill, but it was not close to the Mustang me and my dad test drove, I knew right off, that was my car. I have never had any engine problems. I honestly beat the hell out of the car too. My next car will be in 2004 when the redesigned Mustang comes out. I could afford a Vette or BMW, but a Mustang is the only car i want to drive.