Used 1997 Ford Mustang Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1997 Ford Mustang - Consumer Reviews

1997 Ford Mustang

View reviews for a specific Mustang model:

Fun Car
By Vince

1997 Ford Mustang 2dr Coupe

I bought this car at the beginning of 2008 and I had no problems in the snow. During the following year I drove it as my daily driver in blizzards and snow storms and I didn't get in any accidents. To those afraid of rear wheel drive, just be careful and keep the drifting to impress your friends and your sweetheart at a reasonable speed in the snow and you'll be fine. I drove a year and a half with very little maintenance. I had to replace the power window regulator, but other than that I don't recall any work I had to do other than maintenance until I reached about 140,000 and I found oil in the coolant reservoir(head gasket) so I upgraded to the more dependable, and older 5.0 V8

Favorite Features

looks nice, fun to drive(and drift), easy to repair, pretty dependable

Suggested Improvements

It seems like a lot of V6 mustangs from the 94 and on era had a problem with head gaskets at around 140,000 miles. Also tall people wont like the seating and leg room(short people have no problems), not fast at all compared to a pontiac grand prix, and the single inconvenient cup holder.

Great Car Seriously
By chenz380

1997 Ford Mustang 2dr Coupe

I got brainwashed by people saying Toyota is reliable vehicles and American cars are junk. I found that to be not true so I went with my dream of getting ether a mustang or a camaro/firebird. This car cost me $2800 and it has 143K miles and runs great compared to my Toyota Celica with 70K miles having gone through 3 engines. Warms up great, runs great even in -20F weather, and contrary to people who can't drive rwd in the snow, it handles fine in the snow unless you like drifting which I LOVE to do! The people who had bad luck just found a lemon and didn't know any better. Like any car, a poorly maintained car won't last long. Get your used cars checked before getting tricked by salesmen.

Favorite Features

Reliability, look(sorta) simple/easy to modify interior, cool black interior, easy to work on engine bay, stock all wheel disk brakes (not standard on camaro/firebird base models), fun do drive

Suggested Improvements

stiffer handling would be nice, better seating design for people who are taller than 6'(literally a pain in the neck), short shifter(which was fixed on newer models), more hp PLEASE, and a supercharger option for the V6 (I do believe is a soon to be option as of 2009)

Great Car
By ffeeffee

1997 Ford Mustang GT 2dr Coupe

If you keep up with the maintenance this car is great. Perfect for the performance-minded looking for a new toy. Overall good car.

Favorite Features

Stock power is nice. Potential power is very nice

Suggested Improvements

Improvements you can make yourself, if you own this car, are some PI parts for your NPI4.6, and a nice cobra bumper/wheels. You'll be in heaven.

Ride it my pony!
By GIR

1997 Ford Mustang GT 2dr Coupe

I love this car! Handles great, pretty good acceleration and beautiful exterior! Big trunk small opening though. Front seats very comfortable, rear seats lack leg room. I love to fire it up and listen to it growl, sounds awesome when you step on it and it screams. Lots of after market parts make this a fun father son project! Go American muscle!

Favorite Features

Quick, light weight, good handling awesome track car!

Okay
By mtee

1997 Ford Mustang 2dr Coupe

Very fun to drive and love the look of this body style. Be careful when you get in the higher mileage. After 120,000 just about everything that can go wrong on a car went wrong on this. In the last year: transmission, clutch, mass airflow sensor, a/c clutch, alternator and hoses. And after all this I still don't trust the car, but that's what I expect from a Ford.

Favorite Features

Exterior styling, great gas mileage for a sporty 6-cylinder and good torque.

Suggested Improvements

Have Honda, Toyota or Nissan build the engine and slap a Ford tag on it.